ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MAJOR PROBLEM WITH STEERING WHEEL!!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I'VE TAKEN THE WHEEL OFF.... BUT WHEN I TOOK IT OFF.... A WHITE ROLL OF TAPE LIKE WIRE CAME OUT AND TANGLED ITSELF..... I HAVE TRIED ROLLING IT BACK NEATLY, BUT I DONT REMEMBER HOW IT GOES ON!

I TIRED PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER, BUT THE WHEEL WON'T GO BACK IN!! ANYONE WANT TO COME ROUND AND HELP? I'LL GIVE U £30 FOR COMING OVER AND HELPING! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

?
Ive found the problem mate

capslock.jpg

Suzuki Ignis Sport
sorry about the bad images, but hope u get the jist.

Attachments

• Photo-0099.jpg
    Photo-0099.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Photo-0100.jpg
    Photo-0100.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Photo-0101.jpg
    Photo-0101.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 131
  Suzuki Ignis Sport
Anyone going to help?... at least give me some words of advice!!

Its too dark to work on it now.. have to wake up tomorrow morning! When is it usually light?

Clio Sport 182
its normally starts getting light around 7ish. From a guess I would say that the white wire coils up inside the black ring?

why have you taken that much off?thats the airbag and horn contact,if you have unwound it you might end up having to buy a new one as if you turn the wheel on way too far it may snap but you wont know till you try it,youll know its broken as the airbag light will come on,but your airbag shouldnt go off

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Well i have fitted it fine... but when i turn full lock, i can hear wires in side tangling and untangling... i think its the coiled wire, not coiled properly.... i think its fine....

should be right? coz the air bag light didn't come on...

i didn't mean to take that much off.... someone told me to give the wheel a good tug to pull it out, and that big came out with it.

dont need a massive tug,just a lil wiggle up n down so it slides off the spleen,but anyway if its ok then you should be fine,unless you wana take it apart again to sort the coil,as it should all stay flat,works same way as seat belts

Suzuki Ignis Sport
break which bit? hopefully i won't break any.. just having problems putting the wheel back on thats all

Suzuki Ignis Sport
woke up this morning at 6.30am, to try fitting it again!

fitted the wheel, wheel works fine.... so major problem and most important problem is fixed

two minor problems now.... when i full lock i can hear a wire inside... must be the coil

and the other problem is, when u signal to turn left or right, after u've done the turn, it will automatically switch off... it doesn't read it now. so the click is gone :(

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Seriously?.... well its not a BIG problem for me... i'll just have to un-signal each time... not a problem right?

Breaking A 172 Replica
I know what to do its just hard to explain.

But yeah I will meet for £30 halfway and you can buy the mats then too.

Sam

Suzuki Ignis Sport
So if i meet u half way... mats for £30 and u help me with the steering wheel?

ph1 172
if the spiral bit isnt centred, you'll get to full lock one day and it'll break, either the airbag will go off (unlikely but still possible) or the airbag light will come on and the airbag wont work.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
its the spiral wire connects to the airbag. its supposed to coil and uncoil itself as you turn the steering wheel so the airbag is always connected as it were. it must be right or your airbag could fail to operate. you are also supposed to disconnect the battery for a while before playing with these things to disarm the system

ph1 172
coil it up as tight as you can . this will then be full lock in one direction (you'll have to work out which way because i cant remember what direction it coils) then full lock in the other direction will loosen in and you know you wont damage it going lock to lock.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
its the spiral wire connects to the airbag. its supposed to coil and uncoil itself as you turn the steering wheel so the airbag is always connected as it were. it must be right or your airbag could fail to operate. you are also supposed to disconnect the battery for a while before playing with these things to disarm the system
I did disconnect the battery for 30mins.

going to get Renault to check it soon.. is that good idea?? or would a local garage be able to do this?