ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane gearbox in a Clio

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
imo slightly pointless , i would think the top speed will be reduce considerably.

have a word with Chip on here. he'll be able to tel you the short story of do or dont

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Pointless?! No :)

I find the ph1 box too long, although they seem spot on for running boost. And you can increase torque to the wheels in a few ways...engine tuning, gear ratios and a smaller rolling radius.

All I need to know is will it fit.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
That's a jb3 not a jc5.

Will fit no problem but your looking at different ratios. May even be better you never know

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
dont think it will bolt to the block would need a 1.8 or 2.0l box. also proberly find ratios are crap as its not for a sport.
if a 1.6 16v box fits a jb3 958 for an rsi hasthe same ratios as a ph2 172.

a phase 2 172/182 has a closer ratio box compared to a ph1 172.

would need to check if yours and the replacement box uses the speedo pick up from the box or ABS sensor.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
dont think it will bolt to the block would need a 1.8 or 2.0l box. also proberly find ratios are crap as its not for a sport.
if a 1.6 16v box fits a jb3 958 for an rsi hasthe same ratios as a ph2 172.

a phase 2 172/182 has a closer ratio box compared to a ph1 172.

would need to check if yours and the replacement box uses the speedo pick up from the box or ABS sensor.

Are the bell housing patterns not shared across a few engines? The ratios are great :)

Correct, they have the same ratios but a 4.06 vs a 3.89 final drive. The one I've linked has the same gear ratios but a 4.21 final drive.

That's what I've been trying to find out. I think its speedo drive which is what I want. It definitely takes the right clutch (non-hydraulic) 26 splines.

Just need to know if it'll bolt up to the block and mounts.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It will bolt up to the block yes. Mounts, the bottom now is right, and you should be able to use your current mount on the jb3.

jb3's didn't have the circlip cover either btw, so they're more likely to pop a circlip

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It will bolt up to the block yes. Mounts, the bottom now is right, and you should be able to use your current mount on the jb3.

jb3's didn't have the circlip cover either btw, so they're more likely to pop a circlip

Thanks for the info.

I was going to get a cheaper one than the one listed and have it rebuilt. Can the circlip be welded? I'm sure I've heard of that being done.

Bearing in mind I'll only be running about 180bhp. Maybe 210 in the long run.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it can be welded. Its just like the older jc5s. They only really pop if your wheel spinning a lot anyway iirc.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it can be welded. Its just like the older jc5s. They only really pop if your wheel spinning a lot anyway iirc.

Ok thanks :) Not a chance, did all that as a teenager :eek: and I don't do 1/4 mile; its all about the corners.

I may leave it as it is and see how it goes, rather than fork out on the rebuild and circlip welding.