ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Meg f1 detail - what a fooking nightmare. (56k . . . pfffft)

Porsche Boxster987S
Right , here it goes. Finally found the time this week to do my own car. From the inspections of the car under lighting i could tell it was in a bad way. However , i under-estimated JUST how SHOCKING it actually was.

I decided to get a second pair of hands on this one with me ( a mate whos becoming a keen detailing enthusiast) and i think hes learned a lot as have i from this today:dead:.

Anyway , arrived at his house just after 9am with the car looking like this :

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

No pics of the washing stage but it got the usual pre rinse down followed by the 2BM with mitt but this time chemical citrus shampoo which i liked. Still prefer duragloss though;).
Once washed and dried we rolled it into the garage (smaller one as his 2 car garage was full:eek:) and it was inspection time.

This is what we were up against. These were most definitly car wash brush scratches and i was quite literally 'feeling' my swirls'.:dapprove: I struggled with the cam to show just how bad it was but here you go :

DSC_0007-3.jpg

NOTICE THE LETTER 'S' ETHCED INTO THE PAINT HERE FROM THE FORECOURT STICKER FROM WHEN NEW
DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0010-2.jpg

After going around the car with autoglym tar remover i then went onto claying using megs quick detailing clay and spray as i didnt expect that much contamination due to it doing 16k miles. There was what i expected.

Clay after Bonnet
DSC_0011-2.jpg

Now the machine stage:dead: Using the kestral DA , menzerna IP and yellow LC pad i started a test patch at bottom of the bonnet. The 50/50s here are after 2 hits of IP.

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

TOP HALF NOT TOUCHED , BOTTOM HALF AFTER 2 HITS WITH IP
DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Switched to a new medium cut Chemical Guys hex pad which was awesome tbh
DSC_0016-2.jpg

results are on the left , untouched areas are where the strip light reflects
DSC_0018-2.jpg

Some more 50/50s (left side done with first stage)
DSC_0019-2.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

And what it looked like under LEDS , Looks great eh??? . . .
DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

erm . . . . . NO!!!!!!!!

Rolled it outside after using the IP only to find that the sratches were 80% gone but it was still swirled , probably due to the polish/ pad combo and not yet refined.

By this time i was starting to get pissed off. Ive done a few renos now and found every one of them a piece of piss to do. Couple passes with a medium abbrasive polish and then a finishing polish to refine. But this has stumped me today. At least 5 passes on the bonnet with the LC pad using menz intensive polish and i even went more agressive with a harder pad and more cutting CGs polish and it still gave around an 80%:( improvement. :S

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

I put it down to not yet being refined and working with a DA so i moved on to the side of the car.

50/50
DSC_0030-1.jpg

REFLECTION
DSC_0032-2.jpg

DSC_0031-1.jpg

Carried on up the full side of the car and then went over it all with a new chemical guys finishing polish followed by Cgs Glaze. I dont have any pics of this part as i wanted to push on to get as much done as possible.

I waxed the full side and bonnet with 2 layers of R222s (P21s). No dodo (hi jamie x:))

DSC_0034-3.jpg

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0035-4.jpg

DSC_0037-3.jpg

DSC_0038-3.jpg

DSC_0036-3.jpg

My mate starting on rear bumper
DSC_0039-3.jpg

I then took it back out for some natural light inspection and i was alot happier than the first time it hit the light of day. Scratches were minimum and will need wet sanding , but the overall finish looked nice and wet and the blue looked far deeper

DSC_0040-3.jpg

DSC_0041-2.jpg

DSC_0042-2.jpg

DSC_0043-3.jpg

Before it was time to shut up shop for the day i set about correcting the tailights as these too were 'humped'. Used CGs 778 and mirror glaze then followed by a layer of r222s

RIGHT HAND TAILLIGHT BEFORE:dead:

DSC_0044-3.jpg

DSC_0045-3.jpg

LEFT HAND TAILLIGHT AFTER:)

DSC_0046-3.jpg

DSC_0047-3.jpg

RIGHT HAND AFTER:)

DSC_0048-2.jpg

DSC_0049-3.jpg

We called it at that and will continue hopefully tomorrow. Roof and bumpers left and thats it. Back bumper will be off to detail the exhaust as will the wheels.

Tough one today and the hardest for me by far which is surprising as ive done audis , bmws , focus sts etc. But hey ho , got there in the end. By no means perfect but a massive improvement.

If you got this far thanks fro reading:)

Porsche Boxster987S
thats the wax being left to cure on the paint and it was buffed off by hand using a MF. I think for a DA polisher its as good as it will get but im now buying a rotary to cut the time back. The DA is fine for applying a glaze or finish but for te actual correction it struggled. I didnt realise just how much bigger the meg is than the clio and the small cable on the kestral really did do my head in.

Im taking the car up to dundee to see DaveKg from detailing world and ill spend the day with him doing the whole so i can learn more about wet sanding etc. Hes meant to be a detailing god so it should be good for me to watch him and get some tips and also to get a 90-100% correction.

cheers for the comments. Good/bad and constructive welcome

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
thats the wax being left to cure on the paint and it was buffed off by hand using a MF. I think for a DA polisher its as good as it will get but im now buying a rotary to cut the time back. The DA is fine for applying a glaze or finish but for te actual correction it struggled. I didnt realise just how much bigger the meg is than the clio and the small cable on the kestral really did do my head in.

Im taking the car up to dundee to see DaveKg from detailing world and ill spend the day with him doing the whole so i can learn more about wet sanding etc. Hes meant to be a detailing god so it should be good for me to watch him and get some tips and also to get a 90-100% correction.

cheers for the comments. Good/bad and constructive welcome

MARRA!!! As if your going to see Dave. Would love to spend a day with that dude to hone in my techniques :( Make sure you ask him LOADS of questions and post up your findings on here!!

Also, you wont believe how fast rotory is compared to DA. Fook me i was shocked. No longer spending 5 mins working a foot by foot area at a time. You could do a whole bonnet in 20 mins if you boosted. Never looked back since i bought mine. FYI i bought a kestrel SIM 180 - bit heavy - bit loud but value for money is spot on. If you have some moolah though id buy a makita or a chicago!

Awesome detail dude, pisses you off when you can't get it 100%... This is why i hate doing peoples cars at time as 50% of the time the paint is that f**ked there's no way you can get it up to scratch (ie perfect..better.. but not perfect) without a respray or some serious wetsanding (which i dont really like doing on other peoples car, only my own).

Any who. Good work :D. I'm also jealous of your car :( I need boost.
x

ST
Top work so far mate, sorry i've not been able to get over n give you a hand wi it, not had a day off since last week!!

Porsche Boxster987S
MARRA!!! As if your going to see Dave. Would love to spend a day with that dude to hone in my techniques :( Make sure you ask him LOADS of questions and post up your findings on here!!

Also, you wont believe how fast rotory is compared to DA. Fook me i was shocked. No longer spending 5 mins working a foot by foot area at a time. You could do a whole bonnet in 20 mins if you boosted. Never looked back since i bought mine. FYI i bought a kestrel SIM 180 - bit heavy - bit loud but value for money is spot on. If you have some moolah though id buy a makita or a chicago!

Awesome detail dude, pisses you off when you can't get it 100%... This is why i hate doing peoples cars at time as 50% of the time the paint is that f**ked there's no way you can get it up to scratch (ie perfect..better.. but not perfect) without a respray or some serious wetsanding (which i dont really like doing on other peoples car, only my own).

Any who. Good work :D. I'm also jealous of your car :( I need boost.
x

Thanks mate , i think the makita will be the next choice of weapon. Although the car is far better after the work im still not happy. Thats what i said to my mate yesterday , ive done a good amount of cars now and after all of them ive walked away really pleased. I dont know what the problem was with this yesterday but because im a perectionist and the car wasnt perfect i was/ am pissed off.

There will be a full thread on DW with the day with DaveKG which he will post up. ill do my own for Cliosport. x

Im in love with this car!

Top work fella

thanks mate

Top work so far mate, sorry i've not been able to get over n give you a hand wi it, not had a day off since last week!!

no worries man

Looking really good!

:)

Lou

Looking good Paul.

At least you have experienced how tough some cars paint can be on your own car and can learn from it!

Got my own Kestral now need to find the courage to use it :)

Looking great Paul, a lot of effort has gone in, very good results considering. Can't believe a; how bad the paint was and b; how much harder it was to get good results than the LY :S I tried my hand on Naith's meg, didn't find it too hard!

Thoughts on the R222? P21s went on my windows and lights x3 coats on Thurs, will post pics in a second (rest was treated to some more Onyx :))

Porsche Boxster987S
aye , it baffled me aswell jamie. Over on meganesport a couple more have mentioned having problems with the bonnet especially. P21s was pretty good to be fair. Easy to apply , took to the paint well and came off without too much hassle. Only gave it the one later including windows and lights because its going up to see the master DaveKG. His abilities are in a different league so im looking forward to learning from him. And yea , the paint was the worst ive seen on a car by far.:dead:

clio 182
wow looks really nice :)

amazing what difference can be made bet it took a good few hours, but looks like it was well worth it :D if only I could afford a megane f1 :eek: