ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Meek Racing & Percy the track car

RB 182
Since the last project thread updates I have now taken full ownership of the car. I will keep the thread updated but please be patient as I’m quite pathetic at writing up reports and keeping people up to date with things...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?591808-Cr33do-and-Meek_Racing-s-track-car-project

The engine currently pulls 195bhp due to its limitations with very high comp setup, Paul@RS tuning had to pull the timing almost completely back due to knocking, as previously mentioned, its running between 13:1 & 14:1!! Future plans will be to run an ethanol kit to fully maximise the cr and be the first to do so on this type of setup for a clio sport. Cost wise it will be similar to putting a new head on, running a thicker gasket, or having lower comp pistons, so why not huh!

The short turn plan will be to improve the handle of the car and traction in the corners, for this I have purchased some wheel spacers and camber bolt & shims. Oh, and a BTM sticker to add 10bhp ;)

DSC_1019_zps74db380f.gif

I was quite keen on having the stealth exhaust not so stealth, Fred was very helpful in modifying his favourite brand in the CS world... ;) The end result was something quite tidy! Very similar to my old 182 exhaust with a thin wall section pipe and slash cut to follow the bumper. It’s sitting a tiny bit low in the picture as I need to replace the exhaust mount. It's still a queit exhaust so it will do for now, I did try my best to rent Freds Dynacup exhaust but he would have none of it :(

IMAG0440_zpsf32c7e47.gif

DSC_1034_zps0ade8997.gif

I was due to take Percy to Bedford but after Freds mods to the exhaust, he noticed that there was an air leak with the custom air box. It had completely cracked on the Throttle Body plate and was pulling the plate and TB into the box!! Unfortunately that meant the car was staying put. I could have put the standard plenum back on, but there was a risk that the mapping would screw things up. As a quick fix I managed to get an 8mm ali plate machined and welded onto the box. The TB now mounts directly to the box meaning less stress points, this one won’t budge!

DSC_1037_zps68f19329.gif

DSC_1038_zpsfb804dd3.gif

I think the box had a small leak when originally mapped at RS tuning, with everything fully sealed the engine now stalls unless you keep the revs up. I need to get this increased as it becomes very annoying when coming to a stop at a junction.

The car is currently running -3 camber all round and 20min toe out on the front and 20min toe in on the rear. I’m in two minds as to running no shims on the rear now but this can be tested and easily replaced on the trackday. Unlike most CS rear axles, you do not need to take the hub nut off and remove the stub axle to replace the shims, for some reason my car runs the bolts from the back of the hub, so you simply undo these to remove the whole calliper/disc assembly! I’m thinking of buying a camber gauge so that this can be tweeked on the trackday too. There seems to be a lot of preferences for the front camber which will range from 2-3 deg, so at least with the gauge I can try both out on the day.

DSC_1018_zpsb013eef5.gif

DSC_1036_zps4b45cdba.gif

DSC_1033_zps89ba6c24.gif

DSC_1028_zpsfac4ef9c.gif

DSC_1020_zps53e2b5d5.gif

IMAG0439_zps648ad4e3.gif

Lotus Elise
Nicely little write up, the picture of the rear doesn't do the exhaust justice and did you really have to put that picture of Fred and I up?

RB 182
Rubbish, It keeps stalling on idle. I need to get the tick over increased :( The M42 is also very not suited to a track cars lol. It feels much tighter and stronger now that the air leak if fixed though :)

Good to see all is going well with it Mike was a shame not to see you at Bedford! It'll fly when you do the meth kit :) watch out with what camber gauge you buy as I bought one and its proper pants! I will send you a link later on fb to the one I'm planning on buying. Also don't forget that changing camber affects toe so you also need to do that after changing camber :)

RB 182
Cheers James, I think the camber on the rear will bring the tow neutral if I use 1 deg as standard, or 2 with a camber shim. In regards to the front, I think I will leave them be and see how it feels on track. I'm doing Oulton with easytrack next month so not long to wait :)

In regards to racing, I'd still like to do a couple of events this year. I'm away for a month in June so would be an ideal time to give the car to someone to fit a proper cage. With one less person it means paying the full amount, I'm putting a plan together for a budget and will present it to my manager and a few of our customers at work. If they each put aside some pennies it will help the situation a huge amount.

RB 182
Local tw*t fitter did it for me, it's window tinting film and internally fitted. If my company sponsor me It'll be a dark blue strip with WYNN or B.HEPWORTH on it :)

RB 182
Get a total block though mate, this one is 75%. Although it is great, I have had times late on in the evening when the sun is low and shines through it :( Not ideal when you bolted down just peering over the dash.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Get a total block though mate, this one is 75%. Although it is great, I have had times late on in the evening when the sun is low and shines through it :( Not ideal when you bolted down just peering over the dash.

Yeah that's what I am after mate. I am sitting so low now, that I need something that will totally block off evening sunsets.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Your car is looking great, can't wait to see how it goes now with all the new mods.

Let me know if you are selling the half cage. ;)

Have you thought about getting a head that hasn't been skimmed so much? Might be cheaper than going down the conversion route.

I can't remember the racing regs on fuel either, might be worth checking before you do the conversion if you want to go racing.

RB 182
Small update, with the weather being nice this weekend I thought I might as well crack on with the headlight project I wanted to do. With induction filter right behind the headlight I thought it would be ideal to have a cup racer style headlight as used on the MKII 172's.

I've previously purchased some headlights for £25 and Demon Tweeks brake duct for £7. After trimming the duct to the approximate shape I used Araldite to bond them together, then body panel filler for the gaps and to square off the inner face. This is the first time I have used filler so happy with the outcome, but could have done better. After a few coats of primer I used 2500 grit paper with soapy water, rinsed and left to air dry before the final coats... Matt Black :evil:

I will leave the lights properly cure over the week and then fit next Friday. Any ideas what sticker I should put on them? I was thinking an orange Alpine Star logo?

DSC_1042_zpsb3f717c5.jpg

DSC_1041_zps5aa60345.jpg

DSC_1043_zps32af8fcf.jpg

DSC_1047_zps59636866.jpg

DSC_1045_zpsda28be9a.jpg

DSC_0003_zps5f2d142c.jpg

RB 182
That would be the long term plan ;) for the time being will just swap them over on track days. I just need to sort the idle issue out and this is good to go now! Finally :)

How far is it to Leeds for you 1 and half hours or more? I can't think how far from Fred's you are and that's how long it normally takes me to get to his. If you go to Paul's let me know and I'll pop across and say hi :)

RB 182
About 2.5 hours I think. It's not the distance that's the issue, it's the car being s**t to drive on public roads and stalling every time you stop at a junction. I might have to bit the bullet and go there, will be an expensive trip just to increase the idle speed a few hundred rpm :(

About 2.5 hours I think. It's not the distance that's the issue, it's the car being s**t to drive on public roads and stalling every time you stop at a junction. I might have to bit the bullet and go there, will be an expensive trip just to increase the idle speed a few hundred rpm :(
Ahhh I see Mike well hope you get it sorted :)

RB 182
No update as such, only put stickers on the new headlights but rain has stopped any work on the car :( I'm thinking of selling the custom inlet soon so feel free to PM me for details. I'll put a full sale thread up as and when I come to that position, they will be replaced by some new parts ;)

Renault 5 Turbo
No update as such, only put stickers on the new headlights but rain has stopped any work on the car :( I'm thinking of selling the custom inlet soon so feel free to PM me for details. I'll put a full sale thread up as and when I come to that position, they will be replaced by some new parts ;)

Really........ BBWAAAARRRRPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Car is looking good! So your going down the ITB route then? ;) it's the best way!

The new headlights will make the front end look pretty mean!! :)

Did you book the Oulton trackday which I am on?

RB 182
I'm booking it on Monday, still having issues with the idle so hoping to sort that mid week.

A few pics from today...

DSC_00072_zpsc8bfcf1b.gif

DSC_0006_zps75c47ad8.gif