ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

major problem need help

silver 172 ff
hi everybody, got home earlier after a short journey from work (5 miles) and on putting my 172 in the garage i could hear a loud ticking/rattling noise. on investigation the noise does go after i rev the car up but once back to idle the noise returns. sounds near top right (cambelt end) of engine. i have read that the dephaser pully is a common fault. what i need to know is can i still drive the car? how much to fix? will i need everything else replaced, ie cambelt, tensioner, aux belt etc? thanks if anybody can help.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
sounds like a dephaser pulley you need cambelt kit dephaser pulley aux bet kit and tow end caps.
sould be alright to drive it about but i would get it done quick
proberly looking at around £500

silver 172 ff
cheers lemonnobby, ive got to get her mot'd by mid december and tax too. ive also got a knocking noise from what i would suspect arb bushes or maybe a mount somewhere when i pull away quickly. i think its going to be a hell of an expensive few weeks. fantastic car when it goes but ive already spent £££'s on it already with a new alternator, belt, tensioner etc. i replaced that by myself, bumper off and everything but i will think i will leave the dephaser and cam belt to the pro,s. where do you get seeds for money trees? lol

silver 172 ff
have had the car looked at by a mechanic and yes its the dephaser pulley. ive not got the funds to fix it so it is going up for sale.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
thats s**t mate, surely not going to be worth much with the faults better to get it done n sell for more?

silver 172 ff
it needs mot, tax, dephaser pulley sorting out and that knocking/banging noise underneath. i rekon it gunna be at least a grand if not more to get 100%. even without these faults etc it would only be worth 2000-2200 maybe. just havent got that sort of money right now, well not for a long time.. bummer.........

silver 172 ff
i just dont know right now to be honest. its sitting in my garage so its not in the way but then again its just now gathering dust. im in a catch 22, sell it for s**t money and buy a piece of s**t with the money or i fix it leaving me with no money for mot and tax and then regret that i should have sold it. WHAT DO I DO?:S

silver 172 ff
cheers for the reply jack, yeah im seriously thinking about it but its just i need an mot by the 19th december + tax too. looking over a grand to get it 100%, im working 7days a week at mo as now i got extra travel costs to contend with just to get to work. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr renaults. I been thinking of what to do all day and this evening, its to good to let rot away. i might take the plunge and get it done, at least one way of looking at it is probably wont need doing for another 30-40k miles. :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
cheers for the reply jack, yeah im seriously thinking about it but its just i need an mot by the 19th december + tax too. looking over a grand to get it 100%, im working 7days a week at mo as now i got extra travel costs to contend with just to get to work. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr renaults. I been thinking of what to do all day and this evening, its to good to let rot away. i might take the plunge and get it done, at least one way of looking at it is probably wont need doing for another 30-40k miles. :)

Benny - you really come across as being level headed and sensible with your situation. Leaving the cambelt etc to the 'pros' and also deciding what to actually do with your car rather than simply gettting rid.

Personally m8, try your best to keep it. It simply sounds like wear and tear has taken its toll rather than anything else. And what with all the £££ you've already spent, it would be a shame to sell up at this stage.

Money doesn't grow on trees - but hang on in there. I'm sure you'll love it all over again once its sorted. :approve:

D.

172ph2
SORN it, get a sub £300 Micra / AX while you save some cash, fix the clio, then sell the Micra/AX you're not going to lose much on a micra over a few months.

silver 172 ff
cheers dave but the fella i know in my mot test station had a 172 a couple of years ago, it went like mine but then his cambelt etc ended in dissaster, he said not to drive it. to be honest i really carnt afford any more damage doing to it.

S4 Avant
Seriously, there has never been a case of a dephaser pulley failing. There's nothing to fail, it just rattles.

silver 172 ff
so if i were to drive it then it would just make loads of noise? would it affect anything to do with the timing etc? what i mean is would i cause anymore damage by driving it? cheers

silver 172 ff
ClioSport Club Member
Join DateJul 2006LocationShropshirePosts14,341CarCup Packed Bean
Re: Dephaser pulley gone?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by gaz-kev
Dephaser will be not eveident when cold (well on mine) then when up to temp will rattle like fook. I dont actually think there are any problems short term, never heard of a dephaser failure as such. Just sound worse than they are.

My 172 dephaser failed bigstyle!​