ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Machine Polish - What to buy - 1.2/197

Hello there.

I currently have a Nautical blue Clio Rep which is in need for some paint correction, there are various swirls and small marks that could be removed and i want to give the whole car a clean shine after this as all been done.

My friend has a red 197, under normal light it looks fine but when the sun hits it there are loads of swirls about which need to be removed badly.

Right, we are going to get our hands on a Megs G220 DA polisher.

We currently wash the cars fine using the two bucket method, quality drying towels and plan to clay the cars just before this is done. We have the basics like AG shampoo, SRP, Tar Remover, Megs Swirl-X, Megs Scratch-X, Gold Class Wax.

What do we need to buy in terms of pads for what we are wanting then what product to remove the swirls etc.? Is swirl-x enough or do you think something different should be used?

Then once we have removed swirls a good polish to shine the car up, ive looked at poorboys black hole, will this be any good for our cars seen as it is for use on dark coloured ones?

Cheers
Adam.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
First off mate, you say you are going to get your hands on a machine polisher. With that comment I assume you have never used one before?

If you haven't i'd get practicing before you unleash it on an expensive car.

Friend or not. Da polisher or not you have no idea what the paint could be like and you could damage it. These are facts.

I'd forget about the polishing until you've practiced and realised what it requires to correct a car, get some scrap panels and spend time perfecting your technique. Until then buy a finishing pad and go over the car with the machine and some blackhole. It'll give you a fantastic finish before your LSP and you won't do any damage.

Buy from here and use DW2 at the checkout for free delivery.... http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Hex_Logic_Buffing_Pads_Premium_Pad_Construction_p/bufx_106hex5.htm
Get the black one for Blackhole.

Research here... about DA polishing... http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

On there you'll find some tips ect... on what polishes to use. I'd look into maybe the 3m sample set from Elitecarcare and some HEX pads from the above link. The HEX pads work better with the DA.

Personally ditch the SwirlX and replace it with Menzerna 3.02 for the harsher marks, 85RE for refinement.

Sonus pads are very hard wearing, so are good for newbies. Don't forget you need spot pads and back plates for the tighter areas, like bumpers and pillars.

Ahhh, Nautical blue reps;

View attachment 55385

IMG_1375.gif

Not a 320d
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...polisher-sonus-and-menzerna-kit/prod_525.html

"cliosport" discount dont forget.

Read into it, read into it very well before you have a crack. DA is not dangerous. But if your paintwork is thin as f**k to begin with and you jump in with a compound without working the polishes up lightest to heavyest, then youll end up with pinholes in the laquer, or no laquer atall. I try encourage people to do this themselvs as its very easy once you get the hang of it.

Black hole is a heavy filler glaze, a good base for sealants and waxes, great product...BUT...... If you want to remove swirls and not hide them then look into something else, although I dont see the harm in using the DA to remove dead laquer and s**tty marks first. I guess it depends what you want to put on top to protect it. Wax or sealant.

You might want to use black hole and not bother machine polishing.....

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

Have a skeg through that, watch some vids on Youtube on the G220 and Das6.

Im not trying to discourage you, just be aware of the miniscule possibility that joe bloggs owned the car prior to you and took t cut to it once a week.