ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup
Evening everyone,
New to the world of Clio's after being bullied in to buying one buy a friend.

Wish he'd have bullied me sooner.

Currently looking to sort myself out a few spares and with so much talk of gearboxes, I think it might be best I get one on the shelf for back up at a later date.

Is there any checks that can be done to a removed gearbox that means it is best avoided.

Never had a gear box off before so talk us through it in laymans terms please.

TIA

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome.

I’ve had 3 x 182s over a six year period. One a track car. Never had a broken gearbox.

On saying that, I’ve never made it a habit of trying launch control in Tesco’s car park.

I guess if a gearbox is out of a car and you don’t know its history, stripping it down is the best way to tell. Apparently they crunch into 2nd if they’re showing signs of wear.

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
as Above, 3 172's and no gearbox issues.

I remember mates blowing boxes back in the day, but again as above, it was down to their silly driving.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Not a lot you can check without stripping the box down.

Wise getting one in stock if your planning on using it hard.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Keep an eye on the oil level, they all leak. Run it low on oil and you will have gearbox issues.

I used to top the oil up every service, but it didn't do lots of miles so was never a big issue.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Crunch into 3rd is the most common on a 182 box. If you don't rush changes, drop the clutch everywhere and keep on top of oil changes and level they are fairly reliable.

But bullet proof they are not, the shear number that @NorthloopCup has rebuilt over the years says that they are not a bullet proof box!

In bits next they don't look very rugged.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Crunch into 3rd is the most common on a 182 box. If you don't rush changes, drop the clutch everywhere and keep on top of oil changes and level they are fairly reliable.

But bullet proof they are not, the shear number that @NorthloopCup has rebuilt over the years says that they are not a bullet proof box!

In bits next they don't look very rugged.
I’m well into triple figures on the amount I’ve done.