ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MBP Output Question...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So, the gf popped into apple tonight for me, to pick up a "Mini display port to VGA connector", when in there the guy badgered her to buy the Mini display port to HDMI connector, saying that as my TV was HD, this would be better....

Now, I intend to use this so that I can play films off my MBP onto my TV.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I go down the HDMI route I will have no sound coming out of the TV because HDMI assumes sound will be transmitted through the HDMI cable, (which cannot be done because of the mini display port being unable to transmit sound) rather than when using VGA, it pulls the sound from the pc audio in, which I can connect up to the audio out port.

Am I crazy or not?

Monaro VXR
Mini display port should support audio, infact it will support full 7.1 channel surround sound.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Are you frikken serious? I assumed (I know I'm a fool for assuming) but I assumed that a "Display port" would only support visual.

Anyone confirm? Or do you have a link to confirm?

EDIT:

On 13 April 2010, Apple added support for audio out using Mini DisplayPort in their MacBook Pro product line. This added feature allows users to easily connect their Macbook Pros to their HDTVs using a cable adapting Mini DisplayPort to HDMI with full audio and video functionality

Is this with the introduction of "Thunderbolt"? Because my laptop doesn't have a little lightening bolt by this connection, just a box with two lines either side.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I have a MDP to HDMI. It supports audio on my Samsung TV in my room, but doesn't on the Sharp we have in the living room. No idea why. That may or may not help you. I don't have Thunderbolt either.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I have an MDP to VGA from apple yes, but it was only 21£, I'll buy a HDMI version off amazon and see how I get on though. My tv is a half decent LG, 42 inch LCD jobbie, so hopefully it'll work.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What model is your MBP?

The adaptor is irrelevant, they all support audio.

Its the mac that's the issue

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
How do I know what model it is? It's about 10/11 months old according to coconut battery?

I had no idea MDP supported audio which is why I went for the VGA connector (and I used apples one as it wasn't that pricey) If I'd known it had supported sound I'd have gone straight to amazon and got a HDMI version as the apple store only sell one that's like £40.

Monaro VXR
So it's a 2010 model? Most likely will be fine, I think before that they were using mini DVI anyway. I know mine is a late 2009 model and has mini DVI.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Then it supports sound. Mine is a mid 2009 and has a non sound outputting display port chipset

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Excellent Tom, cheers.

One last question guys, which of the following would you recommend?

a) MDP to HDMI adapter - which I then have to buy a HDMI cable
b) MDP to HDMI cable, no adapter needed, are there any down sides?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
MDP to hdmi adapter, you never know if you need a longer cable.

HDMI cables are £1

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Do not buy the iWires one they have in store. I got one and its pulling away near the mini display port already (had it a month and only used it 3 or 4 times). Terrible piece of s**t.