ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mgane R26.R Debuts at British Motor Show

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
To find out more, visit www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/meganer26r

Mégane R26.R Debuts at British Motor Show22/07/2008
meganer26r1.jpg
The wraps have come off Renaultsport’s latest extreme machine as the limited edition Mégane R26.R received its world premiere in London at the British International Motor Show.
Developed from Mégane Renaultsport R26 F1 Team 230, the car retains the same 2.0-litre engine, six-speed gearbox and sophisticated limited slip differential. A dramatic weight reduction of 123kg compared to the R26 makes it the best performance car in its class with a kerb weight of just 1,230kg. On 23rd June, Mégane R26.R set a new lap record time of 8min 17s around the famous Nurburgring circuit – the fastest ever for a front-wheel drive production car.
Another masterpiece from the Alpine Renault factory in Dieppe, Mégane R26.R continues Renault’s tradition of transferring technology from its motorsport interests to the road. It is probably the most extreme car ever produced by a volume manufacturer with a carbon-fibre bonnet and the glass in the tailgate and rear side windows replaced by polycarbonate, to help reduce the weight, while Sabelt seats with a carbon shell provide the ultimate racing feel.
A radical look is guaranteed thanks to brand new 18” alloy wheels in red, a rear spoiler and R26.R decals and logos. Personalise your car with a choice of seven colours, including the brand new Renault i.d. Pearlescent White. Two existing Renault colours join the Mégane Renaultsport range with Racing Blue (from Clio Renaultsport 197) and Renault i.d. Lunar Grey (from Clio Renaultsport V6 255) available on R26.R.
Weight reduction is achieved by the removal of rear seats and belts, the radio, passenger and curtain airbags, climate control (air conditioning remains as standard), the rear wash/wipe, front fog lamps, headlamp washers and most of the soundproofing. In reaction to these changes, the springs, dampers and lower arm bushes have been modified to ensure maximum performance from the new lightweight car. The drilled discs from the R26 have been replaced by grooved discs that provide even greater resistance to fade.
Mégane R26.R retains the same engine and gearbox as R26 but incorporates a new short-shift gear lever for quicker gear changes.
meganer26r2.jpg
Owners can choose an even more extreme specification by choosing a roll cage and Toyo Proxes 888 tyres and a lightweight titanium exhaust. Other options available are a black finish to the alloy wheels instead of the standard red, climate control and deletion of the decals.
Only 450 will be produced between October 2008 and March 2009. Mégane R26.R will be sold in just five countries with the largest number, 230 of them, for the UK, each with an individual numbered plate. The car will be produced on the Mégane Renaultsport production line with the final finishing and short shift gear lever added in the competition workshop. Performance tests show the car will reach 60mph from standing in 5.9 seconds, while achieving a combined consumption of 33.2mpg with emissions of 199g/km.
Mégane R26.R is expected to be priced at around £23,000 (to be confirmed) with additional options as follows:

Roll cage and Toyo Proxes 888 tyres£700Black Alloy Wheels£150Climate control £460Decal deletionNo CostMetallic paint£375Renault i.d. Glacier White£150Renault i.d. Pearlescent White, Lunar Grey or Liquid Yellow£1,200Titanium exhaustTBCAll prices to be confirmed.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
WOW!!

My options list: Pearlescent White, Black wheels, Cage and Titanium Exhaust.

Which colour though? The 'in the metal' shots don't look quite as good as the mock-ups, imo, still awesome though. A few look a little awkward with carbon bonnet, white still seems to work well though.

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/meganer26r/imagegallery.asp

White with red wheels and decals for me, no point being subtle with a car like that. Liquid Yellow doesn't quite seem to work in the metal with the carbon bonnet, particuarly for £1200 extra!

imagegallery10.jpg

Black on Black with no decals looks menacing, though...

imagegallery31.jpg

LY V6 with Recaros
Ooh, they're doing in in Racing Blue, want to see tha! Look forward to seeing this at the weekend.

Think it's a love or hate thing, personally I love it. Simply no volume car makers doing anything like this, I thought the 172 Cup was the last time we would see a genuinely lightened car, I was wrong, deleted airbags ftw!

I seriously bought a lotto ticket after seeing this, as unfortunately it costs significantly more than I earn!

Stripped out standard car with polycarbs and a bucket seat for 3K more!!!!!!

Crazy talk.

I'n guessing Carbon bonnet, Sabelt carbon backed seats, shortshift and polycarb windows would cost a few quid if you did it yourself, not to mention new springs and grooved discs. Assuming most people would add the cage, £700 for a professionally fitted cage and Toya R888s isn't bad.

Last edited:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
imagegallery2.jpg

i'd want this one tbh.

fooking sexy... but too much for me in all honesty. can't be chewing into my house fund!!!

182 ff with cup pack's
im starting to think if i saw a test mule of this at the ring way back in easter there was an r26 that was trallered to the track and was striped out and was quick just ask, ad or ben_p they both saw it will try to find some pic's

imagegallery2.jpg

i'd want this one tbh.

fooking sexy... but too much for me in all honesty. can't be chewing into my house fund!!!
Sorry, it does nothing for me at all, esp in that colour combo. To me it looks like a kid thought up the colour scheme.

And the cf bonnets look cheap & plain wrong on them.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i just like it as it looks 80's in that guise :cool: but thats just me! :D

An option to have the bonnet painted would have made sense, only thing I'm unsure of. Would be interested in more of the colours if it wasn't for the contrasting bonnet.

Just read that it will be a limited to a run of 450. No climate control either as it seems.

Yup...

- 230 for the UK
- 126 for France
- 26 for Spain
- 26 for Spain
- 26 for Germany

Still has aircon though as the engine was only ever designed with it, would have cost too much to remove it.

Ad

MK2 FRS
im starting to think if i saw a test mule of this at the ring way back in easter there was an r26 that was trallered to the track and was striped out and was quick just ask, ad or ben_p they both saw it will try to find some pic's

hadnt really thought of that... and it did break down too didnt it! lol