ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire/knocking? Coil pack/leads done, still doing it.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Morning CS,

Since I bought my Clio back in November it had a slight misfire - nothing massive and being that it's getting on a bit I just put it down to age (partially) and left it at that.

It has since gotten progressively worse, so I had it put on a fault code reader and it came back as a multiple misfire. Not a problem - replace the coil pack and leads and it'll fix it, I was told. (I should add - this is a private garage, not Renault or anything like that). While it did up my MPG from around 46 over a tank to 50 over a tank, it didn't fix the constant misfiring and jerky acceleration particularly at low speed/revs.

I was recommended to whack a couple of tanks of the good stuff through so I stuck 3 tanks of Super Duper V-Power+ Money Drainer (or whatever Shell call it these days :smile:) and it made no difference. It's run on Shell fuel anyway, just usually not the very expensive stuff (and never on supermarket fuel - I know it's not proven to be any worse etc but worth pointing out). I should add I do drive like a proper old man (hence 50mpg) as at work the less fuel we use, the more money we make (Domino's driver).

I've bought a bottle of redex and started to put it through, and while the regularity of the misfire hasn't changed, it doesn't seem to be as jerky although it's definitely still there although in all fairness I've only used about 6 litres of fuel since I put it in, so it remains to be seen how that changes. I filled up last night and then did 100 miles or so at work and gave it a good thrashing for a change rather than my usual change up at 2k revs, not really exceeding 55mph, gentle acceleration, that sort of thing. Currently doing 42mpg though :frowning: :cool:

But yeah, sorry for the wall of text. Just getting a bit sick of sitting at traffic lights looking like I'm driving a space hopper! :tongueclosed:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Injectors are just as common on these as coils and dodgy plugs. It can also be electrical on that Sagem ECU.

You really want to start with a proper diagnostic session, not a code read. There is a huge difference and people in general never seem to know what it is.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Injectors are just as common on these as coils and dodgy plugs. It can also be electrical on that Sagem ECU.

You really want to start with a proper diagnostic session, not a code read. There is a huge difference and people in general never seem to know what it is.

Ah, I'll be honest - I didn't realise there was a difference either! 😊 Will have to find somewhere with a proper diagnostic machine then, that preferably isn't Renault!

A set of injectors can't be more than having it put on a diagnostic machine anyway so I'll probably change those first anyway.