ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Martin's 172 Exclusive

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The last thing i needed was another project, but I sold my Saxo VTR and my Twingo GT so had a bit of free garage space! picked up this 172 exclusive from eBay.

Good bits:
*Standard (apart from the rear lights)
*Belts done this year
*70k miles
*underside is like new, my 182Van is clean but this is better!
*Drives as it should (everyone loves a ph1!)
*done 15k since 2006, been off the road since 2013

Bad bits:
*It needs a full respray (I've always wanted to have a fresh respray on a car so here goes!)
*It needs an airbox
IMG_20210826_185000_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210826_185006_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210826_185033_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210826_185443_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210826_185448_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210826_185501_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210826_185043_hdr.jpg

I'm sure I've seen it pop up on here before maybe last time it was up for sale, I'm sure someone on here will know it or have owned it as is usually the case with ClioSport!

Last edited:

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I saw this listed for sale in a few places and was tempted myself. But I got too much on. I know exclusives are an acquired taste, but I love the look of them especially the wheels.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I saw this listed for sale in a few places and was tempted myself. But I got too much on. I know exclusives are an acquired taste, but I love the look of them especially the wheels.
Got to say I've never been a fan of them either but as time has gone on I've acquired the taste! always liked them on OZ F1s but the wheels suit it I think.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Was this on ebay. I spotted an exclusive from 'his personal collection', looked move. Had a yellow old skool ibiza too.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Was this on ebay. I spotted an exclusive from 'his personal collection', looked move. Had a yellow old skool ibiza too.
funny enough there was 2 from personal collections, this was one of them but not the one your thinking of, its still for sale.

Excellent choice sir!
Massive fan of Exclusives, I’d love one!

Apart from some B14’s and a Skoda splitter, it would be completely standard for me.
Agreed, its booked in for a full respray in November (soonest my painter could manage!) so plenty time to sort a few bits and bobs first and should be ready for spring, cant wait

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Latest update on it! The car came with an invoice from when the previous owner "recommissioned" it as it had been off the road for about 10 years, this included a Battery, full service, fuel drained and replaced, timing belt change, MOT, etc etc - Not much change from a grand but the Aux belt hadn't been changed and was noisy!

The invoice had a reasonable amount charged for the belt kit and water pump so I decided my best course of action was to order an aux belt kit and cam end caps, strip it all down and check the timing (assuming it would most likely be out!), and then take it from there. Upon inspection the timing was absolutely spot on, couldn't have got it better myself, the horseshoe just slid in! and all tensioners, idlers and water pump were in fact new, so I checked torques, rebuilt it and fitted the new cam end caps and the new genuine aux belt kit, much quieter now! - Forgot how s**t 172 aux tensioners were! - but I've got a tool for it now!

The AC condenser was shot so replaced it looks like its had a nudge at some point, as it doesn't take much to damage them!, and decided while I was in there to just refresh the rest of the cooling system since it has a new water pump. - The coolant was changed at "recommission" with red stuff (eugh!!!)
IMG_20220526_172007.jpg

PXL_20220531_185343746.jpg

PXL_20220531_193101457.jpg
IMG_20220526_135853.jpg

IMG_20220526_140116.jpg

IMG_20220526_172528.jpg

PXL_20220601_123217567.jpg

A blast of snow foam to remove the dust and she's looking great again - Need to get it in this coming week for a Regas and MOT and then get some miles on it.
PXL_20220606_155317876.jpg

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
A blast of snow foam to remove the dust and she's looking great again - Need to get it in this coming week for a Regas and MOT and then get some miles on it.
View attachment 1596861

I know a lot of people dislike the Exclusive's but I think they look fantastic! I'm seriously considering getting one to go alongside my PB Phase 1 once I've sold my Megane. Is the leather interior a bit weird or is it a nice place to be?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I know a lot of people dislike the Exclusive's but I think they look fantastic! I'm seriously considering getting one to go alongside my PB Phase 1 once I've sold my Megane. Is the leather interior a bit weird or is it a nice place to be?
To be honest it's actually quite nice! Feels much the same as a normal 172 in terms of driving comfort, it's probably a bit less supportive given your more likely to slide about when driven in anger but I've not really driven this hard as I've got my 182 van for that!

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest it's actually quite nice! Feels much the same as a normal 172 in terms of driving comfort, it's probably a bit less supportive given your more likely to slide about when driven in anger but I've not really driven this hard as I've got my 182 van for that!
That's good to know, I do fancy one but the interior was the only thing putting me off. If only they'd chosen any other colour than cream!

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
It's Grey not cream 😁..tbf ive Competed in mine for a few yrs and thry are very supportive and the sliding isnt a problem , as the bolsters hold you firmly inmposition ..great cars
That's good to know, I do fancy one but the interior was the only thing putting me off. If only they'd chosen any other colour than cream!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its grey when cleaned and looks better in the flesh than it photos, i quite like it! my interior needs a good scrub and a few bits here and there changed, but ill get to that haha