ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 172 vs ZR160

i got a stock mark 1 172 sport. four years old with 27k miles on it. my mate is buying a second hand mg zr think its three years old with 49k on it. its the 160bhp edition and has de cat and a K n N filter on it. just seein what people would say who would win. found a specification site on the zr160 says its 0-60 time is 7.4 what do people reckon would win?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Win what? A beauty contest?

As for performance Id guess they would be closely matched. Probably more likely to be separated by the driver than the car.

Quote: Originally posted by Rick on 11 July 2005

Win what? A beauty contest?

As for performance Id guess they would be closely matched. Probably more likely to be separated by the driver than the car.

now your just been silly. we all no a mk1 172 is th best looking out of the two ;) just meant in a straight line or around a track. just wanna make sure im right before he says owt.

172 so long as the driver does mess up.

The Zrs supposed to handle very well but the 172 will still be better IMO. However a poorly skilled driver will loose any advanatge the 172 has.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

straight line speed, i think the driver would have to seperate them. any car with 1 sec diffrerence to 60mph will be a close call! mk1 would win though:D

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 11 July 2005
Ive murdered all the ZRs that Ive come across.

Same here, frequently!

Driver is normal up close to the wheel and a few inches from the screen!

Ex Ph-Quick

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 11 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 11 July 2005

Ive murdered all the ZRs that Ive come across.

Same here, frequently!

Driver is normal up close to the wheel and a few inches from the screen!

Same

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 11 July 2005

straight line speed, i think the driver would have to seperate them. any car with 1 sec diffrerence to 60mph will be a close call! mk1 would win though:D
chances are the race will start above 60mph tho, so the 172 should pound it...

VaVa

Theres not that much in it. The 172 will be faster, but if youve been murdering ZRs theyve either been the diesel or the 105!!

Meggy cabriolet

Tho i have a 172, I drive a ZR 160 everyday too, I would say they are fairly well matched, cant say I notice a vast amount of diference between then....its all down to the driver!

cheers thought id ask before i argued back i was pretty sure the 172 would easily win but now im very confident if he wants to get proven wrong think il propose a track day :D

megane coupe F7R

Im sorry guys but a zr160 is valver pace and a 172 would beat it like it beats a valver. Not by alot but it would win.

Quote: Originally posted by Girl_Racer on 12 July 2005

Tho i have a 172, I drive a ZR 160 everyday too, I would say they are fairly well matched, cant say I notice a vast amount of diference between then....its all down to the driver!
surely you would notice almost a second difference 0-60 and even more 0-100? I know these are only paper figures, but 172s are fun to have a blast with up the motorway... ZRs are a waste of petrol...

I had a play with one of these in my 182Cup. Up to 60 it was reasonable but I was smiling, and after 70 it was game over rover. As easy meat as a Cooper S.

Elise/VX220/R26

a mate of mine used to have one, my mk2 172 was faster but not by much. Were talking like a car length over about a 1/4 mile Id say. The 160 ZR and ZF trophys are the ones to watch out for. Know your enemy!

Meggy cabriolet

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 12 July 2005

a mate of mine used to have one, my mk2 172 was faster but not by much. Were talking like a car length over about a 1/4 mile Id say. The 160 ZR and ZF trophys are the ones to watch out for. Know your enemy!
Whats a ZF Trophy??? I MGs and Rovers, cant say ive heard of one of them!

FordFocus

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 11 July 2005

172, the 160s engine is dull and doesnt like to rev much
thats complete b****cks the vvc engine loves to rev, and has very good torque across the entire rev range, very good engine in an ageing chassis.

172 all the way though, 172 has more power, less weight and handles better.

Mark

is the 160s engine the Rover K series?

I had a MGF VVC 1.8...I think around 160 bhp. Was a good engine to drive...similar to 182 ...but my passengers (and I agree) feel that the 182 has that little bit more muscle.

If it is the K series engine, you also have the very real threat of a Head Gasket Failure. Just go on the mg rover org forum for more info on that.

have to say, evry zr driver i have come across has only seen the rear end of my car, the 105s simply because my car was faster, and the only 160 i come across (quite frequently) always bounces off his rev limiter 4 or 5 times before changing gear, so i beat him to :D