ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 172 ECU on MK2

Hi guys, as some of you know, a new engine will be fitted to my 172 soon. The point is, the engine has come from Netherlands and from a 2002 model RS i.e., little bit different engine as far as I know. The point is, will I be able to use my MK1 172s superchipped ECU, or will the car not start at all?? Any ideas?? If it doesnt start, any advice??

No this will not fit. There are two kinds of Chips one for mk1 and one for mk2. The inlet and TB changed.

Why you need new 172 engine ??

if you reuse your MK2 inlet and exhaust system then you should be able to.

only the twin lambda. FBW and electric systems are diff for teh MK2 ECU.....engine is teh same.

BenR always has the solution I already have Supersprint de-cat with 1 lambda, so I will use the current exhaust system then. I will also swap my inlet manifold with the new engines one.

BTW, I think the inlet in MK2s are a little bit smaller than MK1 ones, is that true, and if so why is that, shouldnt it have a negative effect?

tonykart, I need a new engine and my insurance will pay for it so the choice of the engine is not up to me unfortunately, if it was, I would choose a brand new engine surely. The guys found a second hand engine, which turned out to be a 2002 model one (I havent seen the new engine yet though, hopefully on Tuesday).

Cheers guys to you both (y)

CTR EK9 turbo

i think someone posted in the general forum about them not being able to use a second hand Rsport ecu as the immobiliser code was different? - something to do with the original car it was put on saved the code onto the ecu and its unique to the first car or something. But hmmm, i guess your car is the same car, so forget i just said that.........sorry!

The Mk2 engine has the same performance as the mk1. the only difference is that the mk1 is bad at idle. it searches....so we call it. the Mk2 has a changed inlet and other TB better idle rpm not much of a difference in output power.

cheers

i say the idle at cold start on the MK2 is worse due to EURO 3 legislations.

But if you slap on all your MK1 leccy bits onto the new engine (which is the same minus the leccy bits) then you will be fine.