ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 1.2 Mod

Clio mk1 rally :P
hey
ive seen alot of people mocking peoples attempts at moding their clios

and just wandering what in all your opinions is a no no in terms of modding

ive got a blue 1.2 (phase 3) i think... i dont know what the phases are :p

thanks (ill post pics when car is clean)

clio 172 exclusive n
id personally just keep it subtle mate not over the top , smooth not lairy :) thsts what i like about the 172/182/197 not to lairy but quite sporty looking

i personally dont like huge f**k off loud exhausts on a tiny engine car that roars even if its doing 20mph but some people love it, and i think some body kits are just silly/ugly but then the next person will love it

i do think you can get some really nice body kits though that just look sporty and enhance the car rather then turn it into a ugly beast

its all about personal taste at the end of the day , some people will allways hate it , others will love it , be bloody boring othewise though wouldnt it :)

its your car mate go with what you like just do some research 1st

thanks

yeah i dont like big exausts either
are there any cheap ways of improving performance?
i know i might need neew air filter because the car judders quite a bit

We seem to be a dying breed, lol. I have a '96 mk1.2, and am determined to make it the best mk1 that ever existed anywhere. The mk1 was a beautiful car, complimented by timeless continental lines and unsurpassed modability.

Of all the places I ask for advice, I'm sorry to say this forum is mixed. I get some quality advice from time to time, but too often I hear people saying that any upgrade 'is a waste of time / money'.

I bought my mk1 last year for £900 (great body, 64,000 miles) and have spent about the same again in mods. It looks and drives great, with alloys, lowered body, stripped interior, bucket seats and careful mods. Insurance is £19 / month with only 1 yr no claims. MOT last week was £128 inc £50 test fee, retest, new rear drums and bearings and new fog switch.

Subtlety is the key with mk1s. Papa and Nicole would not approve of anything gareish. Respect the subtle cuteness that sets it apart. I've left almost all the exterior alone but fited chrome and leather upgrades inside for around £150.

The 60bhp is disappointing, but I can't wait to fit a 172 engine before my insurance renewal. >200bhp with a superlight body will finalise my cherub as an individually chic, sporty, hugely enjoyable sleeper that will stand apart from the masses for 25% cost of a new car.

If only I could get more help here. It can take days of bumps to get a conclusive answer I'm afraid. And I don't think its because people don't know the answer - they just don't think its worth it for a 12 year old car. I asked a question about putting HID lights in a mk1 this week and got this response from a long-term '90% helpful' member called Alan:
"Snore... Its NOT that big a deal mate really.."

You will find a lot of losers on this forum, but eventually its worth traipsing though 8 s**t posts to find 1 good answer.

Last edited:
hah thanks
do u have any pics of ur car?
i got some lexus lights for mine yesterday (£15 off ebay = BARGAIN)
but lots of people dont like them.. in think it looks quite nice.

img onna be doing the interior. maybe some lighting. and replacing all the faded and damaged plastic bits :)

i got mine from a friend for £500 with 35 000 miles. he never used it :p

Last edited:
  ValverInBits
gabriel -
Do you not think that fitting a 172 engine to a Mk1 perhaps isnt a great idea insurance wise. As you can just buy a 172 and the insurance will be less.
I know that it's the cheaper option (insurance not considered) but it's also not an easy one. I'm interested to know you opinion. I think a 172 engine in a Mk1 could be a really good laugh, but if it was me, i'd start with a 1.8 16v shell or a williams rolling shell to get the best handling possible from the light mk1 range.

sorry dangermike, I've never been a fan of lexus lights. I spose if i were trying to make my car standout then I'd want it to be an F430 or a weapon like an ariel atom or perhaps a vee. But then again, i'd never fit lexus lights to any of those either.

Insurance with 172 = £480 tpft with Adrian Fux, 2 yr NCB, 32 y/o

Yeah, I don't like Lexus lights on early Clios either. Bit too modern for my liking but each to his own. The originals suit the mk1s perfectly imho, but alas can't use HIDs : (
£15 unbelievable price tho!
And £500 with 35k, damn! Paid nearly double with twice the millage for mine!

No pix of my car yet, still a work in progress.

yeah i had the feeling people didnt like lexus lights :p
but i dunno im still deciding
i might get bored of them after awhile :)

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
My mark 1 phase 3. I have done subtle mods, lowered, RSi skirts (still to be put on). Splitter always looks good, but mine already came with one standard.

Silverbulbs for indicators make a huge difference and make it look quite nice.

Modding the phase 3 is slightly harder as its a 1.2L with the Washer bottle and fusebox messing up the idea of a CAF from that location.
Otherwise a good car i think.

haha yeah i think i might have to get some rsi stuff
but dont people get annoyed when you make ur 1.2 rn look like a rsi or williams?

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
haha yeah i think i might have to get some rsi stuff
but dont people get annoyed when you make ur 1.2 rn look like a rsi or williams?

Im not trying to imitate an RSi or a Williams. Plus the fact my car is Capisum red. The RSi skirts im going to put on are only to enhance the looks of my car, i would never actually try hide the fact its a 1.2 ever. Its a car to start with in the world and im not racing or trying it on, its a 1.2. No matter what you do to a car, resellablity is where im aiming for, sell my car better than i bought it. Nothing with Max Power mods or spoilers the size of my ironing board thank you.

clio1.6 16v
mk1's rock. ive had my mk1 clio 1.4 a year now and its never let me down. £250 from a dodgy little garage in leeds, i took a chance and never regretted it. got some nice 15's on with a back box and a KnN. Gettin it lowered next week. :D

mk4 golf gttdi180
mk 1s are a money maker and can be a money looser .
i brought a r reg 1.4 rt in mtblack it had a knackaerd engine but some nice fox racing alloys sorta like turinis and it had a cherry bomb i put a new engine in and motd it that brought it up to 600 then i put 4 new tyres on it 6months tax and flogged it for 1100 only drove it about a week but loved it all the time i drove it

Rb 182
I love them, had 4 now. Cant get enough of them!!

Im also on the look out for a cheapish valver at the moment.

See here for my WIP Ph3

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3712984#post3712984

Heres also a quick pic of my turbo, now being built for full time track duties :)

100_1448.jpg

yeah i like that colour!
still deciding on what alloys. thinking of getting proper renault alloys so dont have to pay extra on insurance :)

im looking our for side skirts. if i get them will i have to do some thing to the bumbers to even it out?

Rb 182
yeah i like that colour!
still deciding on what alloys. thinking of getting proper renault alloys so dont have to pay extra on insurance :)

im looking our for side skirts. if i get them will i have to do some thing to the bumbers to even it out?

Get reno wheels, look ace retro fitted on the clio.

its 172 wheels on the blue on

and megane wheels on the green shed.

My side skirts will be up for sale soon ;)

umm i dont know about a Decat.... i dont want it too loud haha
and i cant afford the extra insurance :p
im definatly getting a new airfilter. :)

lol

on other note... how do you colour code the bumbers and mirrors? do u have to buy new ones? or just paint? (yes im a car noob :p)

mk1 clio
Best bet for a ph3 is to change it to a ph1 front end...lower it 60mm on 13" or 14" wheels and have some fun in the twisties like i did :D