ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 ph1 headlight removal

golf
Does it envolve taking the bumper off?

as one of the torx bolts are rounded so i cant get the fuker off

cheers

I was under the impression the bumper had to come off in order to remove the headlights. I'm sure you have to remove the headlight in order to change the headlight bulbs on the offside as the air conditioning pipes, etc... are right behind the unit (as I found out).

Btw, that's on the 172 models.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You don't have to take the bumper off to remove the headlamp unit. Just a grill off job.

You shouldn't need to remove the whole thing if you're just changing the bulbs...

As for side lights, i changed to the phillips blue vision ones that you get free from powerbulbs (when buying other bulbs). They're not really bluey and look a lot cleaner than my old yellowish ones.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to remove the whole thing if you're just changing the bulbs...

Have you ever tried changing a headlight bulb on the offside headlight on a Ph2 172? The nearside was fine but there is just no room to get your hand behind the offiside headlight.

I tried to do my mates but it was stupid. If mine goes, I might give Jeremy Beadle a call :)

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure about a/c - mines poverty spec!

He's asking about the ph1 non RS anyway :rasp:

Have you ever tried changing a headlight bulb on the offside headlight on a Ph2 172? The nearside was fine but there is just no room to get your hand behind the offiside headlight.

I tried to do my mates but it was stupid. If mine goes, I might give Jeremy Beadle a call :)

It can be done just a pain.

I was unable to remove the headlight bulb on my Clio mk2 driver's side, After taking it to the Renault mechanic, he informed me that the bumper had to be removed, at first I thought it was a joke, however I decided to take it to my local mechanic who had to remove the bumper put was able to do the job for £20 both headlights inc VAT, A result as Renault wanted £56 just for labour. The job is possible to do if you have small enough hand and are able to release the spring clip.

PH1 172 Sport
The first time I changed my headlights bulbs it tooks about an hour of fiddling. Yesterday one of my headbulbs blew and I replaced both in under 5 minutes. If you know how the bulb comes out its easy I dont believe anyone would pay to have there bumper removed just so somebody can change a bulb!!

Lots of Alfas
You have to take the bumper off on a 172mk1 or at least loosen the bumper, but on a normal mk2ph1 you can just unclip the lower grille to access the 2 lower bolts.