ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mayo in filler cap - 1.2 8v 2002 - help!

My other half's 1.2 8v Authentique ('02) runs and pulls fine, but I've recently noticed "mayonnaise" in the oil filler cap.

I'm a bit stumped because the coolant is fine, there's no mayo on the oil dipstick and the gasket looks fine from the outside.

The last oil change was about 8k miles ago and the car is a spring chicken on 32k. I've recently topped the oil up with a 10/40 Halfords basic oil (probably 1 litre over the last year).

Like I say, it runs and pulls fine, there are no symptoms apart from the "mayonnaise"... and I'm stumped!

Help! Cheers. :)

i used to get a bit on my old car (not a clio), i just put it down to it being damp..

wipe it clean and see if any more builds up..

IIRC its quite common to get that on the caps of the 1.2s, as long as there isnt any mayo on the dipstick or in the coolant then i wouldnt worry.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah Harry you do, cos the engine struggles to get to a good temperture so the damp doesnt really clear. If it has no other symptoms then dont worry about it.

Thanks guys - relief! It gets used around town quite a bit, although has long runs every three months or so when I like the idea of 50mpg rather than the 25mpg my car gives. ;)

TBH, it's a relief in more ways than one because it looks like it may become our only car for a while. We're planning to move right into the centre of a city where we'll only need one car; it'll be hard to justify keeping a 300bhp Italian Coupe rather than a practical Clio. :(

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
:(

keep the Coupe! really nice cars.

what mods have you done for 300bhp?

is it just a matter of upping the boost? Can the internals take it that easy?

IIRC, the 20V Turbo versions come complete with forged pistons to start with, so getting upwards of 300bhp on standard internals is quite safe and many people over on FCCUK are running these sorts of figures. A couple of people are running over 500bhp, though are doing so using the Fiat / Alfa 2.4 bottom end.

You can buy a chip from a FCCUK forum member for about £30 that ups the boost to varying degrees (others available too), but you really want a nice intercooler to safely run big boost.

My car was bought mod'ed from Fishy_Dave in part exchange for my Ph2 172 - he's a forum member here too. :) The main mods are a huge Evo intercooler, boost controller, perfectly mapped fuelling via Unichip, straight induction with RamAir, nice-spec hybrid turbo, turbo-back exhaust, aquamist and quite a few other bits and bobs. Brakes, suspension and exterior are all taken care of too:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c37/benhume/

Caterham 1400 Supersport
:approve:

Took me a couple of years to get her to 300bhp+ safely (I used to use her a lot on trackdays and sprints).

Bens doing a good job of looking after my old Coupe, couldn't have gone to a better home. In the mean time I get my current Coupe back on Monday, having had a new gearbox and front shocks at £700+. Soooo looking forward to driving it again, it will feel like a rocket ship compared to the Clio, has been away for 7 weeks now! :(