ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Ph1 or Ph2

220 Trophy, 172 Ph2
I have a Mk2 Ph2 1.2 clio and want to upgrade to the 2L sport but want to get some opinions first before I commit myself to a descision.

Do I buy a Ph1 or Ph2.......???????

I have had a mega good offer on a Ph1 which is mint but is it going backwards or is it just me. lol

Please, I really need help to decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

p.s. I have a full bodykit and headlight conversion for a Ph2 as well.

Theres advantages to both personally I'd go either a very late Mk2 or a Mk1.
The Mk1 has the manual throttle body which is better for response less elctrics to go wrong better suspension setup as standard (subjective though) less weight (well a bit less).
You can get Mk1's for £4k which is great value if the expensive cambelt has been done. Milage isn't a huge issue if its been done gently.
The engine and box are quite stong maybe at 70k you'd be looking at a new clutch say £250~300. But Mk2's with 40k can wear out clutches.
Your not going backwards just a change of direction.
You can fit the Mk2 kit to the Mk1 quite easily if you want a Mk1 with its manual throttle body and the Mk2 looks. (thats my preference)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Get a Ph1 so you cant use your bodykit....

The 172s get faster the more miles they have on them generally which is somthing to keep in mind, MK1 172 has as edde said the manual throttle body which makes it more responsive only thing i dont like about the MK1 172 is the dashboard.

personally id get a MK2 172 if you can afford one over the MK1 but its up to you!

I went for a Mk1 because I didn't want to wait for the Mk2's to come down to a level I could afford.

With hindsight in mind I should of waited as since Aug 04 the prices plummeted!

So many different reasons on what to go for it's impossible to perseude you in your choice.

Go with your instincts...

The early 172's were better built if that's any help ;)

its all about the coloured RenaultSport logo on the front seats... none of this grey logo stuff as found on the Ph2 ;)

Mk1 did it for me :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
How is a cable more responsive over fly-by-wire.Surely the instance of the wire is quicker than someone pulling a cable.Just inquisative

ian

Golf R/Leon FR
go for a ph1 dude imo i think they look better and you dont see as many about as the ph2's. but depends on what you like. if you look at any ph1's make sure they have a good service history and if they have had the cambelt changed if needed.

A well built VW
I used ti think Ph1's looked better but im starting to like the ph2's more and more esp AJR's Its down to what you prefer to look at The ph1 are rarer and will catch more people out who don't expect it

ian 182 said:
How is a cable more responsive over fly-by-wire.Surely the instance of the wire is quicker than someone pulling a cable.Just inquisative

ian
The Mk2 phae2 cars use electrics to operate the throttle bodies which is slower as you've got electric motors operating it all.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I got a Ph1 because I preferred the front looks of it over the Ph2, and also have found it to be amazing value for money since.

It kind of combines some of the toys of the full fat Ph2 172 with the weight of the Cup, albeit in a slightly older design. It works for me... :)

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
IMO, it's all down to personal preferences and your financial options...

i personally prefer the looks on the mk2, but couldn't afford a decent one at the time i was buying...so i picked up an mk1 and i never regreted it...

the differences are small, but noticable, mk1 has a better throttle response, smaller weight, different suspension setting (bit more tail-happy then the mk2 :))

the mk2 is a more refined car in terms of suspension and engine, but it has lost some of that pure hothatch character...however, it has a slightly nicer interior, the suspension setting is more sure-paced than mk1 and has better gearing (5th gear on mk1 is waaay to long IMO)...

anyway, there is hardly any difference in overall performance...it's all down to your personal taste and the money you're willing to spend ;)...

Red Clio 197 F1
Completely bias, but I love my Phase 1!

There is a lot you can do to it (cosmetically), it has all the kit that you really need plus the lovely coloured RS seats.

Yes the down side is the dog dirt dashboard, but then on the upside is the smaller and more tactile steering wheel.

Up to you my friend - you decide!!

Clio 172
I doubt you can go wrong with either. I have a ph1 and can't stop driving it. Since finding out more about the car, I prefer the cable controled throttle body, esp as I'm looking to tune the engine. The ph1 interior is hit/miss if you like the blue - great. Personally I'd prefer grey of the ph2.

Phase 2 all day long IMO, nothing wrong with the phase 1 its still a great car but i prefer the interior and exterior styling on the phase 2 and you get more toys too.

Scirocco GT 210
I wanted a ph2 when I bought mine but couldn't afford one, was initially disappointed but not anymore. Glad I got a ph1 to be honest.

Ph2 has has more toys yes but the only one I miss having are the xenons. I personally dont need things like auto-wipers, auto-lights, cruise control and climate control (instead of air con).

Ziel Nurburgring
Go and look at them both, decide which style you like best as they are pretty much the same performance wise. Personally i prefer the Ph2, or a Ph1 with ph2 interior, rear lights and rear bumper.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Ph2 all day long!!

Prefer the looks of the interior and exterior on the ph2, as for the fly by wire vs cable, there is a difference but its minimal, I wasn't looking for an all out hot hatch (and If I was I wouldn't have bought a clio at all), I wanted a fast, comfortable and refined small car which makes you smile when you drive it. The ph2 is exactly that!

Go test drive a couple of each and make your mind up, once you have driven both you can weigh up the pro's and cons for yourself

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
CrazyK said:
Ph2 all day long!!

I wasn't looking for an all out hot hatch (and If I was I wouldn't have bought a clio at all)

Bloody ell! What would you have looked at? I'm struggling to think of a hotter hatch :eek:

I wanted a phase 1, then changed my mind to a phase 2, then a bargain phase 1 turned up and I bought that. No regrets, love it. Since buying I'm pleased I ended up with a phase 1, you can get more for your money with a phase 1 at the minute. I wasn't bothered about the few extra toys and like others have said, they'd be big bills when they went wrong. Cruise control???? If I wanted cruise control I'd have a BM, I prefer to drive it myself lol. Seats are better in a phase 1 and there aren't many about, how many phase 2 172s do you drive past compared to phase 1s? The ratio's gotta be something daft like 10:1.

Dash does look better in the phase 2, but you'd just have to make sure you got a phase one in a colour that looked good with a blue dash - like YELLOW :D

Just make sure you drive one of each and go with your gut mate!

Clio 172 mk2
CrazyK said:
Ph2 all day long!!

Prefer the looks of the interior and exterior on the ph2, as for the fly by wire vs cable, there is a difference but its minimal, I wasn't looking for an all out hot hatch (and If I was I wouldn't have bought a clio at all), I wanted a fast, comfortable and refined small car which makes you smile when you drive it. The ph2 is exactly that!

Go test drive a couple of each and make your mind up, once you have driven both you can weigh up the pro's and cons for yourself

Agree

Prefer Mk2....lovely looking car, has a fair few toys is quick and comfortable too.

Cheap insurance and easy to live with:D

220 Trophy, 172 Ph2
Thanks for the advice will have a look around but been offered an exceptional Ph1 for good money.

I have a 1.2 Ph2 with a 172 interior and I have seen a lot of Ph2's at meets just not seen a lot of Ph1's.

Will have to make a decision soon as it's getting nearer the time.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
imo, the mrk 2 looks better from the back but u cant beat a rs1 front, !!! mrk2 interor is good but saying that the mrk1 171 isnt bad, driving its a different game, mrk1 way more fun , but is very twitchy, mrk2 feels a lil heavy but more stable car, if u want fun hot hatch with a few toys 4k mrk1 u will never look back, want somthing a bit bit more refined and a few more toys save 2 more k