ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mass Effect 2

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I'm guessing you just dont like the game type. Have you played and liked oblivion and fallout 3 for example.

You really need to enjoy the whole story aspect otherwise you can see how it would be boring

57 Clio Campus Sport
Yer I did most of oblivion but fm3 Was the same. I guess they're like Role Playing 3rd Person Shooters so maybe I just don't like that genre.

MGS4 was ok because the cutscenes although A bit long had action in them, whereas ME2 is just blah

1.8 Civic EX
Fallout3 was awesome! Oblivion was very good but took too long to get anything worthwhile and I never finished it.

This (the first one) is very good, I like th interaction with all the characters, the game play the RPG style but for some reason it's just not grabbing me and leaving me wanting to play more...just a bit...well....meh I guess...

172 Cup
Anyone fancy giving a brief summary of the 1st game?

Bought this the other day and its brilliant!!!!

AK

M240i
Just bought the first one for £8, will play that first and see what I think of it.

Too many games to play atm lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant. Just brilliant. Aside from the right-mouse button finally giving up after 4 years of usage (lol) - this has been one of my best gaming experiences in recent times.

It's almost like anything and everything that was merely 'ok' with the previous game, has been revamped and made so much better. Combat is intense, but tactical - giving you time to plan and coordinate how best to handle the situation. The dialogue (which on many games I tend to flick-read through) - actually plays out really well - adding detail and depth to the on-going story.

In essence, Bioware have surpassed themselves with this one. Dragon Age was good - but Mass Effect 2 is superb. :approve:

MassEffect22010-01-3022-44-04-48.jpg

MassEffect22010-01-3022-40-23-79.jpg

MassEffect22010-01-3022-34-35-90.jpg

MassEffect22010-01-3022-16-35-49.jpg

MassEffect22010-01-3021-55-46-08.jpg

MassEffect22010-01-3021-50-17-93.jpg

D.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
So would you compare this to dragon-age in space or what? i wasn't that great a fan of dragon-age tbh, all the planning before a fight b****cks and chopping and changing characters all the time i can't be doing with games like that, im a one man army.

got it yesterday, sunk 8 hours into it and absolutely love it! the first one was one of my fave games, and this is better in every way!

one thing thats bugging me though, in the first there was alot of different types or armour, from different companies. in this, there doesnt seem to be many different types of weapons and armour to pick up... they havnt done away with it have they?? as i cant find an equipment screen...

oh and that omega place, the one where you find 'archangel' is awesome! lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
6 hours in for me - snick, I got to agree with the Archangel bit. :)

Loving that 'black hole' warp cannon thing. Takes and age to power up and fire, but it's massively effective on all types of target....

Off it goes - across to the targets.....

MassEffect22010-01-3112-33-59-06.jpg

Almost there.......

MassEffect22010-01-3112-33-53-25.jpg

WHAM!

MassEffect22010-01-3112-33-56-02.jpg

See ya!

MassEffect22010-01-3112-33-56-89.jpg

D.

so... have they cut the armours out in this game? i keep getting upgrades but i miss having all that infentry and equiping all my players up with different makes or armour etc!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
LOL where you find that??

It was an unlock code that I got with the pre-ordered game through Play. Came inside the case as an unlock code. :)

Personally, I think the weapons and upgrades in this game are MUCH better than the previous one. The problem I had with the original game is that the upgrades just began to go all arbitrary. You'd get an upgrade that gave you +5 damage. Then another at +12. Then another at +20 - it just became meaningless - an ever increasing number.

I started ME2 as an engineer class, and in some ways I'm regretting it. I really am finding it difficult in heavy firefights - as I'm only equipped with the two pistols and that black hole cannon - for which the ammo is uber-rare to find.

Still, it's a learning curve - and probably more enjoyable than sticking with the usual soldier class, etc. :)

D.

Last edited:
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I started as a soldier; war hero. I made my character look like Stone Cold, too (bald head, goatie :cool:)

Really enjoying it. Put in about 6 hours so far. Recruited a few guys and gone about my way helping folk out and hacking stuff. I can see already that this is going to be a huge game. I really need to read the manual though, as I just jumped straight in having not played the first, and I'm still relatively new to the RB shoulder button giving ammo options and extra powers, so I need to research how to use that more effectively.

Great stuff, thus far.

Lotus Exige, 182
Really enjoying it too, put about 5 hours into it yesterday. I'd restarted the first one a couple of weeks ago in preparation for this but I couldn't plough my way through all the rubbish/boring planetary exploration in time to finish it before getting this. Won't go back to the first one either now, this one is terrific - the action feels a lot tighter, shooting is much improved and the new mini-games are far superior to the old ones. I'm still in omega, just finished the "archangel" mission with the one character I got all the way through ME1 with.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Arguably the same point as me, then, mate.

Have you got the doctor from Quarantine yet, too?

Lotus Exige, 182
Yeah, did that before the Archangel one last night, and then switched off. Not used either Archangel or the doc yet though on a mission, are they any good? I'm playing as an infiltrator for sniper rifle and inferno good-ness.

btw - if you've got a bit further on than me, no spoilers please! But you should defo try to get used to the shoulder buttons - pausing the game is a life saver in some of the firefights - and make lots of use of the powers.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Heavy pistols are proving to be life-savers. Crap on biotic/flesh enemies, but essential on armoured ones. Love how your standard SMG does little to the armoured guys and the you switch to the heavy 6-shot pistol and see their armour rating plummet. :)

I shouldn't have been too quick to dismiss the engineer class. Their overcharge ability is really useful in taking down shields (it finished off the gunship on its own) and that drone skill is proving good as a diversion too. The engineer also gets hacking bonuses too and it's making a nice change from the sniper/assault rifle stuff that I did in the first game.

D.

White Sti Hatch
Im the same route as you but i find the Machine Pistol annoying as i cant seem to find one to replace the one i started with :( i ended up picking Sniper as my "Special" class when your on a ship (i wont spoil ne thing for those wh oarnt around 16 hours in)

Heavy pistols are proving to be life-savers. Crap on biotic/flesh enemies, but essential on armoured ones. Love how your standard SMG does little to the armoured guys and the you switch to the heavy 6-shot pistol and see their armour rating plummet. :)

I shouldn't have been too quick to dismiss the engineer class. Their overcharge ability is really useful in taking down shields (it finished off the gunship on its own) and that drone skill is proving good as a diversion too. The engineer also gets hacking bonuses too and it's making a nice change from the sniper/assault rifle stuff that I did in the first game.

D.

I went with the soldier as I like being able to use all the weapons bar the pistols and subs.
My first playthrough on Normal (without missing any side quests and exploring everything!) was 30h and 20mins! :eek:

That was over 3 frikkin days! :rasp:

Mito Sportiva 135
Not tried it yet! Main reason was that I'm trying to download the 60MB+ and 460MB+ DLC packs for it before I start.

Unfortunately, it appears most of the civilisied world is trying to do the same. The downloads are timing out a lot. :(

D.

Do you know if you can still use these after starting? I started the game before the downloads finished...?!

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
FFS wish they had this for the PS3. I refuse to buy games for my gay 360. I'm still waiting for it to die.

dont get me wrong, im loving it, the story, the shooting/combat has improved dramatically but..

it seems too linear.. the missions are you start at one end of the map, battle through loads of people, find someone to talk too, battle through another load of people then mysteriously get extracted back to the ship or another part of the level. it all sems too scripted.
also, you are only given options to talk to some people, most are linked directly to the story line. in the first you could wonder round and chat to all sorts of aliens and odd people.
another criticism is the lack of RPG elements in it, ok you get to level up certain areas of combat, and you get to upgrade other parts but theres no selling parts you scavenge, no finding interesting weapons you can equip in the field or unequip, no finding unusual items that you dont know what they are for but are worth a fortune etc etc. in the old one, ok, the infantory screens were a ballache but it gave you alot of freedom in what type of gun to equip with what ammo, what type of armour to equip with what addons and, most of all, all these different companies with ritch backgrounds to choose from. for me that is what made the first so believable, here its like you only fond weapons and stuff when the game wants you too, again getting this feeleing like it is being scripted.

apart from this, the game is still awesome, the story is good and is keeping me playing it, the graphics have greatly improved and the gameplay and combat has improved too, i just wish you had that little bit more freedom tbh

ahh well, ill carry on playing and see if things open up.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
One thing I will say about this, is that they have got the DLC concept absolutely bang on with ME2. Bethesda could learn a lot from Bioware, imo.

With Fallout 3, each DLC pack increasingly felt like a random bolt-on. They didn't help or contribute to the main story in many ways - and at times, diluted the whole Fallout 3 experience for me. It was a bit like reading a chapter about reverse parking, while half-way through Hitler's Mein Kampf...... it just seemed bizarre for the most part.

But the ME2 DLCs have added a lot more to the core story (so far) - so much so, that they appear seemless with the core game.

D.