ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK Indy R1 - Kit Car Project Thread

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Having only an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6 Diesel as a company car wasn't really getting my pulse going very much, so I set about looking for something fun for the weekends. I initially looked at reasonably new Exige S' but the idea of paying £300 a month for something i'd do about 4k a year in wasn't very appealing.
It was at that point the OH said why don't you get another kit car. So i set about Pistonheads like we all do haha.

It turned up this car about 10 miles from me! I went and tried it twice and then sorted out a deal for the car and all the extra parts he had laying about.

Spec off the advert:

2002 R1 5JJ Engine (running on carbs - rolling road tuned by Bogg Brothers)
TTS Performance air filter
MK 4-2-1 stainless steel exhaust system
CNC cut aluminium sump baffle fitted
R1 fuel pump with MK aluminium baffled fuel tank
Venair high temperature silicone water hoses
Powder coated chassis, wishbones and suspension arms
3:62 diff (also have a 3.91 spare)
Disk brakes front, drums rear
Protech fully adjustable front and rear suspension
Fully adjustable front top wishbones (made by wozsher from Locostbuilders)
7x15" Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 limited edition alloys (gloss black with polished rim)
Toyo Proxes R888's 195/50/15's all-round
MK Fibreglass Dashboard
R1 bike clocks with Speedo healer
Aluminium savage switches, Durite fuel gauge
Fibreglass Aeroscreen
OMP Superquadro steering wheel, OMP Alloy gearknob
MK GRP seats (drivers seat with adjustable seat runner)
MK Fibreglass Boot tray (lots of useable space) with custom made leather boot cover
Sabelt Harnesses
Aluminium footplate in passenger side

Along with the photo's from it, as I've not took any better ones!

3127587-1.jpg

3127587-3.jpg

3127587-5.jpg

3127587-7.jpg

3127587-8.jpg

First impressions over the last 300 miles:
As I've always said, bike engined cars are a t**t to drive normally. The gearbox and clutch is not suited to normal road driving at all! The clutch has around 2" of movement and pulling away is a chore. The gearbox itself is massively clunky, and some times can play silly buggers with you...
But..... get it on the right road and nothing comes close, I've never driven anything as fun in my life, it will do insane speeds around bends you'd only dream of doing 40mph round, its honestly mind bending. The engine is a beauty, pulls from 2000rpm right to 12000rpm.
0-60 is around 4 seconds, 0-100 is around 9 seconds, top speed is governed by the limiter in 6th at around 120mph - although its painfully windy once over 80mph. Acceleration on the move isn't as blistering but I think it'd give an M3 a run for its money.

Weighted it on the scales at work and its 487kg wet.

So in this thread i'll keep track of the bits and bats I do to it. So far I've changed the coolant and renewed a few gaskets.

Next job is to fit this:

IMG_03331.jpg

So I can actually tell when gear I'm in and stop me going for 7th and hitting neutral a lot.

Next jobs will be, new brake fluid and an engine/gearbox oil change.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I gave £7k for it Dan.

Its 2 years old and has 2k on it.

340i
Looks super clean, but with 2K on it I wouldn't expect anything else!

As said insane fun when the right circumstances present themselves... one of my friends use to a GSXR1000 kit car, he was always complaining about the clutch / gearbox LOL.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks awesome mate! Lol at the GF suggesting it, mine doesn't even know what a kit car is.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Haha

My OH is into cars. Although she had a job getting her head around the fact the gears go 1st-Neutral-2nd-3rd-4th-5th-6th lol

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol! I'd struggle with that tbf!

Thinking of getting mine an mx5 when she finishes uni, it's a good excuse for me wanting one anyway.

BMW M5 & E36
Saw this on PH just before you put the other thread up saying you'd bought it. I like!

Half tempted by something similar myself. Is insurance typically cheap?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Saw this on PH just before you put the other thread up saying you'd bought it. I like!

Half tempted by something similar myself. Is insurance typically cheap?

£400 fully comp limited to 5k mile with agreed value of £8k.

So pretty good value then really. I bet it would cost a very experienced home mechanic about £12k to build one??

I've got bills for £8k inc kit and engine. It took him 400 hours to build as he was a bit of a perfectionist!

e91 330d/type r mini
awesome, always fancied something like this for the weekend, can see me changing the mini for something like this in the near future.

CBR1K, F21 125D
10W 40 in a busa engine? is that what they take?

(im am italian biker)

I always use 15W 50 in mine.

And the last Hi-flo oil filter I bought didnt seat right and seeped. OE on Suzuki is better.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I like that, i envy you having a hack and a toy. :(

This might be a stupid question but do you wear a helmet when driving it? Also whats it like mpg wise?

Where did the £300 for an Exige S come from? With a depo put down?

Like the look of it. Wouldn't mind something like this soon as the S3 is pointless in London.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
10W 40 in a busa engine? is that what they take?

(im am italian biker)

I always use 15W 50 in mine.

And the last Hi-flo oil filter I bought didnt seat right and seeped. OE on Suzuki is better.

10w40 is recommended in the Yamaha R1 hand book.

I like that, i envy you having a hack and a toy. :(

This might be a stupid question but do you wear a helmet when driving it? Also whats it like mpg wise?

I just wear sunglasses. Wearing a helmet does stop you getting hit by grit/bees et al.

Where did the £300 for an Exige S come from? With a depo put down?

Like the look of it. Wouldn't mind something like this soon as the S3 is pointless in London.

£28k Exige with £12k down.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Nice one! Bet it sounds great!

£400 for insurance?! My westfield only costs me £135.I do live in the sticks though!

Dave

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I live in the sticks too. I guess I'm high risk only being 23.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Not bad for 23...That was what I am at 26 (when I took out policy) so above the all important 25!

Car looks great. I looked at an r1 mk when I first started looking at options.Nice bit of kit and nice and light!

Certainly one of the better options available!

Enjoy!

Dave

Skeeter, mks aren't too bad on space. Mnr are pretty good for that as well as are luego.

Proper jealous waitey, I've still got 12months till I can get mine :(