ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macro and Wide angle questions

German V6
Looking to buy a new len or two my current lens is only a kit lens (18-55mm) , looking for something the can be used better for macro shots and wide angles. I'm a bit of an amateur at the moment not really looking to spend a load but preferable a macro lens and looking at a wide angle lens attachment( not sure if this is real got told about it a while ago), any tips on what i should be looking for or maybe recommend me some Len's, ohh and the body i'm looking to buy for is a canon 1100D.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
See here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?636890-Lens-Attachments regards to the attachments.

Depends on how much you want to spend TBH. I've got this http://witur.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=206&language=en&currency=GBP and I really like it but it is no means the best macro lens out there.

As for wide angles, I have a Tamron 19-35, about 10 years old but it still does the job. Not that sharp though and you can get a lot better now days. A lot of people have the Canon 10-20 and that's probably the next lens that I will get. Pretty pricey though.

I'm looking at a UWA lens atm as well. Weighing up a few price Vs performance and it's a tricky decision...

Have a look at the Sigma 10-24 and 10-20
Canon do a 10-20 as said and also a 10-22 which is rather pricey.

From what I gather the Sigma/Canon are probably the most popular.

Tamron also have stuff in the 10-24 range - Notably the one that caught my eye is the 11-18
And Tokina offer a 12-24 F4 which surprisingly has some decent reviews kicking about

Now I've written that I realise how little help I've been and how many reviews I must have read and yet am no closer to a decision!

Sorry, no help lol!! Certainly nothing Macro related!

Don't know anything about the Canon 10-20 (is it a new lens perhaps? I've been out of the game for a while!) but the 10-22 is superb optically if not a bit cheap feeling. I wouldn't overlook the 3rd party lenses though. Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all do quality UWA zooms. You can get some cracking used bargains on ebay on them too as they tend not to hold their value as well as Canon lenses.

^ That was my bad! Got very confused writing that post. Also the sigma is the 10-20 and the Tamron is the 10-24 I believe.

I've been spending too much time on comparison sites :S Brain frazzled!

I recently bought a Tamron 10-24

I know its not renowned for its extreme corner sharpness but because I'm OCD it matches my other two Tamrons the 17-50 2.8 and 7-300 USD :eek:

I won't recommend it unequivocally because it does have its limitations i.e needs to be used at F8 but for my landscape usage you won't even see a subject in the corners ;)

I also have the Sony 30mm macro which is 1:1 but at an inch or so from the front of the lens so again this has its limitations. But by god the lens is razer sharp!!!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Depends how wide you want your shots, I've got a Samyang 8mm and its get your feet in the shot wide.

6972569986_f764066d5b_z.jpg

Cadiz Side Street by bensambrook, on Flickr

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
Sorry to hijack thread but I'm looking a wide angle lense suitable for taking internal room shots. I have a Nikon d40. All recommendations appreciated.