ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Magnex 6x4 Oval

Clio 1.6 16V

I would like to order a Magnex 6x4 oval cat back system for my 2002 172. However, my local Magnex dealer says the system listed (172 "00-" ) will not fit this model due to the shape of the rear valance. I noticed that Magnex have recently changed their website product listing for the 172 from "00-" to "Jan 00 - April 01". I also emailed Magnex but have received no response. I know for sure that people have fitted these to the later models. Im now completely confused ... whats the crack here guys? Can all those with Magnex twin/oval systems fitted to 2002 172s please let me know if this system fits standard or requires modifications? If you have pictures of this model fitted with the 6x4 oval, I can show them to my local dealer (email@clio-sport-172.co.uk)

Clio 1.6 16V

Have I just created another dead boring topic? .... or is there really nobody out there that has a Magnex 6x4 oval fitted to their 2002 172?:confused:

Hey man....

ide Love an oval one.... dammit... but.... people keep saying there will be power losses here.. and power gains there... but in the end there is some compromise to performance somewhere.....

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I have the power chart for the Mk1 172 somewhere, and theres a small gain, no more than 2bhp, but on some places in the power range youll lose 1bhp, so overall it will make no difference to power, but just give you a great look and sound.

S2000

I know someone has a twin round on a new model and I swear ive seen a pic of the 6x4 oval on a new shape 172 as well somewhere.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Telford_mike is your man. He has a twin exit on his MK2. I believe Demon Tweeks fitted it no problem if my memory is correct.

You should have no problem as all the pipework would be the same and the final exit would be the only difference. This is the case with the K-Tec.

Clio 1.6 16V

Cheers guys, thanks for the info. Ill have a look on the gallery and see if I can spot the oval.

Jas if you can find that power chart it would be interesting to see. I didnt really expect large power gains across the rev range. But as you say it gives you the looks and sounds .... which sould IMHO have been fitted by RenoSport as standard!

Telford_Mike if you stumble upon this topic, perhaps you can confirm Chriss comments. How do you find your system on longer motorway journeys?

I was originally going to go for the K-Tec but was scared off a bit by all the comments regards the sheer noise that the system makes. I want a system with a good sporty note when opened up but not something that will drone and be tiring on a long journey.

Does anybody know how the Magnex compares to the K-Tec regards noise? Or are they both quite loud?

Chris did you manage to get that central silencer fitted to you K-Tec twin?

ICE'dberg MK2 172

K-tec have developed a centre section and a new twin exit box. The whole system is configurable to the sound you want from very quiet......to very loud! Give David a ring and he will explain more. He will not be happy until you are with the sound of his exhaust and will do all he can for you to achieve the result you want. I am going back in Jan to have mine replaced because of the loudness and he is replacing it at no extra cost.....now how many places will do that???

K-Tec rule!!!

Clio 1.6 16V

Hi Slugger, had a a look at Trevs magnex oval picture on the gallery ....looks nice and a good fit. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Chris, thanks for your advice once again. Just had a another look at the K-Tec pictures that you kindly dug out for me a couple of weeks ago. Hhmmm ... that K-Tec oval is dead gorgeous too. No offence Trev, but I think it looks better than the Magnex, without the internal ring showing. Oh dear .... decisions, decisions .....

Chris your last sentence has swayed me to K-Tec again. As you say, not many companies would replace parts of your exhaust at no extra cost to get the noise right! I think I definately need to have a chat with David and try to work out which loudness/configuration will best suit my needs.

Just put the Magnex and K-Tec oval pictures up on my PC screen and asked the wife which one she likes best? ........... her finger went straight for the K-Tec. The mighty decision has now been made!!

Promise not to bring up this subject again guys...... K-Tec rules !!;)

Does anyone know who does an cat back system exhaust that remains hidden like the standard Renault one? Its just that IMO exhausts that "hang" off the rear bumper of the Clio doesnt look right as there is no indentation in the rear bumper for the exhaust to sit in. I dont want to have to cut an indentation into the bumper as if I had a slight accident it would make replacing the rear bumper more awkward.

S2000

I used to have a magnex oval on my mk1 172 and now have the twin round k-tec on my cup and the k-tec is alot louder. I too am going back to have the centre silencer fitted at no cost.

Yep K-tec rule :D

Clio 1.6 16V

Hi Slugger, Thanks for the info. I suspected that the K-Tec was a bit louder than the Magnex, going by past forum posts. As I declared on the above post I have now EVENTUALLY decided to go for the K-Tec Oval (Chris convinced me!) and probably with the central silencer. The oval is supposed to be a bit quieter than the twin also. I will be speeking to David @ K-Tec re order in the new year.

Hi JonC, I believe Powerflow do a "concealed" exhaust system. Sure I read this somewhere in the forum. Try a search?

Whilst on the KTR thread, has anybody seen or experienced the KTR SS front & back strut braces for the 172? Or, are they still under development?