ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major Insurance Dilemma....opnions...

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Right, my insurance is due for renewal on 8th june at which point i will have been driving 1 yr 11months, i have had a quote from admiral with both parents for £1069.
if i wait a month until ive been driving 2 years i will have to pay £762 (inc mods on both quotes.)

now thats a saving of around £270!!!

now it will be difficult ish without a car for a month as i may need it for work although i currently get picked up by one of the works vans and i have to go to college on a friday but the mrs can take me to that.

opinions...should i not use the car for a month? or does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks, russ

You won't have two years no claims if you just don't drive it for a month though, as it has to be that you've been insured for two years?

How have you got a renewal at 1y11m of driving anyway?!? :S

Audi TT 3.2 V6
i dont have any no claims atm.

i drove my mums car for around 11months whilst in full time education, and now im insured n on my step dads name (but my car)....which i know aint legit..so thats why im biting the bullet and going for my own policy with parents as 2nd/3rd drivers to reduce the price.

hope that makes sense lol

Mk1 Clio, 1.4RT
just on the off chance, if either of your folks are with direct line you get NCB for all the time you been with them so that will knock the premium down loads, nearly halved mine... if not play around with the 14 day piece of mind guarantee from a couple of insurers for a month, you'll still be covered and as long as you don't have an accident you can chop and change until the month is up.

Da

Less
are the options...
1 year
2 years
and so on...? Cos if that's the case i'd be inclined to click 2 years anyway mate.

Clio mk1 ph3
put the car on SORN for a month, then re-tax it to make it all driveable again. remember you can claim back your tax with a V14 form. you can SORN the car on the DVLA website. Its very easy to do, takes 5 mins.

then in a month you will have had your license 2 years, and can go insure it cheaper.

im doing the same currently for the next month, so i have 3 years driving experience, brings it down almost £100 ;)

Golf GTI 1.8T
have you tried other companies?

Ive always found that the admiral group insurance companies arent the cheapest.

try virgin and NU

Audi TT 3.2 V6
M1TCH said:
have you tried other companies?

Ive always found that the admiral group insurance companies arent the cheapest.

try virgin and NU

i did try NU when i was trying for quotes for 1yr 11months and they were no where near the cheapest, but will do another quote later for 2yrs and see what comes up (along with virgin). how much do virgin and nu norm charge for mods?

cheers, russ

Golf GTI 1.8T
I dunno I dont work for them.

It all dependant on other personal factors, I dont think my insurance was ment to be about £1200 but I think I could have got it nearer £900 if I didnt have any mods to claim.

that quote you got for £762 is a f**king good quote and if it were me I'd not have a car for a month to get that price, but I'd buy it asap because if you left it till nearer the time of renewal you might find their prices have changed again.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
yeah its a great quote.

ive also saved another £60. i cant afford to pay £762 straight up as thats more than i earn in a month...so monthly repayements were the only option...however i thought id have a look on money supermarket to lend £762 for 12months...the total i pay back is something like £810 were as using admirals monthly payement systen i end up paying back about £870 :D

Audi TT 3.2 V6
i tried virgin last nite mate and they were around £1400, will try NUD in a few mins, tried last night but their quoting system doesnt work in the middle of the nite lol.

it getting nicked isnt a problem really, as i live up a private road and it will be parked in a garage with no windows apart from a small frosted one in the door.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
yeah insurance is crazy how much it varies from 1 company to the next and 1 person to the next.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
well i opted for the month with no motor and i was finally able to order the insurance tonight and as luck has it...its dropped further

£792 down to £783.30. not much but cant complain anyway. just gotta wait till 10th july now :(