ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Ph3 1.2 speakers

Mk1 Ph3
Hi,

I've just passed my test today and so want some speakers for it. I was thinking 6 x 9s but everyone seems to be against them, I'm open to other options. However, there are no speakers in the front door as standard but there are 5 1/2 inch speakers in the front as you may know already.

Just wondering what opinions people have on what I should get as I have a low budget of £50. I've bought a sub (1500w/500wRMS Fli Trap Twin 10" Active) so it has a built in amp already, should I get a separate amp or just use that one instead?

Thanks in advance,
Milo :)

UR 197
Hi,

I've just passed my test today and so want some speakers for it. I was thinking 6 x 9s but everyone seems to be against them, I'm open to other options. However, there are no speakers in the front door as standard but there are 5 1/2 inch speakers in the front as you may know already.

Just wondering what opinions people have on what I should get as I have a low budget of £50. I've bought a sub (1500w/500wRMS Fli Trap Twin 10" Active) so it has a built in amp already, should I get a separate amp or just use that one instead?

Thanks in advance,
Milo :)

hey Milo, 6X9s will add to the bass but all the sound quality will be at the back of your car, so limited quality at front, if you want a good system for £50 id get good doors and forget the 6X9s for when you have more money to spend, then you have bass from the sub and treble front.

Mk1 Ph3
There's no space for doors really :( Normally there's a bit that sticks out on the door card to allow the magnet to fit behind but in the MK1 there isn't one, it's just a flat surface. Was thinking about either finding some different door cards or just getting some new 5 1/2 " fronts instead.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
1. personally i wouldnt go for 6x9, they will pull the soundstage toward the back of the car, and they look horrendously chavy!
2. i really wouldnt use 6x9 in the parcel shelf alongside a sub in the boot. The sub will interfere with the cones on the 6x9 as theyre in the same airspace, and ruin the sound quality.

As said, just fit some speakers to the front door cars. the skin will allow for a 13cm circle to be cut in and the magnets will not interfere.
and if they do, make a 13cm disc from MDF wood and use it to space the speakers out! then put tweeters in the dash and you're bopping!!

enjoy your new licence dude!
but be careful! lol

Mk1 Ph3
The thing is though, 6x9s are way louder compared to 5.25" speakers and that's something I'm aiming for. I'm tempted to invest in some 6x9s and a set of front speakers as well, but it's my first car so I don't really see the point in spending a lot of money on something I'm only really going to replace.

Cheers man :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
6x9s are no louder,
it just depends what brand of speaker you go for,
some make more noise than others.

in most cases, the speakers that are "really loud" lack sound quality.

perhaps components upfront,
and coaxials in the rear door cards??

6x9s lack a lot of sound quality most of the time, and the sound is ruined by having a sub in the boot.
and you are that bit further away from the speakers.

you say you dont want to buy something youre only going to replace.
but trust me,
after a year, you will want to buy a fresh uncut shelf and bin the 6x9s,
especially if you stay on this website! lol

id put my clio on it!

Mk1 Ph3
Sounds like a good idea actually! I think the only reason I wanted 6x9s is because I didn't think I could fit speakers in the front door cards so needed some loud enough to hear clear in the front :)
The idea of putting coaxials in the rear door cards is pretty good!

Still not sure where I can place them in the rear door cards though, I'll have to have a look tomorrow to get a better idea. I'm all for putting in components upfront and coaxials in the back, just gotta find a place to put them though :)