ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Milano red Accord Type R detail

172 Cup
Hello everyone!

I was contacted by a guy off a Honda forum which my brother uses about detailing his Accord Type R.

After popping round to see the car a week or two ago Paul explained that he had not owned it for very long, I could see that it had not been cared for at all by its previous owners and was going to need a lot of attention to get it back to looking respectable!
So the car was dropped off bright and early last weekend for work to begin, pics upon arrival:

Picture443.jpg

Picture433.jpg

Picture441.jpg

Picture429.jpg

All the usual swirling, RDS, etching’s and fade you would normally expect of a car of this age to have then.

We got cracking with the washing stages, wheels soaked in Valet pro Bilberry Wheel cleaner:

Picture444.jpg

Arches sprayed with Megs APC:

Picture446.jpg

Body work and panel gaps sprayed with Valet Pro Orange pre wash:

Picture445.jpg

We left this to dwell for a minute or two then foamed the car with Valet pro PH neutral Snow Foam:

Picture447.jpg

While this was dwelling the intricate gaps, badges, rubbers and other areas were cleaned:

Picture449.jpg

Picture450.jpg

Picture451.jpg

Then the wheels, callipers and tyres were attended to:

Picture454.jpg

Picture452.jpg

Picture453.jpg

Onto the shuts, before:

Picture431.jpg

After:

Picture413.jpg

Finally the car was then fully rinsed:

Picture455.jpg

After we had dried the car we taped up the necessary areas and began claying the paint with a soft - medium grade clay, to my amazement there wasn’t that much contamination coming off the car! Clay after the bonnet:

Picture457.jpg

What we were up against:

Picture434.jpg

The paint was then assessed and we could see that a lot of the car had been re sprayed at some point. The paint seemed quite hard sp with this in mind we tested the water with 3M Extra fine, on a yellow 3M pad via rotary, which seemed to give us the results we were after (baring in mind this was an enhancement detail not a full correction) so most of the car was covered with this stage although some areas required 3M fast cut plus using on them again with a yellow 3M pad via rotary. Small area’s/panels were done with the Megs DA polisher but the same pad/compound combo.

Quick pic:

Picture426.jpg

DA lake county Spot pad after use:

Picture436.jpg

The whole car was then refined using 3M Ultrafina on Blue 3M pads.

Next we looked at the head lights which were in a very bad way and ideally needed wet sanding but we didn’t have the time to do this so we did the best we could, before:

Picture468.jpg

50/50 one headlight finished:

Picture430.jpg

Picture428.jpg

Once the same process had been carried out on the other headlight we took the tape of the car, snow foamed it again to remove any dust, rinsed it down and dried it. Beading just after the machine polishing :) :

Picture437.jpg

We decided to use a combo of Dodo Juice products on the car:

Picture460.jpg

Orange crush to bring out the warmth in the paint, banana armour to give it a nice shine and reflection and the red mist for area’s such as the door shuts etc.

Whilst this was being applied I took care of the tail pipes:

Picture421.jpg

Trusty AG metal polish, one tail pipe before:

Picture408.jpg

After:

Picture420.jpg

Process repeated on the other side.

Moving the attention to the alloys they were then Give a polish with SRP, followed by two coats of Poor Boys Wheel Sealant with the tyres dressed using Megs Endurance Gel…

Remember before:

Picture429.jpg

After:

Picture410.jpg

Picture414.jpg

Last but not least the glass was cleaned inside and outside using AG glass polish followed by AG fast glass.

Once the wax had a little while to cure it was buffed off, and the interior up next.
All mats were removed and vacuumed, the seat were vacuumed as were all of the carpet areas. The interior plastics such as the dash & its components, door cards etc were cleaned with AG Interior Foam. We finished the interior by putting in a new Magic tree in :).

Interior afters:

Picture472.jpg

Picture458-1.jpg

Picture471.jpg

Finished shots before collection:

Rear lip before:

Picture435.jpg

After:

Picture422.jpg

Picture419.jpg

Roof after:

Picture464.jpg

Picture427.jpg

Rear door before:

Picture424.jpg

After:

Picture470.jpg

The rest:

Picture411.jpg

Picture461.jpg

Picture418.jpg

Picture416.jpg

Picture467.jpg

Number of hours taken; 15-16

A very testing detail this one but thoroughly enjoyed doing it and learnt a lot from it. I know Paul was very happy with the car, as were we.

Thanks for looking, comments & questions welcome :)

P.s you may have to slide the thing along at the bottom of this post to see the rest of the pics...i still dont know how to re size them :eek:

172 Cup
looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shame his brake discs are on in the wrong direction tho !! :)

Thanks, and well spotted i spent all that time with the car and never noticed that lol!

Nice detail there!! Make sure it gets waxed regular or you will be on it again before you know it ;)

Cheers mate, well ive recommended him some cleaning bits so its down to him to keep on top of it but i think he will ;)

Good work, nice write up too.

Why thank you :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks great mate Extra fine was never a polish I got on with that much but I do like FC+ and UF.

Good job though mate, the 2 waxes were maybe a little overkill! :eek:

172 Cup
Very nice mate, really like accords

Ta very much pal

Looks great mate Extra fine was never a polish I got on with that much but I do like FC+ and UF.

Good job though mate, the 2 waxes were maybe a little overkill! :eek:

Funny you say that dude because until recently i never got on well with extra fine...it always seemed to 'cling' to the paint and generally be a pain in the a*se to work with but ive recently found a new love for it.

As for the waxes i agree with you tbh and i wouldnt normally use both but i thought i would experiment lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's what it's all about.

Oh a little tip, pop some UF in with the extra fine if you have any, it extends the work time to give some more bit from EF. EF and FC can dry and finish up a little quick UF extends the work time. :)

172 Cup
Ahh i see, cheers for the tip good sir i will certainly give that a try! ;)

Yes they are bremtec disks that was what paul (the owner) said they were aswel...turns out they are the right way lol

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That's quite awesome... You make red look absolutely amazing from what I've seen!
I still need mine doing :dapprove: I think I'll wait till its finished before i get it done I think

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't mean to sound picky, but if I'd just paid someone to 'detail' my car, I'd be expecting the backs of the wheels to be cleaned and the arches cleaned and dressed.

Picture410.jpg

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
15-16hrs and you couldn't find time to wed-sand the lights! It's a 30min job max (Not rushing)

Decent work overall.

172 Cup
Looks great. Red cars really show the effort you put in well.

Thanks dude!

Looks spot on. Red looks really nice when its in this condition.

Dan

Cheers!

That's quite awesome... You make red look absolutely amazing from what I've seen!
I still need mine doing :dapprove: I think I'll wait till its finished before i get it done I think

Ta mate, just get in touch if you ever want it doing when the time comes dude ;)

I don't mean to sound picky, but if I'd just paid someone to 'detail' my car, I'd be expecting the backs of the wheels to be cleaned and the arches cleaned and dressed.

Well i could have done that...but then the owner didnt want to pay slightly extra for it...there fore it didnt get done ;)

15-16hrs and you couldn't find time to wed-sand the lights! It's a 30min job max (Not rushing)

Decent work overall.

Cheers. When i am confident of my ability to wet sand then i will, i have not tried my hand at it yet so did not want to go down that road during this detail.