ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maiden in distress

Raider, 197.
Hi all, back with yet another Clio. red valver that is gorgeous & had loads of work done but has a few issues I need to sort.
Main one is a very heavy clutch pedal (had so many Clio Williams I know this is very common) but this one is mighty heavy & also sometimes wont go into reverse either. Bites very quick & my husband stalls it most times it has such an aggressive bite. Previous owner states it got heavy after new cable was fitted?
Does this sound like new clutch please guys & what is the real labour time to get done?

Thanks in advance

Jaine :eek:

Clio MK3
I think the cable might just need adjusting, if the clutch is not slipping and it just feels heavy then I would be inclined to think a new clutch is not necessary. You can test if your clutch is fine by putting it into 5th gear and slowly releasing the clutch, it should stall fairly quickly which means the clutch itself is fine.

clio dci , ren8
Clutch is self adjusting , if its a non genuine cable fitted then change it as they can give a stiff clutch

Clio
My 1.4 is the same I thought it might have the wrong plates in but to be honest done nothing and its lasted 80k now and not missed a beet . When it goes ill check the cable but I'd say if not broke don't fix lol

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
The only way to cure it is with a new clutch cables even gen will only improve it slightly for a while.

Clutch has a self adjusting mechanism on the top of the pedal and due to the age of these now i would recommend changing the pedal/mechanism (i did)

Genuine Renault cable is needed and will only help for a short time, even putting a new clutch in will only make it better for a short while.

How i got round it was to fit a clio mk2 clutch fork ,release bearing and bellhousing bracket (the one which the outer cable sits in before the fork).

Also there is a little green pedal stop on the mk1 that when you release the pedal it sits against it, if you go down the mk2 conversion route above you will need to shave 2mm off the block so that the adjuster mechanism takes up the extra cable due to the longer travel.

Or just put up with it you soon get used to it.

Here is a picture of whats needed and how it sits once fitted.

SUC30801.jpg

Pivot cap /bush fitted the white part to the right of the input shaft which helps the pivot of the clutch fork due to being slightly bigger than the mk1 version.

SUC30806.jpg

Fork,bracket and release bearing in place

SUC30815.jpg

Last edited: