ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

May have to sell the RB182 :(

2004 Racing Blue 182
I think I’m gonna have to sell the RB182.

Just got a new job which will mean a 40mile commute a day and just couldn’t do it in the Clio. I’ve only had it 3months too so proper gutted about it.

It has developed a noise in the gearbox that RS Tuning have diagnosed as either the mainshaft bearing or a diff bearing.

Unsure whether to have the ‘box repaired then sell, or sell as it is. The rest of the car is mint. Immaculate even.

It’s just had a remap @ RS Tuning, 4 new Michelin pilot sport 3s and laser alignment @ Bram Racing.

What kind of price would be a fair asking price without the box being done?

Like I said, apart from the box, the car is immaculate. Had all the bushes and mounts swapped out for polybushes, recently new cup dampers all round, lowered on eibach springs, had Eibach camber bolts fitted to the front, Turinis, janspeed exhaust, had all the plastics replaced so no sticky bits, Alpine headunit, folder full of history. Belts and pulley done at 78k car now on 98k.

6da8790eb13d5fde36fcd7e4587e9b19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 Racing Blue 182
Could you not keep as a weekend toy on a limited mileage insurance policy and just buy a cheap derv for the daily commute?

Nowhere to keep two cars mate, nor the finances to do it. I would love to but just don’t have the funds. I’ve had to take a pay cut and longer commute. Nothing I can do about it. I’m not struggling to afford the car, just don’t want to commute in it, would rather something a bit comfier.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Stunning car mate, shame it's come to this. I'm in nearly the same position as I'm hopefully going to be starting a new job soon with a 30 mile commute. Already putting enough wear and tear on mine as it is hitting the country roads as much as possible!

Value wise... I'm really not sure. Just don't bother advertising on Facebook that's all I can say, everyone on there is tight as f*ck and wants everything for free.

About the noise from the box, has it got worse? Have you changed the oil yet like we recommended?

2004 Racing Blue 182
Stunning car mate, shame it's come to this. I'm in nearly the same position as I'm hopefully going to be starting a new job soon with a 30 mile commute. Already putting enough wear and tear on mine as it is hitting the country roads as much as possible!

Value wise... I'm really not sure. Just don't bother advertising on Facebook that's all I can say, everyone on there is tight as f*ck and wants everything for free.

About the noise from the box, has it got worse? Have you changed the oil yet like we recommended?

Oil is getting changed early next week, it hasn’t got any worse no.

I’m swaying towards repairing it to enable me to get the most out of the sale.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Why don't you work backwards... what's it worth with a rebuilt box? £3-3.5k if you advertise it right? Let's say £3200
A rebuilt box these days goes for say... £400? If you can't do it yourself, fitting about £350, plus consumables like oil and coolant etc... so say another £400?
£3200 - 900 = 2300. But then take that £300 off for the inconvenience to the buyer having to sort a new box.
So I'd be asking about 2k I'd say.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Why don't you work backwards... what's it worth with a rebuilt box? £3-3.5k if you advertise it right? Let's say £3200
A rebuilt box these days goes for say... £400? If you can't do it yourself, fitting about £350, plus consumables like oil and coolant etc... so say another £400?
£3200 - 900 = 2300. But then take that £300 off for the inconvenience to the buyer having to sort a new box.
So I'd be asking about 2k I'd say.

Not a bad idea. Was quoted between £700-800 for the rebuild with a new clutch by RS Tuning. So yeah, between £2k and £2300 would be about where I’m at.

Nowhere to keep two cars mate, nor the finances to do it. I would love to but just don’t have the funds. I’ve had to take a pay cut and longer commute. Nothing I can do about it. I’m not struggling to afford the car, just don’t want to commute in it, would rather something a bit comfier.

Totally agree mate, rubbish commute car. I'd just sell as is and not mention the gearbox issue...oh wait, lol.

Mate, just get a used box out of a breaker. I sold mine for £150, just get a local indy to fit for £150-200 max. Sod paying £800 for someone else to enjoy a nicely rebuilt box and new clutch for you not to make a penny in profit from all the hassle.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I do 45 miles a day in my RB 182 cup. It's not the perfect commuter car, but anything else more sensible or suited to your daily drive will be boring.

They're too noisy and the seating position sucks, other than that they aren't too bad. My commute is mostly 40-50mph average speed roads, but i have a couple of stretches of NSL roads with some decent corners that are fun to drive down.

I've done the same journey in a hybrid diesel Jetta running 210+bhp, a Mk1 1.8t TT running 285bhp, a standard 3.0i Z4 and now 4 clio 182's (including having 1 twice). Each time i've had another car i've gone back to another 182 afterwards.

Out of these the Jetta probably the most suitable for my journey, 500 miles to a tank, just as quick as the clio in a straight line, ok in the corners with the uprated suspension and sticky tyres. But i missed the noise and power delivery of a N/A petrol engine.

I wouldn't rush into selling, use the car for a couple of months first and see how it goes. If you do look to sell, maybe look at a golf gti or similar, it'll still be fairly fun to drive but should be much more comfortable.

2004 Racing Blue 182
What`s so arduous about commuting in a 172 ?

I was thinking that. Is it 40 mile there, 40 mile back or 40 miles round trip?

40 mile round trip is nothing in these really.

I could probably do it for a while, but it would get old really quickly. That and I don’t want to put those kind of miles on it. It’s only gonna cost me more money in the long run.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Mate, just get a used box out of a breaker. I sold mine for £150, just get a local indy to fit for £150-200 max. Sod paying £800 for someone else to enjoy a nicely rebuilt box and new clutch for you not to make a penny in profit from all the hassle.

This may be an option. I may do this, then keep the Clio for a bit to see how I get on, but like I say, I think it may get old really quickly.

I’ll change the oil in the box and see if that makes any difference.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Shame. Could not stick a good working box in it?

What do you think it’s worth? What year is it?

2004 Racing Blue 182
Shame. Could not stick a good working box in it?

What do you think it’s worth? What year is it?

54 plate. I reckon looking at what’s about and what’s sold recently, £3200-£3500 would be what I’d want for it. It really is a mint car (except the box [emoji51])

2004 Racing Blue 182
What gearbox is in it now just out of curiousity, so I can see what I can find.

PH2 172
What gearbox is in it now just out of curiousity, so I can see what I can find.

JC5-130, but you could use a 129 or 089 as the speedo runs off the ABS on the 130.
The 129 has identical gear & final drive ratios as the 130,
and the 089 has identical gears, but a higher final drive ratio.

I have the 089 fitted, and I like it because it drops 90mph to 4000 rpm, and pulls to 95mph in third.

Not sure why you are worried about putting some miles on the car, it`s coming up for 100k as it is, a few more wont really affect it`s value.

I think this sort of comes down to the old discussion about "Would you rather buy a minter that's barely done any miles and might have deteriorated through lack of use, or a high miler that, like Trigger's broom, is basically a new car because everything's been replaced and is operating as it should?" - personally speaking, I like driving my cars too much to tuck them away and not use them, so I'd rather a fully refreshed car on 150k and folder of receipts than a 30k minter I'd be too worried about driving in case the value went down.

Life is short - if you're spending 2 hours a day in a car, do you want to be bored out of your mind and pining for a drive in a 182 once a year at a trackday when you can borrow a mate's, or driving the 182 every day and having a great drive when you get a clear run? Do you want that 10 hours a week / 480 hours a year (!) to be a mush of indistinct, droning nothingness in your mind, or punctuated with memories of some epic drives when you can drive it like a it's wet rally stage in a downpour / slither your way in the snow with full confidence and great steering feel / get a balls-out completely clear run on an early start or late finish during the school summer holidays?

I wasn't really looking forward to the journey but I deliberately went cross-country earlier in the week, just because it was late, quiet, and the weather was threatening a massive downpour - it took about a third longer and I got very wet at one point, but it was awesome and I found some superb new roads that I'll be adding to the memory banks to come back to again.

EDIT: I will admit that the current steer drives me slightly potty some days, but all that gets forgotten about when 'in the moment'!

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Don't make a knee jerk decision. Give it a couple of months and see how you get on.

I do 50 miles a day in my 172 Cup and it really doesn't bother me. If you take it easy you can get well over 40mpg. You are not going to save much going to your average diesel, like for like purchase and running costs will be more.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Think it’s the fact the car looks in great condition and wouldn’t want to ‘ruin’ it on the motorway slogging the motorway jaunt. I appreciate it’s not 25k a year.

That and you will end up just getting used to the car and will become just another ca
I appreciate it’s not a SL65.

If its bumper to bumper motorway traffic for 40 miles then i really don't see the point in keeping the Clio. If its a mixed drive with not much crawling traffic thats a total different story.

Try it and see first. I've been using my new toy for work and I'm loving it, but i know it will become tedious.

RS Clio 182
Id probably be interested mate but the gearbox issue im not sure about. Got a LY R26 but always looking at maybe going back to a mint 182 hehe.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'd fix it and keep it. I don't get why so many on here say it's such a s**t commuter car. Yeah it's no 3 series but it's also no Arial atom. They really aren't that bad with air non, cruise, half decent mpg etc..
As for the not wanting to put miles on it, if you don't someone else will so whats it matter? If you like it keep it and enjoy it when you can imo.

I'd keep it personally mate. I did about 20k in mine in a little over a year before selling and whilst it's not a perfect motorway cruiser/40-mile per day commuter, it did an OK job. I had an '09 Honda Jazz Auto as a cheap-ish motorway car when I was doing a 45 mile per day commute and yes it was cheap doing 50MPG, but it was so tedious!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I could probably do it for a while, but it would get old really quickly. That and I don’t want to put those kind of miles on it. It’s only gonna cost me more money in the long run.

LOL @ miles. Cars are literally designed to be driven, and therefore put miles on.

What are you going to swap it for ? Ten grands worth of diesel BMW to save £10 a week in fuel ? Or a £500 dCi65 ?

2004 Racing Blue 182

LOL @ miles. Cars are literally designed to be driven, and therefore put miles on.

What are you going to swap it for ? Ten grands worth of diesel BMW to save £10 a week in fuel ? Or a £500 dCi65 ?

When I said I don’t want to put the miles on it, it’s not to keep it low mileage because isn’t not really, it’s because 40 miles a day over a year on a 182 is just going to cost through wear and tear, they are robust to a degree, but more fragile than most.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
When I said I don’t want to put the miles on it, it’s not to keep it low mileage because isn’t not really, it’s because 40 miles a day over a year on a 182 is just going to cost through wear and tear, they are robust to a degree, but more fragile than most.

So you're going to walk to work instead ?

I'm not (trying) to be an arse.. but 10k miles a year is really nothing to worry about, unless your commute is 20 miles of cobbled hills.

Say it costs you £500 a year in really extreme circumstances, add that to the £1k+ you're going to lose selling the car you've just bought, and then.. what ? How much is the new car going to cost to buy and run compared to the Clio ?

Just keep & enjoy the Clio instead of being in some soul-less rep-mobile that you think saves you 50p a day. It's really not worth it !

BMW M4; S1000 RR

I'd disagree with that tbh. They're cheap as chips to run for something that's remotely interesting. Sure a 1.2 equivalent will be less, but not by fortunes as the 182 won't cost thousands a year to run in the first place.

They get decent mpg when you drive normally, have some creature comforts and looks/sounds cool.

Reactions: Gus