ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane coupe 2.0 F4R

2002 megane coupe
well hey all..i not so recently found out that the engine in my car is pretty much a heavily detuned 172/182 lump naturally detuned by renault. so after having a long chat with one of my very good mates i decided that the aim would be....swap a load of 182 parts onto my coupe. so the biggest differences between my engine and the RS clio is the exhaust manifold, ECU, inlet manifold, cams. as standard my car is pushing 140bhp so plans are to literally swap over a set of 182 cams, 182 exhaust manifold and try (long shot) fit a flowed 182 inlet manifold then finally custom map the car to see it to around the 170 - 180 bhp mark (fingers crossed).

So whats been done to the car so far?.....nothing much just cosmetic changes such as lowered 45mm, Ktec polished strut brace, 16" TD pro race 1.2's in gloss black.

to improve the car generally i have had fitted a clio 172 gearbox mount (eliminate play in the gearstick and cabin vibrations), Ktec drilled discs and EBC redstuff pads at the front with OEM reno discs at the rear with mintex pads.

pictures:

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Comments Welcome ! :)

Nice car. You should sign up here - www.renaultonline.net which is the former Megane Coupe owners club.

There is a chap on here who tried the same with his F4R engined Scenic and cannot get it working properly so be careful before you start doing any work, its not as easy as just replacing a few parts.

320d
The cylinder head is different too isnt it? If you've already got a 172 'box in there would it not be easier to just fit an engine from a 1*2 you can pick them up cheap off here from people breaking cars on here. Just an idea.

The cars got a lot of potential.

RB FF 182
Never knew you got a 2.0 in that shape, thought it was discontinued in the older coupes!

Everydays a school day! Good luck with your project! [might be easier and cheaper firing a 182 engine in there thought!]

2002 megane coupe
daveski mate i remember u. i used to be a CC member but after a hiccup and myself being slated over a £1 bung i was no longer a member. dont really fancy joining it since there are a few people on there i dont get on with at all lol. cheers tho. Yeh i know there will be problems. The easiest bit will be the exhaust manifold then its simply a matter of gettin powerflow to mate the manifold to my current system or just get a full custom jobby done. Cams should be a simple swap aswell but then the problem will be gettin the standard ECU to accept everything otherwise its an OMEX jobby lol. I am most likely not going to have a 182 inlet mani fitted as everything will have to be reshuffled which i dont fancy so it will be the 'easier' mods first.

2002 megane coupe
Brett not sure about the cylinder head...i know for a fact the compression ratio's differ between my car and the RS clio's as the clios is quite high no? i always thought the actual block was the same tho. i know they differ in pistons and rods aswell.

Gobsheene yer they actually have 2 different 2.0's for the ph2 coupes. Daveski has the IDE version and mines is the VVT version. both have the same bhp but IDE has better pickup IIRC.

engine swap is not on the cards as i really cba with it lol. too much effort. if i was to even bother with something that serious i would just keep my lump as its only on 40k then get a 172 low boost kit from ktec and have parts fabricated. but im hoping for atleast 170 ponies NA. if not....then forced induction it is.

I don't remember you, sorry! What was your username? Have you seen www.coupe-club.net? Scott set it up after the change to RO.net. He is a member on here too and still having trouble getting his 172 engined coupe to run. Unfortunately my IDE has been stripped and scrapped and I have a F7R now.

I would pm this chap http://www.cliosport.net/forum/member.php?54499-James23 he is the guy struggling to get his car to run with the mods you have mentioned. Might be worth getting some advice before you start. Good luck though, I hope you manage it.

2002 megane coupe
cheers pal.....i was Manny_C on the club. spoke with u rarely tho lol. yer scott emailed me the new club. i signed up but not said anything as of yet lol. yer scotts 172 has been causing him alot of trouble over the months. i was going to start a 172 conversion the same time as him on my old K4M coupe but i left that and thought turbo the 1.6 to 170bhp instead lol....never worked out as i bought the 2.0 u see above lol.

Its a very nice car. I was hoping Scott would have his finished by FCS but it wasn't to be.

Personally I don't think the engine conversion is worth it, would be much better off just buying a 172 especially as they're getting very cheap now.

2002 megane coupe
Yer spot on mate. Ph1 172s are cheap now. We will see what happens with mine tho. Either NA or turbo but will try NA route first. All i want it 170 -180 bhp which i think wud be possible NA but with forced induction i think i cud see the lump well into the 180 - 190bhp area depending on application. That wud be forged 172 internals from ktec tho. Which are costly enough lol. Cheers tho yer its a nice car..still have a few cosmetic things to do but all in good time ;)

BMW M135i
Will never make 170bhp i'm afriad, compression on a normal tune F4R is 9.1:1 and a 1*2 lump is 11.1:1. Plus everything else differing.

2002 megane coupe
Really? hmm Ok question...if ktec can turbo the rs clio lump on standard internals with the compression as it is...then surely with a 9:1 ratio my lump is already ripe for being turbo'd? Or are there other factors i am not considering?

to improve the car generally i have had fitted a clio 172 gearbox mount (eliminate play in the gearstick and cabin vibrations), Ktec drilled discs and EBC redstuff pads at the front with OEM reno discs at the rear with mintex pads.

Hi manny,

I was wondering which gearbox mount exactly you fitted and if you needed to adapt anything, because I have looked and the gearbox mounts I could find for the clio 172 won't officially fit the F4R megane coupe.
Anyway, I am very curious about this.

thank you in advance.