ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ME221 PnP Install

Hi all,

Please read my whole post before replying, thankyou

I can't seem to find any videos online for a walkthrough for the clio ME221 PnP ECU
I've watched the video from ME installing the mx5 PnP on a stock mx5 but not sure this would be much help to me
Just want to be confident before going down to the car & wasting a trip

Can anyone be of assistance please? I have also read through the guide online but in the video it's said about modifying the ECU housing (mx5) & not in the guide so want to know if this needs to be done etc

I've got the list of pins that need the be swapped, assuming this is on the stock plug as I don't have any wiring with the ME221. Is this right?

Spec of car atm, ph1 172 running 197 cams & ZX12R itbs (not mapped for either yet of course. Have driven the car on the cams alone from the garage where they where fitted & don't feel like I want to start it too much cos it was an absolute pig as expected really)

Plus if anyone can recommend if I should go with the injectors that came with the itb kit or 197 injectors (I have both sets but not sure which would be better, I mean the ones that came with the kit make sense but I'm not sure) opinions of more knowledgeable people welcome

It's a learning process for me so please have patience

Thanks

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
As far as I recall the clio pnp kit was a bit of a wash out. They did a small run of them at discounted prices but that was it so there was no video walk through as far as I saw.

I had one of them on my boosted clio and tbh it was very poor. You basically had to post on Facebook to ask questions which generally gave you varying replies.

Luckily a guy at my work had the same ecu on his boosted mx5 so was able to talk me through setting up.

I'm not sure what wires you are talking about swapping? The clio me221 pnp should be exactly that, plug and play. I never saw a wiring diagram for the pnp ecu for the clio.

As far as I recall the clio pnp kit was a bit of a wash out. They did a small run of them at discounted prices but that was it so there was no video walk through as far as I saw.

I had one of them on my boosted clio and tbh it was very poor. You basically had to post on Facebook to ask questions which generally gave you varying replies.

Luckily a guy at my work had the same ecu on his boosted mx5 so was able to talk me through setting up.

I'm not sure what wires you are talking about swapping? The clio me221 pnp should be exactly that, plug and play. I never saw a wiring diagram for the pnp ecu for the clio.

The pins need to be swapped around for the ph1 (which mine is) due to the cable throttle not fbw
It's in the guide attached :)

Attachments

• ME221_Clio Install Guide.pdf
    256.8 KB · Views: 100

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I've got the list of pins that need the be swapped, assuming this is on the stock plug as I don't have any wiring with the ME221. Is this right?

yes you'll need to repin the plug going into the ecu
i ran the bike injectors on my own car - albeit not a clio. It's pretty easy to change the injector size in MEITE.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The pins need to be swapped around for the ph1 (which mine is) due to the cable throttle not fbw
It's in the guide attached :)
Okay yeah, I never got that guide (turns out I was one of the OG's before the guide came out)

I had to do the same thing as I went from fbw to cable throttle as was using the ph1 tb.

The pins in the stock harness connector had to be altered. Nothing had to be done to the me221 ecu itself, at all.

Okay yeah, I never got that guide (turns out I was one of the OG's before the guide came out)

I had to do the same thing as I went from fbw to cable throttle as was using the ph1 tb.

The pins in the stock harness connector had to be altered. Nothing had to be done to the me221 ecu itself, at all.

Fair, yeah makes sense :) thanks! Do you have a photo of the ECU mounted at all please? Apparently it fits in the stock ECU housing? Assuming the OE ECU needs to be removed for that. I was led to believe this was a piggyback application but not a big deal as long as everything runs as it should

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was a different layout and a very old design so I doubt it would be applicable to you mate. Think the newer one actually looks like an ecu, mine was a tin box basically. Will see if I can find a pic

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Just to the left of the air filter
20200604_122138.jpg

Mine was a different layout and a very old design so I doubt it would be applicable to you mate. Think the newer one actually looks like an ecu, mine was a tin box basically. Will see if I can find a pic

This is what I have:
IMG_3873[4368].jpg

Just to the left of the air filter

Interesting, thanks for that. Did you have to custom fabricate the brackets to mount it there?

& what's the black reservoir pot for (where the ECU/power steering is usually positioned)

Sorry for 20 questions

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
No worries, that was an oil catch can

I got some brackets with the ecu or actually I asked for them from a guy called chip who was part running the group buybwith Dan Potter.they are literally just crappy L brackets that slide in the me221 rails. Mine was the same as yours by the looks of it .i then mounted it to the top of the gearbox mount where the battery used to go.