ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mis firing when cold

Evo
Help needed for a problem i cant locate.

clio 1.4 2003. When started with a cold engine in this weather it ticks over at 600rpm'ish with a shocking misfire. Will occassionally fail to keep itself running and stall, at which point will require a good 20 seconds of cranking before it fires back up.

If you hold the revs at 2000rpm for a minute or so and allow it idle it will drop to 1400rpm and be fine, once warmed up no faults whatsoever.

Fault code has picked up zero faults and spark plugs appear in good condition/normal colouring. Reoccuring fault getting more and more common.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Take the coil packs off the plugs, dry them off, apply WD40 to top of plugs and inside coil packs. Refit.

If problem persists change TDC sensor or it could possibly be the Throttle body

Renault used to fit SAGEM coil packs to there 16v engines and these have a reputation for going wrong. They used the DENSO coil packs on later models and these seem to work much better.

As the engine is ticking over lift each coil pack off the plug one at a time. When each one is removed the engine tone / revs should decrease. When you remove the faulty one the engine tone / revs will stay the same

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Wouldnt explain why it only happens when cold though???

New update, black smoke when the fault occurs???? :dead:

Black smoke is unburnt fuel passing through the system ( not igniting due to plug not delivering a spark )

Laguna sport tourer
yeap defo coil pack if you get the beru ones or denso they are both good, i brough a set of 4 on my 1.4 clio just to know it would't happen again. also unipart do some made by fuel parts which are actually beru but cheaper

Evo
yeap defo coil pack if you get the beru ones or denso they are both good, i brough a set of 4 on my 1.4 clio just to know it would't happen again. also unipart do some made by fuel parts which are actually beru but cheaper

I suspected it was the coilpack because they were replaced 20,000miles ago when one failed before.

But why does it only happen when its cold???