ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Machining the flywheel

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
Anyone tried this, how much weight could you shave from the 5.3kg stock one?

It seems the K-Tec is 3.7kg

I did some reasearch on here about lightening the standard flywheel and there was quite a bit of advice not to, as they arent the strongest once machined apparently!

I was told you could take a max of 1kg really off it by rik wood.

To light can have a negative effect on the inertia etc.

I had one on my punto, was s**t at cruising, and hills? No chance. But was rapid in pick up, and when changing down gears as the revs dropped quickly.

Golf GTD Mk7
thought the lightweight one from ktec is about 3kg lighter and is supposed to make the car more revvy?

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
I did some reasearch on here about lightening the standard flywheel and there was quite a bit of advice not to, as they arent the strongest once machined apparently!

can you link me to this thread?

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
I was told you could take a max of 1kg really off it by rik wood.

To light can have a negative effect on the inertia etc.

I had one on my punto, was s**t at cruising, and hills? No chance. But was rapid in pick up, and when changing down gears as the revs dropped quickly.

Its a pure rally car so driveability is not an issue

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
thought the lightweight one from ktec is about 3kg lighter and is supposed to make the car more revvy?

less than 3kg, it revs faster but in a more "uneven" way, apparently its very unconfortable for street cars.

Actually some people add weight to bike flywheels to give them a smoother acceleration and to be less jerky.

172 phII
4.45kg, good weight that. 1kg off the standard roughly.

Ktec is alluminium isnt it?

Weight can even go down a bit but then there is a issue with safety and reliability as my car is a daily driver and I would not like to have any engine bits goring through my cabin :D

I dont know what material Ktec uses but it can not be OEM one as it is impossible to reduce weight to 3 kg using standard material.

This is the final product. It is crucial to point out that lightened flywheel MUST be balanced prior to installment. This process is relatively cheap but it is important to give this work to somebody who is reliable and who will get the job done in the best possible way.

2u7ljz7.jpg

2qn9vzp.jpg

RS Clio Trophy
4.45kg, good weight that. 1kg off the standard roughly.

Ktec is alluminium isnt it?
You can get aluminium ones but i would be very wary as they can be too light and you'll lose all bottom end power, stick with the steel ones that are lightened and balanced

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
You wont loose any power by taking weight from the rotating assembly... its not possible

what it affects is rate of change of the engine, i.e. as it has less rotating mass it will effectivly accelerate faster as there is less inertia to overcome. Thus making the engine feel more responsive. Any feeling of more or less power is incorrect.

the reason people like VW etc have always used duel mass flywheels and heavy ones is to smooth out the rate of change thus making the car feel smoother to drive as the engine has to overcome much larger rotating mass to get to a set rpm.

its totally incorrect when you hear the engine wont pull up a hill because of a lightened flywheel, you simply have to keep your foot in as the inertia of the flywheel is less and cant be used to keep the engine spinning (even then after a very small amount of time the engine still needs X power to take you and the car up the hill etc)

in simple terms if you want a more responsive engine and dont mind it being a little less smooth then a lightened flywheel is a good idea.

its also correct to say they need to be well balanced, this is a given

Andy

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
That makes more sense, it made no sense to me that adding weight would decrease torque, it just doesnt make sense in physics.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
You wont loose any power by taking weight from the rotating assembly... its not possible

what it affects is rate of change of the engine, i.e. as it has less rotating mass it will effectivly accelerate faster as there is less inertia to overcome. Thus making the engine feel more responsive. Any feeling of more or less power is incorrect.

the reason people like VW etc have always used duel mass flywheels and heavy ones is to smooth out the rate of change thus making the car feel smoother to drive as the engine has to overcome much larger rotating mass to get to a set rpm.

its totally incorrect when you hear the engine wont pull up a hill because of a lightened flywheel, you simply have to keep your foot in as the inertia of the flywheel is less and cant be used to keep the engine spinning (even then after a very small amount of time the engine still needs X power to take you and the car up the hill etc)

in simple terms if you want a more responsive engine and dont mind it being a little less smooth then a lightened flywheel is a good idea.

its also correct to say they need to be well balanced, this is a given

Andy

What they like on the K4M?

RS RIP
best thing is that rpm drops dead down after letting go of the throttle , very responsive .
i remember a Vauxh%^$&^ i took for a testdrive and when releasing/coming off the throttle it would rage on forever before rpm died down.. terrible drive.

it's there for comfort. would'nt do it to a streetcar unless it was the Vauxh$%^

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
best thing is that rpm drops dead down after letting go of the throttle , very responsive .
i remember a Vauxh%^$&^ i took for a testdrive and when releasing/coming off the throttle it would rage on forever before rpm died down.. terrible drive.

it's there for comfort. would'nt do it to a streetcar unless it was the Vauxh$%^

Agreed

rubbish for heal toe-ing!