ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 1.5dci or 1.4 16v?

Renault Clio
Hi I want to buy a clio mk2 with either the 1.5dci engine or 1.4 16v. I can’t find any comparison sites or videos online. Is there ups and downs with each one and is there a noticeable difference in the performance between them? I’m not fussed about what wheels and the sporty stuff that comes with them just wanted to know what one is better, cheers

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The short answer is, the DCI is massively more economical but costs a lot more to fix when they go wrong, effectively writes the car off when/if it fails. - But it may go for 10 years and 100k without failing! but they are getting old now.

1.4 16v will probably do 40-45mpg in comparison to 60-70mpg in the dci, but they dont cost anywhere near as much when they fail and they are fairly reliable.

In terms of performance, it depends how you look at it, both are adequate to drive around in, a DCi 80 or 100hp will most likely feel faster than the 1.4 due to the torque but the reality is the 1.4 is probably the fastest of the bunch in a drag race, but of course a drag race isn't reflective of a real word scenario!

For me, after years and years of being a big DCI head, id say the 1.4 16v as the DCI's are just getting too old now, unless your good with spanners then id consider either to be a good choice

Renault Clio
The short answer is, the DCI is massively more economical but costs a lot more to fix when they go wrong, effectively writes the car off when/if it fails. - But it may go for 10 years and 100k without failing! but they are getting old now.

1.4 16v will probably do 40-45mpg in comparison to 60-70mpg in the dci, but they dont cost anywhere near as much when they fail and they are fairly reliable.

In terms of performance, it depends how you look at it, both are adequate to drive around in, a DCi 80 or 100hp will most likely feel faster than the 1.4 due to the torque but the reality is the 1.4 is probably the fastest of the bunch in a drag race, but of course a drag race isn't reflective of a real word scenario!

For me, after years and years of being a big DCI head, id say the 1.4 16v as the DCI's are just getting too old now, unless your good with spanners then id consider either to be a good choice
Thanks for the fast reply!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Depends what kind of driving you do most really!

short trips around town you don’t want a diesel.
Long motorway journeys is where the little DCI’s excel.

I’ve owned both 1.4 16v and 1.5 dCi. Both brilliant cars when used properly.