ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major Gear Box problem!! AHHHH

Last night my gearbox fecked up. I was racing my mates VR6, a golf GTI and a Seat 2l 16v down to Southend and when i got down there i heard a thud and no my car hardly drives.

1st gear it drives ok until around 15mph then wants to jump out. It is also continually shacking.

2nd gear just jumps out every few seconds or so.

3rd gear is ok but just shakes a bit. Didnt get into 4 th or 5th.

Spent the rest of the night in Tescos at Southend waiting for the AA before i even made it down to the sea front. The AA said that he dont think it is a serious as it sounds as he reckons it is a problem with a pin or somthing and the selectors. I reckon it is seriouse as the gears are all over the place!!

Anyone else had this problem?

Does it sound like a new box?

I really wanna cry as i dont have the pennys to pay for this at the moment.

Any help would be brilliant. So come on Ben R, advice please.

Kev

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

My mates g/box wouldnt go in 1st or 2nd due to a bolt falling out of the gear linkage mechanism or something along those lines, but if it comin out of gear once in it, sounds more complicated than that to me.

might be interested. I am getting it checked start of next week and so will know if the box needs replacing then. Where bouts r u in the country

Sounds possibly as if the diff has gone and taken the box casing with it?? Happened to me; same symptoms.

About £500 expensive! That was at a very cheap place as well (£20 labour per hour and cost price parts!!).

oh great.

I got a mate who is a machanic who can do it for me and he charges £10 an hr but he cant even look at it for 3 weeks. Looks like i might have to get it down to BBTuning then. Want it sorted for the show on 25th.

kev give Torsion Tuning a call mate, Jon might have some advice for you give him a bell on 07949200705 just tell him that Marcus gave you his number.

Marcus

Mikey16vClio = It is a phase 1 with 88k on it! It started making a slight knocking for bout 20miles before going.

16v Clio = Phoned Torsion Tuning and if my mate thinks it is a new box it will be off to them to fix.

DTWD = Out of the 3 cars i raced i pissed on the Seat 2l GTI and the Gold GTI and stuck right behind the VR6 untill mine topped out and his kept going. My mate in the VR6 was well pissed off (It was worth doing my box just for that look on his face). My other mate in the Golf GTI was also well pissed off as he has beaten me several times but since my de-cat mine seems to be a lot better. Wicked!

Right i got some news from my mate who is looking at the valver at the moment. He says on of the bolts on the engine mount that holds the box on has come out and so there is a lot of movement. This could be good as it might be a case of putting a bolt in and it being fine or it might have damaged the gearbox casing or more damage. This is so annoying as this has happened before bout a yr and a bit ago and i needed a new box casing. Dont know if i should get onto the garage who done it then??

Got is sorted. It was just an engine mount bolt or somthing that holds the box on. The bolt had come out. My mate put another bolt in and it is fine. The selecters are bent but it drives and i am getting the selecters done soon.

Well chuffed as i was convinced this was a major problem and probably going to mean a new box.