ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

majorly annoying clutch problems

Renault Clio 1.8 16V
OK, heres the deal, I posted a few months ago saying that my clutch cable had snapped and i was having problems fitting a new one as it wasnt adjusting properly. After buying a new pedal and ratchet bit an all that it seemed to be going fine but was incredibly heavy...wasnt too bothered as long as it worked like...

now however, it is starting to give up on me under the pressure...the ratchet bit keeps colapsing randomly meaning the pedal goes straight to the floor under my foot, gives me the fright of my life and then has to be freed to ratchet itself back up in order to change gear...VERY ANNOYING.

Could it be the clutch on its way out that is making it so heavy?...when i say heavy i mean my left leg is probably now three times as strong as my right! What else could it be?...it seems to happen more if i am going up-hill or am in the lower gears and when accelerating quickly then changing.

Please help as I dont want to spend all that money if i dont have to.

Manda x

Valver
Cable heaviness is probably due to the cable being a non-genuine item, if you don't buy a genuine renualt cable almost always its going to be stupidly heavy!

As for it frequently snapping, im not an expert on clutches but when the cable kept snapping on my 1.4 RT I was told it could be the pressue plate (?) or something in the clutch which was causing it to snap, and sure enough few months later it started slipping!

1.8 16v clio mk1
:evil: same thing happend to me 3 weeks ago,pedal starts to flop to the floor then i go to renualt get a brand new clutch cable,fit it to my valver but cant get it into gear so by now im ssein red!i take the new cable off compare it to my old cable and i find that its about 1/2-1/4 inch longer than the old cable,so i re-greased the old cable refitted properly no bends or kinks and has been fine since just wasted £17 thats all

Renault Clio 1.8 16V
Yeah it is a genuine cable an it goes into gear fine like...its just so heavy that the pressure makes the ratchet bit give way now and then and has to re-adjust itself. hmmm.. new clutch only £50 + vat so not to bad.. an got ma bf mechanic to fit it so i think ill just try it...it'l need done eventually anyway eh. lol

Manda x