ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metallic Screech on full lock - Crank Pulley??

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Bump.

I just thought I'd update this for everyone and for future reference.

It was a duff Tensoiner, less than 12mths old too so waiting on Renault to see where I stand regards replacement.

@Mbeau, well done;)

182FF - Land Rover
Interesting. Mines been silent since it had a real "hard time" on zero car duties, and I strongly suspect the tensioner as all else has been checked. You can't really check a stiff or sticking tensioner. All the above stories also make sense as to the screeching belt and "stopping" PAS pump pulley.
Certainly will change mine if it screeches again.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Back again and need some advice.

I am just off the phone to Renault and the car is getting looked at on Friday after much debate but anyway they said IF they find no fault they will charge us £100 for the pleasure.

Now my question is, the mechanic who told me it was 100% the tensioner has gone and 'fixed' it temporarily ie by unseizing it, will Renault be able to tell that it's faulty or will it show as no issues now??

I don't want to be facing a bill If the part comes back ok even though we know it wasn't right.

Thoughts?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Back again and need some advice.

I am just off the phone to Renault and the car is getting looked at on Friday after much debate but anyway they said IF they find no fault they will charge us £100 for the pleasure.

Now my question is, the mechanic who told me it was 100% the tensioner has gone and 'fixed' it temporarily ie by unseizing it, will Renault be able to tell that it's faulty or will it show as no issues now??

I don't want to be facing a bill If the part comes back ok even though we know it wasn't right.

Thoughts?
If it was me. I wouldn't bother taking it to Renault, just spend £77 and get a new aux belt kit fitted including tensioner.
No doubt they'll find something untoward and you'll end up paying £100 for the pleasure.
I've had 3 new tensioners I'm the last 5 years , they're renowned for breaking.

182FF - Land Rover
Mine has been "temporarily fixed" since it must have freed itself up since 1st Feb. All is running well now. Not a sound for two and a half months.

If yours (or mine) goes back to sticking, it would suggest that it would just mean the screeching would come back (i may be wrong here) and then I'd get it replaced then. Just the tensioner and belt kit

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
If it was me. I wouldn't bother taking it to Renault, just spend £77 and get a new aux belt kit fitted including tensioner.
No doubt they'll find something untoward and you'll end up paying £100 for the pleasure.
I've had 3 new tensioners I'm the last 5 years , they're renowned for breaking.

Yeah I did think about going this route tbh but when the mechanic said it was the tensioner and it being less than 12mths old it wound me up! i then realised it's French and it's a Renault so i shouldn't be surprised!

I expected RPD to just replace the part but that didn't happen, would have saved us all the hassle really.

Mine has been "temporarily fixed" since it must have freed itself up since 1st Feb. All is running well now. Not a sound for two and a half months.

If yours (or mine) goes back to sticking, it would suggest that it would just mean the screeching would come back (i may be wrong here) and then I'd get it replaced then. Just the tensioner and belt kit

Agree there, sounds like a good plan that.

I think you've twisted my arm lads, going to chance it for now - no doubt the thing will spew it's guts a week out of warranty!

Cheers lads