ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio's.................. :(

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
My dream is nearly over!

Had the williams 2 months and nearly spent as much on it as the car is worth.

Yes they look awsum and yes they handle beta than the RS.

But when your constantly thinking, whats going to break next...it's not particularly reassuring!

Anyway new gearbox needed if anyone has one! I managed to pick up most of mine from the main road last nite! Got lots of cogs for sale if anyone wants a table coaster. ha

To keep or not to keep...

Ali

159518608_m.gif

oh dear oh dear

106 GTi
This is why I got shot of my 205 GTI, loved the car but it always needed attention. Money pits.

CS Dungeon
Keep it fella, when there running sweet there hard pushed to be beaten on looks, handling and go

I prefer mine over my old Mk1 172 and 182

Ali, here's a hint, for most parts DONT buy new, only things that you need to buy new are drive shafts and service items, anything expensive go 2nd hand. I made the mistake of buying new thinking it would never go again... not so, your better buying 2nd hand and getting more replacement bits for your money. They are awesome cars and soo much more fun and involving to drive than the 1*2's, handle better, look better and imo go better too.
Keep if you can afford to and run as a spare car, but just get things sorted bit by bit before you start driving it full on.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Try and keep it going if you can mate, but as you say, they're expensive to maintain to the condition that we expect of them as enthusiasts.

Old cars = old technology = more things going wrong more often. :(

CS Dungeon
Try and keep it going if you can mate, but as you say, they're expensive to maintain to the condition that we expect of them as enthusiasts.

Old cars = old technology = more things going wrong more often. :(

I had more problems with my Mk1 172 then I have with either my Hybrid or my Williams so not true

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
Had the williams 2 months and nearly spent as much on it as the car is worth.

Most owners will spend x number of times more than the car is worth to keep it in tip top condition and on the road mate. Its not normally a consideration lol. If you want a car that wont cost nothing to run best get it advertised asap.

Ali, is a Megane box any good to you? it's brand new and will fit using a 172 mount iirc. Ratios are the same, bar having a longer 1st.

S2000
Thats partly why I'm selling the 16v. The crap thing about the 16v/williams is just the weakness of the gearboxes imo. They just seem to go pop all the time. A 172 box will fit, but you would need to fit an electronic speedo iirc. If you are going to replace it I would personally replace it with a willy box as they are a bit stronger than the valver boxes.

williams and trophy
shitter for ya mate.

flan had a box for sale.

think the valver boxes brand new are 400 ish.willy boxes 600 ish

most ppl seem to think the boxes are fragile. the way i abuse mine, id sy they hold up pretty well.iv trashed vw, audi, vauxhall and bl/austin/morris boxes far sooner than the willy boxes

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Hummm...She left on the wrecker last time. Out of the 750miles i've done in her. she's spent just shy of 500 on the bak of a recovery lorry! haha

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
lol..! Next year RAC will fone me and go! Sorry we're revoking ur breakdown cover! haha

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
lol..! Next year RAC will fone me and go! Sorry we're revoking ur breakdown cover! haha

Funny you should say that lol

I used up 5 call outs with the AA and 2 with the RAC in a little over a year.:eek:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ali for the fun they are worth it...

we had a breakfast run down here on saturday....we went through a place called cheddar gorge........it really is perfect for the clios......when we got to the bottom we parked up and one of the 182 owners hoped in with me.....(markliquid182).....he was amazed and said how much better it felt than his mark 2.....

touchwood so far mine has been good to me.....you can't have much more to replace now anyway to have a mint / reliable car......

think you need to speak to Tucks also..he is in the same situation

use first call for breakdown, £40 and includes home start, they are excellent.

as for the Williams... get it off the road and get it on diagnostics and someone that really knows the cars to give it an overhaul and replace whatever needs replacing, it will save you money in the long run... or you will have a folder book like mine... lol

Silver 172 Ph1
It happens with all cars bugger it its the curse of driving hard and having fun. I've got to have a new gearbox for my 172 s**t happens. Just the keying on the door im pissed about.

sold my williams box,...

just keep the mk1. why is it everyone seams to buy crap ones. i have had 4valvers and not broke1. you lot are animals. granted one did have a VAG box..lol

just fit a secondhand williams box, won't cost you much if you get one off the forum guys to fit it. (like me) there are a few things that go wrong but so do all cars, think is the clio is sooooooooooooo simply and garuented if you break something someone on here will have done it before or be able to help. ;)

Flan