ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio Help and Newbie Intro :P

Hiya!

Im Ally, im 18 and i live in South Wales (originally from Swindon) Ive just bought a bog standard M reg 1.2 8v mk1 Clio (see pics below)

Few questions (a few silly ones as well!!)

What offset can i get for my alloys, and also whats the biggest alloy i can get onto my car without losing the majority of my steering power and suspension?

If i de-badge will it damage the car? (i read about this ins the exterior styling guide, still wanted to ask just to be safe lol!!!)

Also, what mods can i do to start me off? I dont really intend to spend loads on this car, was planning on a nice set of alloys, backbox and exaust etc

Comments and suggestions welcome :D

Oh yeh this is me -

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/2598/ally.jpg

and this is my car -

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/2772/allys_clio.jpg

Quote: Originally posted by Ally_mk1 on 09 February 2005

Hiya!

Im Ally, im 18 and i live in South Wales (originally from Swindon) Ive just bought a bog standard M reg 1.2 8v mk1 Clio (see pics below)

i still live in Swindon :cry:

Few questions (a few silly ones as well!!)

What offset can i get for my alloys, and also whats the biggest alloy i can get onto my car without losing the majority of my steering power and suspension?

most clios are about ET37 IIRC you want to stick to 15/16" wheels or it will look stupid and drive terribly.

If i de-badge will it damage the car? (i read about this ins the exterior styling guide, still wanted to ask just to be safe lol!!!)

as long as you dont take a blade to the paintwork you will be ok however some badges are held in by pins on the back of the badge and removing them will leave holes visible. If they are stuck on get a hairdryer out and warm the badges up until you can gently prize it off then use adhesive remover to clean any remaining badge tape off the panel.

Also, what mods can i do to start me off? I dont really intend to spend loads on this car, was planning on a nice set of alloys, backbox and exaust etc

Best to lower, colourcode the bumpers and bump strips and get some alloys. As for exhaust i would say go for something subtle looking rather than a huge 5" jap beancan or one of these quad exit custom effort people seem to insist on fitting at the moment.

Comments and suggestions welcome :D

A silver Honda

Welcome Ally:)

My first mods would be to lower the car on some nice 15" or 16" alloys.

15s shouldnt effect the steering and the handling would be better. 16s looks better but effect acceleration and you might have do some arch mods to fit them.

Try to get alloys with an offset between ET 36-40 and wheel no wider than 7".

Id lower it about 40mm if you just want springs. For a 55-60mm drop id get a fully uprated suspension kit.

A nice 3½" backbox would look smart too.

Loony -

How do i tell wether they are stuck on, and also how will i know if its going to leave holes? :(

Im having my mirrors, bumpers and rub strips colour coded atm :p

Id like twin 3" oval exaust, or just a single 3" with backbox, does any one have piccies of these on a mk1?

Oli -

so 36 - 40, which size would be preferable for my car? I dont want any scrubbage when im driving lol and i dont fancy doing any arch mods, but agreed 16s will look better than 15s so im abit confused about which ones to get lol

Thanks guys :p

Vee dub

I have 15s on my mk 1 1.2 Oasis :)

With 195/45/15 tyres.

15s are a really good size wheel in my opinion.

Good luck with the choosing

Tom

300bhp MR2 Turbo

15s go on easily when its lowered with no mods and no rubbing. I used to have 17s on my mk1 RT but they rubbed like Sinbad and a magic lamp.

As for an exhaust go for a nice 3" piper stainless steel one. (Inward rolled)

How are your black bits being colour coded? Are they treating it with plastic stuff so you end up with a smooth finish?

Not sure about the badges, I had my bonnet done to remove the Renault Diamond and it looked very nice. That had to be filled regardless of holes though.

Welcome to ClioSport - be warned you will prob be hounded as soon as people catch on your a girl. (Like wolves on here!)

Loony -

How do i tell wether they are stuck on, and also how will i know if its going to leave holes? :(

if you notice the badge wobbles or moves a bit when you wash it or if you get hold of it with your fingers and try to move it then its normally a pretty good indication it has pins in it. if its stuck solid and wont budge its normally badgetaped on. Might be worth asking your local dealers parts dept if the badges are stuck or pinned on on your model/year as they seem to change depending on age.

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 09 February 2005

15s go on easily when its lowered with no mods and no rubbing. I used to have 17s on my mk1 RT but they rubbed like Sinbad and a magic lamp.

As for an exhaust go for a nice 3" piper stainless steel one. (Inward rolled)

How are your black bits being colour coded? Are they treating it with plastic stuff so you end up with a smooth finish?

Not sure about the badges, I had my bonnet done to remove the Renault Diamond and it looked very nice. That had to be filled regardless of holes though.

Welcome to ClioSport - be warned you will prob be hounded as soon as people catch on your a girl. (Like wolves on here!)

lol, hmmm hounded, not too sure about that!

As far as im aware they are being primed and sprayed to match the rest of the car so yeh, will be nice and smooth :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 09 February 2005

Loony -

if you notice the badge wobbles or moves a bit when you wash it or if you get hold of it with your fingers and try to move it then its normally a pretty good indication it has pins in it. if its stuck solid and wont budge its normally badgetaped on. Might be worth asking your local dealers parts dept if the badges are stuck or pinned on on your model/year as they seem to change depending on age.

Think ill get the boyfriend to do it lol

What about interior spraying? Im thinking about removing the dash and spraying it black, but thats gunna be a big job so im not too sure! Have any of you sprayed your interior parts, eg steering wheel surround etc?

Pics if possible as well please (y)

or you could replace the whole lower boot trim with the phase (was it phase 1s that had the badges on the metalwork not on the strip?) that has no holes in it. i would go for 15s personally too with 195.45.15 tyres not 195.50.15s that you get with alot of package deals as it will be less likely to rub with the lower profile when you lower the car.

or you could replace the whole lower boot trim with the phase (was it phase 1s that had the badges on the metalwork not on the strip?) that has no holes in it. i would go for 15s personally too with 195.45.15 tyres not 195.50.15s that you get with alot of package deals as it will be less likely to rub with the lower profile when you lower the car.
I like these -

http://www.potn.com/images/imoztitan.jpg

Like these -

http://www.potn.com/images/imalessiomonza.jpg

There are so many to choose from!!!

And these - (the 100+ phantoms)

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/779/im000014.jpg

[Edited by Ally_mk1 on 09 February 2005 at 3:27pm]

depends what type you want. i think most of the guys with Mk1s get the ibiza splitters from seat and modify them to fit.

eek, i just wanted one i could put on there lol, do you know of anywhere that sells them ready to put on?

Ive been looking on the internet and havent been able to find much

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Hey!

Just seen the thread. Welcome to cliosport...

Titans look mint on clios but then again so do multispokes!

I had 7 spokes on my valver which looked quite mint but they were 17s so maybe wouldnt look as good if smaller.

<A target=_blank href= "http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1084177529__MVC-005X.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1084177529__MVC-005X.jpg

I reckon freebones RT looks mint on his 16" multis mind! Ill dig out a pic...

To bad about living in wales though! ;)

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Phase 1s had the badge on the strip so replacing with a phase 2 de-badges it.

Phase 2s have the badges on the actual tail gate so not so lucky.

Welcome! i agree with darth, 3 1/2 is gonna be the best size, apart from that loony answered pretty much everything lol hes a greedy bugger.

Quote: Originally posted by Tom20v on 09 February 2005

Hey!

Just seen the thread. Welcome to cliosport...

Titans look mint on clios but then again so do multispokes!

I had 7 spokes on my valver which looked quite mint but they were 17s so maybe wouldnt look as good if smaller.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1084177529__MVC-005X.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1084177529__MVC-005X.jpg

I reckon freebones RT looks mint on his 16" multis mind! Ill dig out a pic...

To bad about living in wales though! ;)
Those alloys in that piccy are nice, how much arch modification did you have to do to get them on tidy?

Im not welsh, im english, i live with my boyfriend who is welsh. Was a bit of a sh*tter with the rugby lol!!!

How ever, sheep shagging aside i find his accent very sexy :oops:

Watch out for our resident welsh gangsta rapper Daipac, hell bust a cap in yo ass. Dont tell anyone but hes on a mission to hunt down and Kill the GLC for shaming welsh rude boys everywhere ;)

Quote: Originally posted by jimmy_mac on 09 February 2005

Welcome! i agree with darth, 3 1/2 is gonna be the best size, apart from that loony answered pretty much everything lol hes a greedy bugger.

suck me kimmy, you know you love it.

you and Dan the bandit decided if you are coming to get lashed on the 5th yet ?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Its was a 16v which have slightly bigger arches so i didnt need any mods to get them on there. You should be able to get them in 16s on yours with no probs though....

As for exhausts i just had a 3" single round magnex on mine which looked nice. Big exhaust just look wrong on clios if you ask me.

Will probably end up with 16s, i think white or highly polished silver would look nice ...

Would like tints as well lol, the more i think about the more i want :(

Im getting really annoyed with the 1 post per 3 minute thing, i keep typing a long reply .... clicking post reply then i get the message .... then go back and i have to type it all again :mad:

Argh! lol!

The Beast MK4

Im getting really annoyed with the 1 post per 3 minute thing, i keep typing a long reply .... clicking post reply then i get the message .... then go back and i have to type it all again :mad:

Argh! lol!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Argh! lol!
Pay yer fiver then! ;)