ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Magnetic sump plug. This the right one?

Servicing the car and thought it may be a good idea to fit one.
After a few searches some people think standard plug is magnetic, others say it isn't. Seems gearbox plug definitely is...
Can someone shed some light on this for me before I possibly waste 15 quid [emoji4]

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-83976-g...ain-sump-plug-for-renault-vehicles-ap-10.aspx
Gold Plug Magnetic Sump Plug AP-10 fits all Renault vehicles with the following thread diameter and pitch:

Thread Diameter: 16mm
Thread Pitch: 1.5

If the standard sumps not magnetic, is the above thread correct fitment?
Any help appreciated.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Im not 1
Servicing the car and thought it may be a good idea to fit one.
After a few searches some people think standard plug is magnetic, others say it isn't. Seems gearbox plug definitely is...
Can someone shed some light on this for me before I possibly waste 15 quid [emoji4]

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-83976-g...ain-sump-plug-for-renault-vehicles-ap-10.aspx
Gold Plug Magnetic Sump Plug AP-10 fits all Renault vehicles with the following thread diameter and pitch:

Thread Diameter: 16mm
Thread Pitch: 1.5

If the standard sumps not magnetic, is the above thread correct fitment?
Any help appreciated.
Im not 100% sure that is the right one. I got mine from this thread and it is the right one:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/gold-plug-magnetic-sump-plugs-now-available.763970/

Make sure you get yourself a 25mm socket as you probably dont have one - none of the halfords kits has this socket size. Get a cheapy off ebay or amazon as you wont ever be putting much force into it.

Im not 1

Im not 100% sure that is the right one. I got mine from this thread and it is the right one:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/gold-plug-magnetic-sump-plugs-now-available.763970/

Make sure you get yourself a 25mm socket as you probably dont have one - none of the halfords kits has this socket size. Get a cheapy off ebay or amazon as you wont ever be putting much force into it.
Cheers bud.
Bit confusing though, as the one in that thread says it's for Subaru cars?
Its same thread length as Renault one, just 0.1 less pitch.

My dad has every socket going so no worry there [emoji4]
Any idea if the standard ones magnetic or not?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
standard one is not magnetic. Yeah that is confusing. Guess you could research and see that the pitch etc is on the standard one.
By the way , get yourself one of these from opie at the same time:

Cup Oil Filter Wrench 76mm / 12 Flutes -single
SKU: 000980581£5.83

Will make oil filter removal a breeze, I know there are other filter removers but none as good as this one.

Anyone know the pitch and thread length of a standard Renault sump plug?
Tried to look online but struggling. Found the spec of an aftermarket plug, says it fits all the Clio engines sumps, so unsure if it is correct or not.
Called Renault part department but they don't have specifics like that on hand. Fair enough.

standard one is not magnetic. Yeah that is confusing. Guess you could research and see that the pitch etc is on the standard one.

Will make oil filter removal a breeze, I know there are other filter removers but none as good as this one.

Cheers bud. Still trying to ascertain the specifics of the sump. [emoji106]

My dad gas a few different filter removal tools. This one still worth getting?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Cheers for that fella, I had a right old swearing match the other weekend when I came to change the filter on my 182.

The AP-10 is the right one mate for Subaru/Renault.
Thanks bud. [emoji106]
I'll order it all now.

If it doesn't fit, I have a new washer for the standard one. I'll just use standard plug.
Cheers for that fella, I had a right old swearing match the other weekend when I came to change the filter on my 182.
Maybe I'll order one too, incase my dad's ones ain't quite right for the job. [emoji106]

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
All the big halfords sets come with them?
Ahhhh.... Glad you mentioned that as I have never noticed imperial sockets in their set. I have the largest set and the biggest metric socket in that is 22 I think. I ended up buying the 25 just for the sump plug.

Love having the right tool for everything. Will update this thread on a few weeks when I do my first oil change following the magnetic sump plug.

I was thinking that you could also buy neodymium (bet I spelt that wrong) and stick that to the standard sump plug which would work just as well.

Track 172 Cup
I have the same sump plug and when i put it in the other week after doing an oil change I grabbed a socket out my big halford's set and didn't fit so worked my way up the 19/22/24 mm ones until I though stuff it and I grabbed the 1" (biggest one in there if i remember) one and it worked lol was surprised how big it was to be honest. Probably because it's made in America, everything's gotta be bigger lol.

Track 172 Cup
Think the one with the magnetic one you just re use yeah, standard one can buy the dowty washers for them a couple of pence each.