ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mini Cooper S R53

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Bought this last week. It was local. A bit over priced but managed to get home down a fair bit to do a deal. Never liked new minis really. But the supercharged R53 is the only one I’ve contemplated owning over the years. I’ve always found minis way overpriced but these are cheap now.

5cbee04d90769ed9df497300dacb2616.png

673bf35b78a172bae4e1f4576a6d6399.png

ce1254077510260acfadd8619dccc626.png

32ccb58e1516c6287e3487a9a30115b4.png

It’s at my mates house. He is going to detail it and bring the body work up to scratch. So far I’ve just swapped the exhaust over and sold on this monstrosity.

dba906b30a5413eede83da31027a0bb7.jpg

Luckily the original style exhaust came with the car. Now so much nicer to drive.

I’ve also bought some new tyres. Black circles had a deal on 4 Michelin PS4’s for £280 delivered. I’m going to paint the wheels silver and get the good tyres on next. The aircon needs a re gas as well. I’ll updates as I go along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
change the big end shells on it as a precaution. I got stung with an r53 that i bought as a fixer upper lasted me 4 days before it started knocking its very very common fault

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
change the big end shells on it as a precaution. I got stung with an r53 that i bought as a fixer upper lasted me 4 days before it started knocking its very very common fault

Interesting. Never heard of them being bad for it. Suppose any car can have the big ends go. Depends how it’s been looked after as well.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
r53 bearings are like chocolate, if the oil has been run slightly low then it chews them up and as they are guilty of using oil theres every possiblity of it.

the bearing's are actually not that bad to change you dont need to take the front end off if you take the dogbone mount off it lets the engine swing back enough to get the bolts for the ac or alternator(i cant remember which) and pop the sump off

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
any thats not chocolate 🤣🤣 factory replacement are fine. be rude not to fit a smaller pulley while you've got the charger off

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Looks nice and a great colour ha ha. Loads of info in my Mini thread on bearings etc I didnt do it myself but had a lot of work done including clutch,bearings,seals,supercharger service etc etc soon mounts up in £££

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
if you're handy with a spanner they're actually not too bad to work on, once you take the front end off theres not bad access to most things

Would be interested in driving impressions vs a Clio 1x2. Similar money to buy now. MINI is 200 kgs heavier but can be easily tuned to 200+ bhp.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Would be interested in driving impressions vs a Clio 1x2. Similar money to buy now. MINI is 200 kgs heavier but can be easily tuned to 200+ bhp.

Very different to drive. The mini is initially dominated by the lower driving position and the tiny windscreen.

I don’t think there is much in it power wise. They both feel quick. The mini also is quite good in the corners but not quite as good as the clio. Mini has better interior and gear change in the mini is much better than the clio. A lot of R53s come with an LSD from the factory which is good.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I’ve not even looked at 17% reduced charger pulleys, r56 big brakes, miltek exhausts, coilovers or anything like that. [emoji23]

Exactly all the bits I have on mine 🤑 makes the car a lot more fun... just about to sell mine, but I'll definitely miss the sounds from the supercharger and Milltek.

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I’ve not even looked at 17% reduced charger pulleys, r56 big brakes, miltek exhausts, coilovers or anything like that. [emoji23]

Looks like you’ve got yourself a lovely example there [emoji1303]

That’s what I said about mine “oh I’ll just leave it standard”... and I’ve completed all of that list and more [emoji23]. Waiting for the tracks to open so I can enjoy it for what I’ve built it for lol.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Made a good start on the mechanicals of this last night.

Just a full service plus a supercharger service.

9fda514abcd4bdd38c37e2a0f3a710c3.jpg

542b80211d8835036e95a6d0cf656b3c.jpg

Also the aircon isn’t working but that’s because the radiator fan is siezed.

6e3439bf17d9e204fe1315167f60dc8d.jpg

Should all be going back together today or tomorrow. Then back to the garage in Airdrie to get the regas done again for free.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

I test drove one years ago when I had my 172 the mini was 12 months old then it felt a fair it slower than my 172tbh better build quality thou🤣

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I test drove one years ago when I had my 172 the mini was 12 months old then it felt a fair it slower than my 172tbh better build quality thou[emoji1787]

I would agree with that.

I actually just bought a road going 182 for a wee project so can make a better comparison now. What is very obvious that similar size / similar power cars they have totally different character. The clio is definitely a bit yobbish / chav. Great drive though. The mini is definitely a bit more refined and up market. I like both but for different reasons.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted a new water pump while it was all apart.
02ce7ac8c93bc9e0876ba75e5fbbd4e0.jpg

Car is back together now. Will give it a wash at the weekend and take some pictures.

Also had a go at refurbishing the headlights. There was some sticky mess on the drivers side (from a European trip maybe?)

3c4c2bb745b89013eef4e3416e62fb2e.jpg

I got most of it off. Still a small amount left but will give the whole car a wash and see how they look.

d92a8b128c822f5aacf4823593d64077.jpg

I also baked a carrot cake (2nd picture off to the right [emoji23])

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
A few issues to deal with.

1) I had a few lacquer runs and dry spots. I’m going to flat then back with some 600-1000 grit and might have to do another lacquer coat.

2) I gave my brother the wheels to fit the tyres. I’m glad I don’t this before getting them perfect. Apparently they were a pig to get on and he has marked a few wee bits.

I’ll mask up the tyres and get them perfect over the next week.

ea1d0d7bab8a30014a7ee5da6503f60f.jpg

d164f6eadbaa2c0940b6500f285a4a6a.jpg

60ec5b38c6aaba61cbe06cc5044d564d.jpg

08a5a278041506b3687d817497f39cb3.jpg