ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 225 head on 172

thoughts and experience on this please. Talking with @windle about the least complicated d.i.y turbo job for my daily used cup. Aiming for the 270bhp mark. Hes put the whole 225 engine in his, and seems to think if the head fits onto my bottom half, then as long as we do the pistons, rods ect to the bottom this should work with a remap.

Anybody done this? Cant find any threads. We are aware the internals of the megane will work along with the clioturbo manifold, downpipe and a garret t28 but unsure what power to expect, i know the clio gearbox isnt as strong as the meganes but if i can keep the box in with an uprated clutch and not have to piss about with driveshafts and engine mounts it should be less to go wrong in the future, Surely the ecu mapped properly will boost properly?

Low boost conversion is safe but not enough power, and ive heard alot of high boost having constant niggles. Kinda lost.

Clio 172 ph2
Stuck on this situation too. Currently running 230 low boost on my 172. Wanting to up the boost and run around 270-280, i know that forge pistons are needed but rods are good for that power. So hoping if someone knows if megane 225 pistons will fit into f4r block? And do i know the f4rt rods or can i use the f4r ones.

The internals all fit, im told the pistons and rods are the same size. just thought itd be easier to get a 225 top end, rebuild it while the car is still being used then swap it over.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
It's been done years ago, there's a few things you need to be aware of though.

First off, the Clio has an idler pulley on the head as the water pump runs off the aux belt, the Meg water pump is run off the cam belt which acts as the idler pulley.So you will need to drill and tap an idler pulley into the 225 head.

Secondly the power delivery from the TD04 Turbo and small cams is brutal, your jc5 gearbox will be destroyed pretty quick if you use it with intent.

Thirdly it's tuning ceiling is pretty low, yes you'll get to 260/270 pretty easy but moving beyond that becomes expensive hence why most megs are stage 1 and that's it.

For me and quite a few others a long manifold and gt28 Turbo will give you a much better more gearbox friendly power band, also if you forge your engine that same logg manifold coupled with a gt2871 will give you a genuine 370bhp.

For me it's a no brainier, I'd take a forged Clio engine with OE cams and a logg manifold over an F4RT any day, look at the most powerful megs that have been done, all have done away with the Stock Turbo system and 225 cams.

Hey thanks, i think ill skip the head swap then. Im not looking to do more than 300bhp due to maintenance and runningproblems , So would putting the megane internals in the bottom end be ok to run high boost? instead off the forged ones as they are almost £1000. Im due belts in afew months so want to hit this all at the same time. How would the ecu deal with this, would like to avoid buying an omex. Thanks

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I think you would be OK with medium boost on the 225 internals, but I wouldn't risk full boost as the quality of the pistons seems inconsistent.

ECU wise EFI has a workable solution using the stock ecu, otherwise it's after market.