ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 172’s - Anyone else have problems starting theirs i

Hello,

Just about every morning when i go out and try and start my car, the engine never starts first time. If I then try again, it always fires up, no problem.

Once the car is running, the idle is very lumpy, it oftens feels/sounds like it is just going to cut out completely.

When I then drive off, as i accelerate the car hits some "flat" spots where it hesitates and feels like it is going to cut out again. It hasnt actually died yet.

After about 15 minutes, when the engine has warmed up, it all seems to be okay?

My car is going in to the dealers next week, so if anyone has any similar experiences or ideas perhaps you could let me know, so that i can pass the info on to the technicians at the dealers.

Thanks.

No problems starting it, but I do have something like the flat spot you describe.

I did make a post maybe a fortnight ago and several people said they had the same problem (basically the first bit of throttle did nothing, then it all comes in at once). It clears after a mile or so.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Runs like a dog first thing every morning. Dont depress the accelerator when trying to start it - doesnt help.

Mine goes great after about a mile, I think its the ECU keeping the fuelling down sos you cant rag it when its cold. 15 minutes sounds way too long though.

its all down to the new emmisions laws. Euo 3 has the same requirements as euro 2, however, it doesnt have the euro 2s 5 min warmup time, so the cat is ineffective cold....and it runs rough trying to keep emissionslow till the cat is hot enough to work properly.... thats all , nothing to worry about.

we have been having problems with hot starts however, trying to find out if its an immob prob or an injection prob, probably the later.

its all down to the new emmisions laws. Euo 3 has the same requirements as euro 2, however, it doesnt have the euro 2s 5 min warmup time, so the cat is ineffective cold....and it runs rough trying to keep emissionslow till the cat is hot enough to work properly.... thats all , nothing to worry about.

we have been having problems with hot starts however, trying to find out if its an immob prob or an injection prob, probably the later.

172 no more :(

Ive been experiencing the same problems as you Faceman.

Its been to the Dealers but they couldnt reproduce the problem so they didnt do anything. Im going to book it in and ask them them to try starting it first thing in the morning.

Exactly as you described it Faceman.
has to be turned over twice in the morning, and also the flat spots for a mile or so.
The computer seems to have more control of the car!!!

Yup,
I was going to start exactly the same thread..... spooky !

On a morning, if you turn it over, the engine fails to fire up. Release the key, and try again, and all is well. Once the engine is warm, it starts every time, even after its been in the company car park all day - no problem starting at 5pm. Just on a morning.

Ive got it booked into the dealers as a cold start problem on 29th August. Ive told them theyll need to keep it overnight, then theyve only got one chance to pick the fault up at first start attempt.

No doubt, one of their monkeys will drive it round to the service bays before they start their investigation. And lo.... the problem will not be reproducable.

Ill let you know what they say...

7.6cc :D

Mine always stutters slightly first thing in the morning, i thought this was normal?

Feels lumpy as you drive off, as though you have crap clutch control (very slightly), but only till you get 50 metres up the road then perfect!

Silver Fabia vRS

I have had this checked out by the dealer and they reset my ECU....no change. I agree with what Ben says about idling but mine used to never start from cold in the mornings after it has been sat all night. So I tried letting the engine idle for around 30 seconds when I got home one night...problem solved starts first time everytime now.

Dont know why but it works!

clio 20v

my mates peugeot 106 gti has started doing similar things except his is fine once running just takes ages to start in the morning, who was it who had the blue 106 with white wheels? did you have any problems with yours

Hi all, new here although I have been stalking around this forum as a guest for a while....Add me to the list of the dodgy morning starts. Ive also found that sometimes I can start it 1st time in the morning to move it out of the garage (before putting the house alarm on), turn off the ignition, come back a couple of minutes later to restart and the b@stard wont start again until about the 4th try! Again, the idling on mine is dodgy (even when warm), the gear lever vibrates a fair bit as well when idling. Other issues that Ive come across with my 172 (3-4K miles old) are:

- Bit "bouncy" and unpredictable on the motorway.
- Occassional "Rasping" noice when changing up a gear (especially when done at higher revs)
- "Had" 4th to 5th grating (still do occasionally - when @ high revs.

Well, the 172 went in for the cold start problem, also for condensation in the headlight. Guess what ? On the morning I took it in, no cold start problem and no bleedin condensation. Renault could not find any specific problem with the cold start, but their computer program mentioned to check some component in the steering column(?)
I cant quite remember what it was but something like a "dyson ring" - thats probably totally wrong. Memorys not what it was.....

So, they take the bit behind the steering wheel to bits, and check this component. No fault found.

The next day, when I go to start it, there a funny smell, but it starts. I think nothing of it.

The following day, the wife phones me up and says that when she started it this morning, smoke came from the steering wheel (!), and it did the same when she went to the gym at dinner time (!)

Well, what do you do ? - PANIC...
I told her to leave it at work and I would go and look at it when I got back from work.

So, I did. (Still with me ?)
When I started it, there was no smoke immediately, however, after about 2 seconds, a wisp of smoke appeared around the ignition. The smoke dissipated, so I drove it home, watching everything like a Hawk.

Phoned Renault and they said Bring it in again. Did just that, they take it apart and find that a connector block for the ignition loom is loose, and has been chafing on the steering rack. They blamed this on Toad as they had taken a feed from the loom during the alarm fitment.

Hold on a minute, says I. The alarm was fitted 5 months ago, with no smoke problems until you charlies take the column apart, then instant smoke.

Prove it, they say ! (or words to that effect)

Anyway, they replaced the charred ignition wire and checked the starter motor for damage, and refixed the connector block to where it should have been.

Guess what, the bloody car wouldnt start first time this morning....

Shudda bought a Skoda.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Horace, are you sure you are talking about your car? You mentioned a Dyson ring and smoke, are you confusing your car with your vacuum cleaner?

VW Potato

when mine plays grumpy puppy in the mornings, I give it a stern talking to and threaten no more Optimax for Puppy!.

This usually works. And therefore you should try it.

g