ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Phase 1 172 - what to look for!

Clio 200 Cup
Hi,

New to Renaults so looking for some advice...i'm after a car for work after i sold my Focus RS lat year and i'm looking at a 172 as an option (cheaper than the RS of course).

So what should i look out for when looking at the phase 1 172?

At what mileage/age should the major jobs be done eg cam belt?

Does £4.5k sound ok for a 2000 X regd, 2 owners, FSH, 64k miles, silver phase 1 sound reasonable? its at a garage and the ad says it includes 12 months parts and labour warranty as well, i assume it has at least 10 months MOT as it was registered in Oct 2000.

Any help appreciated. :cool:

RB 182 FF/ CUP PACKS
(Cancel what was written here, sorry - the post I was referring to was not on this page and I can't find it now) - as for price, try watching Ebay and see what similar cars go for privately, then add +/- £700 for dealer markup & warranty ?

Last edited:
  Chocolate Bar™
4.5k is steep if its a silver one. You'd be looking at 3500 for one on lower mileage than that in silver. If its sunflower yellow prob looking at that much or one of the other rarer colours.

If it hasnt had its cambelt done dont bother as its well overdue. should be done at 5 years or 72k

Lots of Alfas
Make sure its had its cambelt/tensioners/aux belt done as its a £480-£600 job, check all the electrics and start from cold and start from warm. Check the driveshaft gaitors and take it for a good drive and listen for suspension noises/worn shocks and inspect the exhaust/mounts. Interior rattles are normal, and wear to the steering wheel and grab handles are perfectly normal.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Tbh prices on here are a bit lower than Joe Public prices, but, yeah, around £4k for a fairly decent nick, average miles, silver one. If the cambelt hasn't yet been done on that example then get the garage to do it before you go anywhere near it.

Above advice is all pretty common, don't worry if it's idling a bit lumpy when cold, most do.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
you should have been here a week ago.

some guy got rid of his immaculate modified Ph1 for peanuts. :(

main points to look for are...

FSH
cambelt change
engine mounts/dogbone mounts can fail
rear wheel bearings on higher mileage cars
cv's

plus all the usual stuff, they shouldn't look tired by any means.

there's lots of choice at the moment and people are getting some great deals privately

Clio 200 Cup
Just thought i'd update this....had a brief look at the one i mentioned in my first post but it was slightly worn seat, few scratches on the bodywork and alloys curbed...usual condition for a 64k mile car i think.

Anyway found another one this time private, 2001 X regd, 1 previous owner, FSH, 37k miles, silver for £4400....going to look at it this lunchtime.

Chocolate Bar™
^ yours was pre modded though

i paid 4.6k for my sunflower with a years warranty mot and tax however it was on 50k