ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matching inlets anyone?

clio sport 172
OK, I'm thinking about matching the inlets on my 172. I'm an engineer and have access to CNC millers, die grinders and everything needed to do the job. Has anyone on here done this before and is it really worth the work?

2005 Nissan Navara
Absolutely worth doing, no need for CNC, die grinder (Inc apptoriate burrs and sand rolls), and some blue. Jobs a good un.

2005 Nissan Navara
There's not much to do a guide on tbh, not on the matching side anyway...its pretty self explanitary?

There's a bit of port work to be done further into the tract, reshaping, but that's my preference and works well.

clio sport 172
Last edited:
  2005 Nissan Navara
Like I said, its all in my first post. You said you were an engineer, I assumed you would have some engineers blue.

Where in Carlisle do you work?

03 RS clio 172 flameR
I made a guide, search my threads as i simply cannot be bothered, i sure with that equipment you could do a better job than i did in all honesty, but the thory is there.

clio sport 172
Like I said, its all in my first post. You said you were an engineer, I assumed you would have some engineers blue.

Where in Carlisle do you work?

I work at a place called norwest engineering. yeah i have engineers blue but I'm just thinking about how i can mark the bottom manifold to the head?

big boost cup
i am fitting new one now sort of lol i will have a standard one for sale if you want a spare thats if i can get the injectors out if thats what they are any ideas cheers

Renaultsport Clio 172
I work at a place called norwest engineering. yeah i have engineers blue but I'm just thinking about how i can mark the bottom manifold to the head?

The gasket between the head and the mani is already spot on, if you match to the gasket you will be matching to the head actually. Be the gasket your guide...

RB 182 cup
ive done at least four now and have done them all to the gasket line.

when fitted ive checked the match to the head down each port and they have been nothing in it. very easy to do and give a noticable diffference

clio sport 172
i am fitting new one now sort of lol i will have a standard one for sale if you want a spare thats if i can get the injectors out if thats what they are any ideas cheers

Thanks, i may take you up on that. What you wanting for it?

NO!!!!!!!!! the gasket to the head is way bigger than you want to port out to.

Yeah i read that i need to match it to the the port and NOT the gasket which is what im going to do.
I read that i need to make the lower manifold slightly smaller than the ports on the head as if there bigger it can produce turbulence thus eliminate and work you have done with the top manifold if that makes sense?
Any ideas would be a big help

Last edited:
  clio sport 172
I made a guide, search my threads as i simply cannot be bothered, i sure with that equipment you could do a better job than i did in all honesty, but the thory is there.

i have looked but cant find it. Its just the marking up im not sure about tbh.

2005 Nissan Navara

FFS!
USE ENGINEERS BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You put the blue on the head, clamp up the lower section once youve index marked it, and it leaves a template for you to work to.
OR
Mark it up using the oe gasket and keep to just under a mm away from it (this is fine if you're used to doing them, but if youve got blue there and the head you are working with, do it that way).

Norwest is out Cumwhinton way isnt it? Im from Dalston originally...

clio sport 172
FFS!
USE ENGINEERS BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You put the blue on the head, clamp up the lower section once youve index marked it, and it leaves a template for you to work to.
OR
Mark it up using the oe gasket and keep to just under a mm away from it (this is fine if you're used to doing them, but if youve got blue there and the head you are working with, do it that way).

Norwest is out Cumwhinton way isnt it? Im from Dalston originally...

Yeah we're at the stripes in Cumwhinton. Hopefully doing the work this saturday. Going to lasercut some PTFE gaskets to go with it too. my confusion with marking it up was just that we use a blue spray for marking and not "engineers blue" but I'm sure ill work something out.

ebo

Ph2 172 '02, golf gti '83
any got pics of doing they're 172 might give it a whack just wondering what to expect when i open it up:rasp:

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
I know that a re-map after this has been done will reap the most benefits, but can this be done on a stock ecu, with no side effects?

ebo

Ph2 172 '02, golf gti '83
cheers mate seem to open it up a wee bit gonna attempt it soon with a drill. It cant be bad some performance for free with a bit of effort lol :cool:

Im gonna do it on a stock ecu mate i dont think it would affect it adversly. It ''should'' just let the engine revv with less effort. I've got a few other wee mods so it may make a difference with them. Im not expecting too much am just just curious to see the results.;)

clio sport 172
Right I'm going to have a go at the job on Saturday so will make a photo guide for anyone who is interested.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^Just waiting on delivery on mine now, then i'll be in touch ;)

clio sport 172
Well i started the job on Saturday and all is going well. Only thing that seems to bother me is that, as I'm not matching to the gasket but the lower plenum face, i only needed to take off about 1.5mm off one side and about 0.5mm off the other. This doesn't seem very much to me and hasn't really opened the inlets up alto. Not sure if this is what everyone else does?
Also iv taken a few pics and will continue to do so until iv finished, then ill try put a guide together.

182 trackday racer
Well i started the job on Saturday and all is going well. Only thing that seems to bother me is that, as I'm not matching to the gasket but the lower plenum face, i only needed to take off about 1.5mm off one side and about 0.5mm off the other. This doesn't seem very much to me and hasn't really opened the inlets up alto. Not sure if this is what everyone else does?
Also iv taken a few pics and will continue to do so until iv finished, then ill try put a guide together.

Thats about what I had to take on my 182 plenum sp it seems right. I did most of the jobb in the plenum part.