ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

May have to sell the RB182 :(

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
40 miles a day in this will overall be cheaper than any derv that isn't already on it's last legs or has the appeal of diarrhoea!

Really good on fuel these cars. I really fancy another to have as a project.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've done 20k in mine in the last 2 years and it's needed nothing that any other daily driver would have needed. If you think it will be uncomfortable to do the miles in get it on standard springs and put a silencer in the exhaust and the only thing it'll be missing will be the diesel clatter everyone else has in their commute. However on the weekend you'll still have the option of just going for a drive because you have something enjoyable to do that in.

Nil presently.
I'll attempt to add balance to this argument, as I've owned this very vehicle as a commuter for a little over a year.

I did circa 50 miles a day in it during my daily slog, sometimes double that if I was called in again on-call. Both the economy and comfort were unremarkable, with the MPG sitting in the high 30's / low 40's throughout the journey. I wouldn't slander it as intolerable, yes, a tad uncomfortable at times maybe due to the K-tec coilovers, however beyond that it was a reasonable drive and great fun dropping a few gears throughout the journey to open her up, so to speak. I owned an E92 320d concurrently, which got very little use as I genuinely preferred the Clio, however that was, in some regards, due to timing chain failures on the 320d engines making me petrified to turn the key. Both of these were sold during my planned emigration.

Following my return to the UK I ended up owning a Diesel Passat whilst I searched for a property close to my place of work. The Passat, a 1.9TDI was agreeably better on fuel, however when taking the current premium for diesel fuel into account, and the drop in value of diesel cars due to various emission scandals and the governments drive towards petrol-hybrid and electric motoring, the actual saving was only a lot less profound than I what I first imagined.

If you're anything like me, you'll miss the Clio very soon after it exchanges hands. Yes, it might not be the most comfortable, nor modern vehicle on the road today, however the cheap repair costs, longevity and character far outweigh its negative facets. Furthermore, believe me, when you're replacing all 6 DI injectors, coils, plugs and coding at a BMW dealership at a cost of £1800, you'll long for the days when you could swap them yourself for £25 each in a matter of minutes.

Ultimately, it's your choice, however I'm poised to agree with those saying you should try it for a few months; you might be pleasantly surprised! You've evidently pumped a huge amount of time, energy and money into the vehicle, which will be of little solace if somebody else gets to reap the rewards.

In terms of pricing, I would expect to see around £2600, which would just about cover the purchase, insurance, tax and running of a Nissan Almera or something alike.

PS I would take it back off you in a heartbeat, however the new property we moved into a few weeks ago only has 1 allocated private parking space which is currently reserved for the M4 :)

2004 Racing Blue 182
Thanks for all the comments guys. I’m still undecided on what to do. I’ll defo be fitting another box, wouldn’t feel right selling without it, the car deserves better. And if I sell, so does the new owner.

I know that a lot of you don’t have a problem commuting in a 182, and I will give it a try for a month or so, but they thought of sitting on the M62 in rush hour both ways with this clutch makes me shudder

I’ll see how it goes and work it from there.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Thanks for all the comments guys. I’m still undecided on what to do. I’ll defo be fitting another box, wouldn’t feel right selling without it, the car deserves better. And if I sell, so does the new owner.

I know that a lot of you don’t have a problem commuting in a 182, and I will give it a try for a month or so, but they thought of sitting on the M62 in rush hour both ways with this clutch makes me shudder

I’ll see how it goes and work it from there.

Just do what I've done. Buy something cheap, diesel and comfy to use for work and keep the Clio. My Volvo cost me just over £700, I pay £10 a month tax and get double mpg than I do in the Clio. More importantly, it's much much more comfortable than the Clio. Loved the heated leathers in Winter!

Insurance cost me slightly less this year for my Volvo and Clio than it did just for my Clio last year so I'm hardly out of pocket.

PH2 172
. I’ll defo be fitting another box, wouldn’t feel right selling without it, the car deserves better. And if I sell, so does the new owner.

I know that a lot of you don’t have a problem commuting in a 182, and I will give it a try for a month or so, but they thought of sitting on the M62 in rush hour both ways with this clutch makes me shudder.

If you change the clutch at the same time as the box, you will loose that heavy pedal.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The JC5 clutch isn't fun in stop start traffic I agree. Just get a bike to commute on if you're doing motorway miles where there will be traffic.

I would commute on my bike in a heartbeat if it was motorway only. Never sit in traffic again.

2004 Racing Blue 182
The JC5 clutch isn't fun in stop start traffic I agree. Just get a bike to commute on if you're doing motorway miles where there will be traffic.

I would commute on my bike in a heartbeat if it was motorway only. Never sit in traffic again.

That’s an option, I may decide on that course of action yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I do 40 miles a day in my RB. I don't find it an issue.

I had a ph1 and was doing the same journey before for around a year or so. Once again, not an issue. I sold/broke my ph1 because i thought that i wanted to be sensible (Bought a volvo s40) and although it was churning out decent mpg, the journey was dull. Although the clio is on the same journey, it just feels much better.

I dont think a 40 mile a day commute is enough to get rid of such a nice example, personally.

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Don't do it! Not just yet anyway, this is definitely one of those reactive not proactive situations! Do the necessary repairs and do it properly, my advice would be at least then enjoy the car for a while when you can after forking out for maintenence. If you get utterly fed up commuting in it then it'll be an easy choice. Is motorway traffic really clutch heavy? I used to commute long distances for years and I got particularly adept at anticipating stop start traffic and thus avoiding using brakes/clutch. I would say that a journey with a lot of roundabouts/traffic light junctions which would be much more arduous.

Good luck, I nearly sold my M3 a few weeks ago due to a series of bills and change in life circumstances. Whilst the 'just get rid' mindset still hovers (as does a big bill on it tomorrow) I am glad I didn't knee-jerk and sell it at the first sign of trouble. Yours looks tidy and they are gently appreciating, still cheap to run. Good luck! Sad to see you are in this situation and hopefully things change soon and you can enjoy your little Clio as you intended to when you bought it.

PH2 172
I do 40 miles a day in my RB. I don't find it an issue.

I had a ph1 and was doing the same journey before for around a year or so. Once again, not an issue. I sold/broke my ph1 because i thought that i wanted to be sensible (Bought a volvo s40) and although it was churning out decent mpg, the journey was dull. Although the clio is on the same journey, it just feels much better.

I dont think a 40 mile a day commute is enough to get rid of such a nice example, personally.

And how many miles have you done on your feather light clutch now?

I read you are considering doubling your commute under cover of justifying it with some lame excuse about house prices, just so you spend more time driving the RB182.

Another vote for get gearbox fixed and commute :)

Commuting is boring so why make it more interesting by finding some b roads and getting that F4R singing. I do that daily and can't wait to drive it at any opportunity. Mine's decatted with a ktec stealth, and has a ramair so it's hardly quiet but it's perfect for me.

40 miles is nothing, i’d rather have a car that you look forward to going to and from work in rather than some soul destroying run of the mill diesel. Plus 1*2’s are economical as they come tbh. You’d regret it!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Mines fine to commute in, I don't see the problem.
Air-con, auto-lights, auto-wipers, cruise - it's got plenty of convenience features to keep you happy.

If you don't ruin the ride by fitting horrible suspension or a stupidly loud exhaust it's a fine car to potter about in.

2004 Racing Blue 182
I’m having the box looked at today, have a decent quote from a garage to fit a reconned one should I decide to do that. So we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan's cast offs.
The wife does about 30,000 miles a year in her 172, she said to man up!!

Be wary about a 'second box though, you can't do one cheap if you do it properly. Rebuild kit alone is just over £300 and that doesn't include any selector forks of gears etc so you can easily end up spending £400+ on parts.

Might sound expensive but pms do a new box for £700, fit one of them and it's goimg to be as problem free as possible and you'll ha e a box that will last you the life of the car then.

Land Rover
I just came across this thread by accident
I’ve got Naplesvalver’s 182 now, l’m a perfectionist with cars so have already spent £600 on it.
It’s currently in the garage having a new clutch, gearbox repair, cam belt, water pump and aux drive belt.
I’ve replaced the drivers seat base foam, fitted new carpets, got the aircon working, waxoyled the underside, had the tiny door dents sorted, fitted a brand new OE gear shift lever and knob, plus various plastic parts replaced like the scuttle panels where the end fixings were broken.
I fixed an oil leak from the PAS sensor, and repaired the squeaking wiper mechanism.
I plan to keep it but will have to see what happens when we get the VW Up GTi in August.

I’ve got Naplesvalver’s 182 now, l’m a perfectionist with cars so have already spent £600 on it.
It’s currently in the garage having a new clutch, gearbox repair, cam belt, water pump and aux drive belt.
I’ve replaced the drivers seat base foam, fitted new carpets, got the aircon working, waxoyled the underside, had the tiny door dents sorted, fitted a brand new OE gear shift lever and knob, plus various plastic parts replaced like the scuttle panels where the end fixings were broken.
I fixed an oil leak from the PAS sensor, and repaired the squeaking wiper mechanism.
I plan to keep it but will have to see what happens when we get the VW Up GTi in August.

You drive the Up! for a bit, get excited by the 'ooooh, shiny and new!!' aspect of it, then 4 weeks in realise that it's actually got crap steering feeling, an artificial 'engineered sportiness' and has no actual character, and that the 182 is hands-down the better drivers' car that also forms an emotional bond with you, like a slightly annoying but endearingly nutty small mongrel dog? ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
When I moved back to Ashton-under-Lyne, my daily commute (there and back) was 60 miles. I did that for two years and although I had a 2nd car at the time to switch to occasionally, the vast majority of the time was behind the wheel of the 182.

If there had been an accident or some other road closure - the stop/start mentality of the rolling traffic did get tiresome in the Clio. But that's an occasional thing and one that certainly didn't put me off from keeping it.

During that time, it showed no better or worse signs of usage - perhaps the most obvious one was the frequency of tyre changes, which made sense with the increased miles. Even to this day, after 13.5 years - I glance at the reflection of the little Frenchie in a shop window when its clean and think there isn't much else in terms of £££-to-fun that I'd rather have.

Ask yourself as to when was the last RB you saw on the road? Good ones are getting harder and harder to find.

Land Rover
You drive the Up! for a bit, get excited by the 'ooooh, shiny and new!!' aspect of it, then 4 weeks in realise that it's actually got crap steering feeling, an artificial 'engineered sportiness' and has no actual character, and that the 182 is hands-down the better drivers' car that also forms an emotional bond with you, like a slightly annoying but endearingly nutty small mongrel dog? ;)

Maybe, but reserve judgement until you try the GTi version....it’s in a different league to the competent-but-dull standard Up that we also test drove.
I’ll rarely get to drive it though as my missus will be using it. That’s why l was hoping to keep the Clio!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

For a ‘mint’ car that certainly needed a fair bit of work!

Good effort.

Land Rover
It was to most people a mint car when l bought it.
It was certainly the best one l’d looked at including one that was over twice the price, one at £3000 and one at £4000.
The interior was really good and needed nothing, except the driver’s seat was a bit softer than the passenger one and there was a bit of wear to the driver’s heel mat.
The bodywork was exceptionally nice save for a few dents only visible in a certain light.
Under the bonnet most would say was superb, but l found a few things to do.
It was only the gearbox really, but l decided to get the clutch done as it was heavy, and the cam belt is due next year.
And the water pump started to dribble coolant although radiator sealant stopped it.
I’m not sure l could have done any better for the money.
I looked at a 22,000 mile 182 that was up at £6,000
It looked nice, as you’d expect, but had never had a cam belt, the front spoiler was broken, it has three makes of tyre on it, the bonnet was stone chipped, the steering wheel was off centre, there were a couple of small dents, and the rear discs were corroded.
Which is over £1000 making it £7,000+
If it had been racing blue or liquid yellow l might still have gone for it, but it was silver.

2004 Racing Blue 182
So it’s been about 3 months since selling the 182.

I miss it, but only on the right road, I made the right choice for me I think, I ended up using the wife’s car for a while and public transport when I was in desperate need!

I managed to get my old job back, with a nice pay rise to go with it, which is nice. So after all that I probably could’ve kept the 182, but never mind. You live and learn.

Anyway, for the last couple of months I’ve managed to enjoy my new purchase. I decided that I wanted something that would tick all my boxes, performance, looks, comfort, reasonable economy, so I started looking at MK5 GTIs again. Somehow managed to persuade my wife that an Edition 30was the way to go, so that’s what I bought. Couldn’t be happier.

Yes, it’s a heavier car than the 182, yes, it’s not as clinical on the right road, but, the compromise on that, comes full circle when I’m not on the right road and the car is a nice quietish (!) cruiser that will comfortably do 35-40mpg. When I am on country roads and decide to plant the loud pedal, it’s bloody awesome, the noise from the turbo/induction kit/exhaust is just epic, oh, and it’s stage 1 mapped to just shy of 300bhp, so it’s no slouch either.

Was thinking about a project thread on here, as there really are no car forums like this one.

Anyway, cheeky pick of the new beast [emoji48]
c172a6fda465a986503fc0d17d9e6b60.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk