ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Massive vibrations at low rpm, Engine feeling loose

Hi
I'm getting very strong and loud vibrations when driving less than 900 rpm. If I floor it at 4/5 gear at low speed, I can feel and hear the engine and gearbox banging forward and backwards very hard.
Also I'm getting a loud "bang" noise when releasing the clutch between gears (normally, not quickly) , unless I take 2-3 seconds to release it very smoothly. Also If I play with the throttle at fifth gear (say 60mph) it feels and sounds like the engine is moving a lot.
All 4 mounts were changed , Tried to release all the mounts and re-tigthen them in a few different positions (engine as forward as possible etc), no changes.
I'm using a powerflex dogbone since getting the car, powerflex replaced it for me and it didn't help. Maybe this is the cause, but I'm having a hard time believing no one wrote about this online if the powerflex mount was the cause.
What else could cause this ?

172 Ph1
Sounds like your engine mounts are weak or sunk and it causing the down pipe to hit the heat shield on the subframe .

If the mounts have been changed then check for hoses touching ect near the bulkhead area

SQ5
Checked the mount bolts? Could of forgot to tighten some if only just fitted maybe?

Especially dogbone

Turning left or right at full lock, with any throttle amount, doesn't make any special ticking noise. Does this rule out driveshafts? Or only CV joints ?

That's what I did a few times, also tried tigthening them when someone is holding the clutch on first gear and reverse for a few seconds, using a jack to get the engine as forward as possible, nothing have any effect on this.... But some positions do make gear shifts much better.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
just thought of something.
Is the bolt on top of the gearbox still in one piece?
Mine broke off and it didn't really show until I removed the mount to have a look.
It is the bolt that sticks up from tha tripod that is attached to the gearbox.