ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macro - first foray

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
had a bash at some macro today for the first time

home brew kit on the nifty 50 (no IS) and a canon ef-25 II tube but using manual focus mode on the 50

just out for a walk like so nothing else on me, all shot hand held hence focus is a bit slap dash but for a first getting a feel for it am happy enough to say time to have a proper go! :)

thats on 550D btw :)

i want more though and heard good things about the raynox dcr-250 attachments, any thoughts from anyone??

anyway few pics:

IMG_2173_zps6c85e23b.jpg

IMG_2180_zpsef4fb772.jpg

IMG_2184_zpsa29820ea.jpg

IMG_2176_zpsc69fc6b5.jpg

IMG_2187_zpse968bf99.jpg

IMG_2185_zpsaaf4f9b9.jpg

IMG_2186_zps6c3c8836.jpg

IMG_2194_zps15bc7330.jpg

IMG_2191_zps86f21443.jpg

IMG_2190_zpsbc324b04.jpg

IMG_2189_zps959b558d.jpg

IMG_2199_zpse28e3d7a.jpg

They're good pictures mate, but I'm sorry to say that I think the majority, if not all of them, look a bit soft or ever so slightly OOF...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Agree'd unfortunately, very soft indeed. Try just taking photos of the same thing over and over until you get a real sharp one, should help you figure out where the issue is.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
All very soft. Could be due to the fact that they are all hand held. Invest in a tripod if you can.
I take it AF doesn't work when using an extension tube? If it does, then try using it.
Also, what settings were used?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as said chaps, it was just playing, i was out for a walk with the missus as such tripod was at home and they were all hand held, no steady anchor and it was windy so the subjects werent exactly still either, difficult conditions

yes the tube works on auto focus but movement in my hand back and forth of less than a mm throws it straight off same as manual.

it was more just a technical exercise to see how decent the cheapy macro setup was before deciding to go for proper compositions/shots with the proper gear :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
If it was just a technical exercise then I'd be inclined to try again, somewhere where you have a bit more control, so maybe in your garden. At least then you could try with a tripod. Or maybe indoors where there will be nothing moving the subject, and then you will have more control of the focus.
I've had some great results with the Sigma 105 in the garden hand held though but it was a very still day.
Post your next lot in here though, I'm interested in the extension tubes myself.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I also think that Photobucket hosting has killed the quality.

How many times do I need to tell you to get a Flickr account? ;)

Ph1 172 (titanium)
Ahhh I was wondering when I was going to see some photos from you!
How are you getting on with the camera :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Loving it Scotty mate, nice step up from old 350d :)

Dammit Luke okay, I'll get Flickr ;)

Ph1 172 (titanium)
Loving it Scotty mate, nice step up from old 350d :)

Dammit Luke okay, I'll get Flickr ;)

That's good to hear!
I will get another camera one day,, but will want to upgrade from the 550d, could be expensive!
Hope you continue to get some good use out of it!
Have you got any more lenses for it?
I always wanted a 10-22 for it

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i have a nift 50 as said and an EF 75-300 USM as well, thats it at the mo

ideally want a 150-500 sigma and a 60mm EF-S macro USM as well and perhaps a 15-85 USM to upgrade the kit lens, but some cash there tbh

the 10-22 is a nice want as well but again another half a grand nearly!lol! need to improve my ability first i think before buying any of them!