ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Clio 1.1/1.2 16v Cambelt and Gearbox

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Picked up a cheap 2004 Clio for a family member.

Clutch and cambelt need doing.

Now, I'm fairly confident I can tackle these after doing them in the 182, but I just wanted a little information going in to it.

Is it still necessary on the smaller engined Clios to drop the subframe to remove the gearbox?

Are the cam timing tools required for a belt change on the D4R? Anyone know the size of bolt I need to lock the crank?

Thanks in advance :)

Megane dci 130
I would remve the subframe. Piece of piss being that it has electric steering. Cambelt, no special tools needed.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Thanks guys, that's helpful.

I'm starting to doubt whether it needs a clutch or not, however the clutch it biting right at the top of the pedal (to the point where it is difficult to drive) which is probably made more difficult by there being some free movement at the top of the pedal, too.

Any suggestions on looking at the adjuster? I had a quick look at the mechanism, and all I can see is a sort of cam which the clutch cable sits in that goes behind the clutch/brake pedal?

Many.
Don't think theres any adjustment, being right at the top will be the clutch.

And it is best to drop the subframe, although as mentioned, electric PAS makes the rack easier as you don't have to split it from the subframe on the way down.

I'd maybe consider dropping the whole engine and gearbox out, doing both jobs then back in, it won't be much more work on that.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
So you can just leave the rack in place when dropping it? How does that work? surely it's still going to pull on the column?