ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 1.8 16v with 172 conversion!!

535d / t5 caravelle
so how long did this conversion take you to do pal? very good 1/4 mile time too, what was your terminal speed and what mods has it?

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
Hi Here is the spec

f4r736 2.0l 16v "52"
inlet mk2 ph1
manual cable throttle pot (1.8 16v cable)
laguna tps
std rail
laguna breather plate onto rocker cover inlet blanced underneath
exhaust std st/st manifold
20s gti flange on down pipe
home made 2 3/4 down pipe
both lambdos fifted
scorpion straight through system
renault safarane alt
renault safarane alt brackets
mk2 ph1 loom unpicked reshaped
mk2 ph1 ecu "decode" and pined up to 1.8 16v car loom
mk2 ph1 ecu group n remap,(dont know what it revs too!) (done by torion tuning 07722288844)
172 flywheel
172 cps crank pos sens
172 cluch cover plate "beanng and release arm"
s**t lauguna box with highest ratio 100mph in 3rd gear at pod
1.8 16v driveshafts
manual rack 1.2 mk ph1
182 top maunt
std gearbox mount
custom rear mount lengthered and polybushed
fse pressure regulaton "3 bar"
172 fusebox cover
rewired fan and switch "removed ac reasons" runs constent

Theres probarly other stuff but cant remember took me 1 month to do and was not expensive paid £250 for the engine with 14000 mile ecu remap and decoded £200 inc vat from chris at total tuning apart from the inlet and that proberly owes me £800 at the min!
180 bhp for £800 is cheap enough and the mos agresive power curve to match good fun.
when it comes on cam just sounds the nuts (1 week old and 1 took it down pod)
managed a 14.01 at 100.01 with full leather and tools in the boot and 16in wheels on road tyres.
I must b able to break 13s and no (REV COUNTER) still got to get it dynoed but should be intresting was going to throttle body it with a set of 45mm jenvgs and enerald ecu but was all too expensive at the time and iwas gagging to drive it!
maybe in the future if i can try and save up!! i@ll be at the next R W Y B at pod got williams box for it, fitting it today so hopefully all goes well, hopefully see a couple more about.
Had a run in with a vanquish at pod he had me by 0.20 and i was 0.10 quicker than a carrara whitch for a couple hundred quid under a grand is good going i think !!
Hope you like the car any question, queres no problem
Wayne
P.s any RRday coming up

535d / t5 caravelle
well done fella, all in all..............RESULT! like you say pound for pound, thats fooking good going!

Tungy
Guys. Do you think a mk1 with 172 conversion would fetch its value up to more than with a willy engine as it's rare, modern day reliability and would fetch interest?

Guys. Do you think a mk1 with 172 conversion would fetch its value up to more than with a willy engine as it's rare, modern day reliability and would fetch interest?
With the amount of tweaked and 'non-standard' parts on that list, I don't think many people would pay top dollar for a converted willy/valver, simply because it would be a nightmare to fix and, IMO, things that are non-standard generally go wrong more than a drop-in and play conversion.

If the conversion like the above could be done for £800 in parts then I am indeed tempted though... lol

I was thinking that, and more room is a definite plus point lol

Seems that this conversion is wayyy cheaper than doing a VAG 1.8T conversion? Though I would like Turbo power :(

clio 172,astra 1.6, rs125
interesting, are you using the 172 gearbox? i didnt think this mounted on the standard mount?

"s**t lauguna box with highest ratio 100mph in 3rd gear at pod"

"got williams box for it, fitting it today so hopefully all goes well"

182, SQ7, Trafic
Thought of this conversion just over a year ago and finally got round to it couple weeks ago!

I have a 1.2 Prima in the garage at the moment with half the engine ripped off!

Originally putting it in a Valver shell but am waiting for the right one!

The car I have at the moment is stripped out and will be running standalone engine management, more than likely Omex. If you have any contacts with a loom, and decoded ecu that owuld be great and save me money :D

Currently going to be using the 1.2 gearbox as i hear that it should fit and ratios will be amazing lol! Pity it will be blown up very soon though lol!

Hoping to have it ready for FCS!

Should hopefully have the engine in tomorrow night and then will post pics!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
but willy lumps fetch between £500 and £700 and then will probably need rebuilding this lad has got a low mileage engine and it owes him £800 fitted,your not gonna get a willy lump upto 180 bhp for £800

54 astravan 1.7tdci
well nice,some decent cars on here at the moment.at lot cooler than changing the colour of your badges.

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
yeah hopefully get a bmc induction kit for it was just tempory and new alternator aint even cleaned it yet thanks for all the replys cant get on that often did have a williams the bloke i bought it off spent a fortune on it with bbpt it was 163 bhp and it wernt know where near as exciting as this just too expensive on ins just because it was a williams and too exspensive to tune after the basics but did love it .only done the conversion because i got the engine offered to me cheap or wouldve stuck with what i had . glad i didnt though its just alot more reliable power now sayin that pressure washed it today now its got a miss lol

Last edited:
thats why the quater is so low, dont need to snatch 4th, will be interesting to see what it does with willy box, i expect my williams engine to be 155-160 bhp, its done 14.1 stripped and is standard.

535d / t5 caravelle
thats why the quater is so low, dont need to snatch 4th, will be interesting to see what it does with willy box, i expect my williams engine to be 155-160 bhp, its done 14.1 stripped and is standard.

sounds like the perfect grudge match;)