ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK Indy R1 - Kit Car Project Thread

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Westfield SEI-W are best for the larger person.

Just added my little R1 sticker.

445e0cfd.jpg

86a309fe.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Is it a car or a bike?

Last edited by a moderator:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I've broked it....

It now magically turns the ignition off when I select first. Its like totally awesome!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Then it tried to freeze me to death...

416877_10150580258012579_503097578_9112649_1711877521_n.jpg

The ignition would turn off when I selected a gear, then it snowed, I was 10 miles from home! Que waiting 40 mins in the snow to be towed home, by my father who set off before I put my helmet on, so my head froze.... a lot.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I traced the problem down to a relay which I swapped with another one off another bike

Al7ppTUCAAAYoem.jpg

In case it dies again I've left it somewhere easy to get to....

Al7quP1CQAASQwo.jpg

It runs better than even now, having a dying relay in the ignition circuit really makes a difference it seems!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
The next job will be to fit the gear indicator I bought months ago, so I'll do an update on that soon.

As for using it in winter: I've used it every weekend nearly since I got it. Although 888's in sub zero temps really do not work and it'll spin the rears all the time. Thermals and a helmet are a must too!

Listerine & Poledo
Still thinking, given 15k, a westfield-alike or Smartuki.

Unfortunatly, this is still fantastical as I'll most likely only have the funds for a decent MX-5

Ph2 Clio 172
Dam this thread.

Got me thinking I could max a couple of credit cards and buy some track day lols!

Would need to go on a diet and somehow shrink by a few inches first though...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Are you allowed private plates on Q plates Steve?

Sadly not, unless you build it out of either 85% of parts from a doner car, in that car it gets its doner car number place. Or if 90% of the parts are brand new, in that case you get a new plate. (This statement is hugely simplified)

Q is the simplest way to go though!

Q plates are for when the age of the original vehicle cannot be identified.

Single donor cars (where one car is used for majority of parts) get an age related plate based on age of donor.

New registrations must be all new parts with the allowance for any single part (engine, diff etc) to be refurbished to an as new standard.

Buy a fully built car from a manufacturer and it will have a new plate.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Tonight's work

Borrowed another jack and axle stands because they matched my car lol

946f97b7.jpg

Fitted the tax disc, since I've not had one on it for 8 months.....

d4bb77ba.jpg

Fitted the gear indicator, just needs tuning to the car now, hence the axle stands so I can run it in the garage!

4fe9c861.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Tiny update

f3e751bb.jpg

Oil catch tank, since the breather didn't go anywhere!

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
like it mate,but you should try the r1 engine were it belongs,in the legendary r1:cool:
ive had 5 of the buggers,but my fave was my original 98 carbd bike,much better than
the later fuel inj ones,more brutal and more soul.

we did cadwell regular and the hayabusa engined kit cars got a fair lick on!
closest thrill to actualy riding a superbike on the road,but i can recommend anyone doing their bike test,
nothing short of a fighter jet comes close.

Ph2 Clio 172
Don't want a bike engined one, or one with a pinto. After a zetec/ duratec engined one

Every time I have toyed with the idea of buying one of these, this is the conclusion I have come to. Pinto's are just to old now, and while a bike engine would be amazing, they seem to require a lot more time, money and effort to keep running in tip top condition.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'll sell it!

Bike engines surpass any road engine. And I used to hate them!

Get an MNR vortx mx5 based one, epic little cars!

Or buy a cheap unfinished one and have it finessed to your spec for cheap!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I've been told by the guru of all things kit car, i am not allowed a bike engined one or a robin hood, had an offer of a decent of for 6k but my budget is 5

This thing is mental, can't believe how well it goes. Ridiculous.

Only two pics from me, as I was enjoying the drive and after setting my camera up on a mount, the power of the car was destabilising it, so the shots were guff.

6981915091_e80a3d1b1d_z.jpg

MK Indy R1 by feirny, on Flickr

6981913391_f4f2f3173e_z.jpg

MK Indy R1 by feirny, on Flickr

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
What's the vid like Greg? Can you stick it on the tube of you?

It was good to see you again. We need to have a few beers and watch a cadwell session at some point!

What's the vid like Greg? Can you stick it on the tube of you?

It was good to see you again. We need to have a few beers and watch a cadwell session at some point!

Was good to see you as well mate, we can sort something out.

Not even looked at the vid yet, but I'll have a look tomorrow.