ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 RS prices

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Theyre so cheap to buy and run as it is, i cant see how you can run them on any more of a shoestring than they already are.
I mean a full suspension refresh inc dampers, bushes, mounts, lower arms, track rod ends etc can be had from RPD for circa £400!
Four hundred quid!!
To basically renew the whole suspension system with genuine Renault parts.
I can't buy a pair of new rear tyres for my Cayman for a little as that!

Fantastic cars of which i absolutely love mine. Nothing this side of £20k would tempt me out of driving it every day.
130k miles (of which ive done most of) and i'll look forward to doing 130k more :)

Last edited:

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Ironically trophys are quite common with 500 made. The rarer colours are a 10th of that or less.

That's why nice colour ones been fetching good money last year or so.

Std cup pack car slightly easier ownership prospect without having to worry about Sachs.

Cars like r26r and trophy get all the press for dynamic ability and limited numbers. But std cars did is not sell in big numbers and a pretty rare sight and dynamically were class leaders till Ltd editions came out.
I've been saying this for ages about 172 cups, 1300 odd sold compared to 480ish flamers and monaco's

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
An LY 182 a month or so back was advertised more than most Trophy’s so it’s happening.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I paid £5000 for mine back in February albeit as part exchange on my old car. It's the least desirable colour being Titanium silver but it's very clean and only has 58k miles.

Ideally in the future I'd like something newer, an i30n but I'm reluctant to take out any kind of finance at the moment due to the current situation but I have to admit, I've grown very fond of this little car, I thought it was going to be shite coming from an Integra Type R and I've been so happy I've got it. It handles beautifully, the brakes are superb, the chassis and suspension is fantastic.

It's clean but not immaculate, the front bumper has a few scuffs and marks as does a little on the roof and two of the wheels need a refurb but it's pretty much stock. I've no real plans to tinker with it as they're increasing in value and it's bloody great as it is. I'd eventually like to get the wheels and bodywork done but I need to save some cash up first. It's going to be getting a full service early next year and it's got a FSH so I plan on keeping it that way and looking after it during my ownership.

I can imagine it's going to be worth a fair bit more in a few years time. There are hardly any 182's around my way (North Wales). I very rarely see any on my travels.

clio172cup
I nearly bought my mates black 05 plate 182 today, he said 2300 i said 2250 think its done 73k. Its a genuine nice car. Just a shame i've got nowhere to put it :-(.

What's even better is you may be able to pick it up. Use it look after it & sell it for more than you got it for.

Now that's cheap motoring.

The gain in value will offset the cost of maintence...... meaning people look after them and more nice ones stay on the road.

That's where I've found myself with my 172 cup, I bought it nearly 3 years ago with 93k on the clock for £1600 as I was after a daily driver that was fun but sensible (ish) on fuel.

It's done 134,000 now and easily still worth the same If not more than I paid for it 😎 It's had new brakes, suspension, injectors etc in that time though but i probably would have lost more money in 3 years on a "sensible" car!

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I constantly try to explain the principle to people that is you by a nice older car with a good reliability record at the bottom of its depreciation curve you can drive a nice car for little cost.

There are loads of cars i would like to own but its just picking the right time in there lifecycle toget in and out.

I think the understand bangernimics. Which is slightly different.

Although i think the main issue is they can't be bothered with the effort. Whereas its more of a hobby for me. Which also happens to be a way of minimising the second biggest expense in life.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I had a brand new M2 Comp for a year. Even with the discount we get for working in F1, I lost about £6k in a year of ownership. I consider myself very lucky at that!

Meanwhile the Clio, which is no less fun in my eyes, will probably owe me nothing. Can’t argue with those man maths. Clio’s are bloody awesome value for money. I just can’t justify getting rid (again).

182 cup
Well I have just jumped in a bought another Mk2 rs. You don’t get much for 3k now and it’s likely to be rusty so just beat to suck it up abs do the work to make it right..

I made the mistake of not keeping my mk1 16 valverso I am making a pact with myself to keep hold of this 182 and just make it right and to keep hold of it even when I get the itch for something else.

ps you can’t buy much for 3k these days so why not eh

Attachments

• DFA5B934-5F6C-42DD-A8E3-68C0316C1379.png
    DFA5B934-5F6C-42DD-A8E3-68C0316C1379.png
    3 MB · Views: 130
  Clio R.S 182 FF
I constantly try to explain the principle to people that is you by a nice older car with a good reliability record at the bottom of its depreciation curve you can drive a nice car for little cost.

There are loads of cars i would like to own but its just picking the right time in there lifecycle toget in and out.

I think the understand bangernimics. Which is slightly different.

Although i think the main issue is they can't be bothered with the effort. Whereas its more of a hobby for me. Which also happens to be a way of minimising the second biggest expense in life.
I couldn’t agree more. I run 6 cars (5 are my own, with the 6th being leased as a company car). If you exclude that car, the 5 cars that I own range from 15 through to 25 years of age. And I always get, “how can you afford it?” I then have to explain that 3 of the last 4 cars I’ve sold, have been sold for a profit, and it’s this profit that offsets most of the running costs. Sometimes I break even, other times make a little and sometimes lose a little. When I explain the depreciation of their 2 year old BMW you normally get a glazed look on there faces!!!!

The trick is always buying the right cars, with the right history, at the right time. And I don’t think there’s a better time than now for the 1*2’s; hence why I purchased my 182 a couple of months ago. He’s to lots of low cost (free) motoring 👌

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Well I have just jumped in a bought another Mk2 rs. You don’t get much for 3k now and it’s likely to be rusty so just beat to suck it up abs do the work to make it right..

I made the mistake of not keeping my mk1 16 valverso I am making a pact with myself to keep hold of this 182 and just make it right and to keep hold of it even when I get the itch for something else.

ps you can’t buy much for 3k these days so why not eh

Pretty sure i sold the owner of that car the Exhaust that's fitted to it about 6 months ago, i noticed it was up for sale on Facebook earlier. He's spent quite a bit of time and money on the car over the last 8-9 months by the sounds of it. So I'd assume that's going to be a good buy to be honest. Though I've not seen the car in person, only pictures.

I've owned 5 Clio 182's over the last 7 years, other than selling the first one to buy a family car, the rest I've sold to buy something that I though might be better, and regretted it, so then bought another. Whilst I do consider selling my RB Cup sometimes, I then drive it and remember why I keep regretting selling them. Hopefully I never have to sell it. My biggest issue right now is that i don't get much chance to drive it and commuting it to work would be dreadful, as it's mostly stop, start traffic and motorway driving.

182 cup
Pretty sure i sold the owner of that car the Exhaust that's fitted to it about 6 months ago, i noticed it was up for sale on Facebook earlier. He's spent quite a bit of time and money on the car over the last 8-9 months by the sounds of it. So I'd assume that's going to be a good buy to be honest. Though I've not seen the car in person, only pictures.

I've owned 5 Clio 182's over the last 7 years, other than selling the first one to buy a family car, the rest I've sold to buy something that I though might be better, and regretted it, so then bought another. Whilst I do consider selling my RB Cup sometimes, I then drive it and remember why I keep regretting selling them. Hopefully I never have to sell it. My biggest issue right now is that i don't get much chance to drive it and commuting it to work would be dreadful, as it's mostly stop, start traffic and motorway driving.
I picked it up tonight, it is tidy and the way the market is I think it was 3k we’ll spent. The exhaust looks new.

Unlucky-Racing

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I got a little frustrated when looking for mine. I wanted something cheap I could fix up myself. But there is literally no such thing as a sub £1000 1*2 with MOT and not needing any major work anymore.

I have an E46 320ci convertible I was willing to swap for one. One guy had a non running (alternator issue) arctic blue 182 that was ropey as f@%k. He 'didn't see them as the same value'. Would love to know what he got for that 182 in the end.

I found my car which was listed very poorly, had horrible stickers on and zero bids on ebay. Picked it up for £1350 (with a spare set of wheels I sold for £50) with MOT till March and spent about £300 on it to get it to a reasonable condition. I believe I could get almost £2k for it now.

There are always bargains about. But they are definitely going up in price and getting harder to find good ones.

We're witnessing the transition from an owner base that sees £4-5k as a lot of money for a car, to those who consider that to be a relative bargain.

Lots of people spend £4-5k every year to lease a car, so to drop that much on a Clio really isn't a big deal for many. And you don't need to spend too much to keep a Clio in good shape: £500 in an average year, £1,000 in a cambelt year.

If you're used to paying £2-3k a year to maintain cars then even at today's higher purchase prices the cost to buy and own a Clio is a revelation.

Clio R.S 182 FF
We're witnessing the transition from an owner base that sees £4-5k as a lot of money for a car, to those who consider that to be a relative bargain.

Lots of people spend £4-5k every year to lease a car, so to drop that much on a Clio really isn't a big deal for many. And you don't need to spend too much to keep a Clio in good shape: £500 in an average year, £1,000 in a cambelt year.

If you're used to paying £2-3k a year to maintain cars then even at today's higher purchase prices the cost to buy and own a Clio is a revelation.
Totally agree. I own various sports cars including a SL500 and Porsche Boxster S. Both those cars in the last couple of years have had a single service/repair bill of over £2k. That’s not total for both years, but the highest bills I’ve had to pay in the last couple of years. One was £2.6k the other £2.2k!
It makes my £2.3k I paid for my 182 FF with FSH & belts seem bargain of the century. And although both the SL and Boxster offer great driving experiences, they’re no better than the 182. Different yes, but certainly no more fun! And on the right type of road, I’d argue no quicker either!

Tell me about it...my Lotus Evora dropped an unexpected £7k bill on me last year. Although it was cheap as chips otherwise so amortised over several years' ownership it wasn't too bad.

Actually my Clio is in need of £££ as some plonker of a previous owner decided to roll the wheel arch which is now showing some rust. Still, I don't begrudge the spend, knowing that the car is retaining its value and maybe even appreciating.

Clio
Actually my Clio is in need of £££ as some plonker of a previous owner decided to roll the wheel arch which is now showing some rust. Still, I don't begrudge the spend, knowing that the car is retaining its value and maybe even appreciating.
Hi,

Rear arches were rolled from factory according to the workshop manual.

Thanks,

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
It’s the natural life cycle of this type of car really. They were dirt cheap a few years back and many fell into the wrong hands. The same can be said for the EP3, E46 M3, 106 GTi etc. Like many on here have said, plenty have been tracked, broken or neglected, which means the decent ones are becoming a little harder to find.

I paid £3k for mine in March this year. It’s got FSH and has a few goodies like trendlines, Turrini’s and a BMS fitted but it’s not without it’s niggles. I saw a few within my budget and most had issues that needed sorting or rot around the fuel filler. I certainly didn’t see anything for less than £2k that wasn’t rough.

It’s certainly worth spending a few quid on them now in preventative maintenance to keep things tidy but like most on here, I’m not arsed about making a small fortune in the future. It’d be nice but I bought it to have fun and enjoy those weekend blasts. All too often people buy cars when then start to gain value and mothball them so they don’t put miles on them. It goes against the ethos of the car. It’s afordable performance that’s cheap as chips to run. Pamper it but by all means use it.

Clio R.S 182 FF
It’s the natural life cycle of this type of car really. They were dirt cheap a few years back and many fell into the wrong hands. The same can be said for the EP3, E46 M3, 106 GTi etc. Like many on here have said, plenty have been tracked, broken or neglected, which means the decent ones are becoming a little harder to find.

I paid £3k for mine in March this year. It’s got FSH and has a few goodies like trendlines, Turrini’s and a BMS fitted but it’s not without it’s niggles. I saw a few within my budget and most had issues that needed sorting or rot around the fuel filler. I certainly didn’t see anything for less than £2k that wasn’t rough.

It’s certainly worth spending a few quid on them now in preventative maintenance to keep things tidy but like most on here, I’m not arsed about making a small fortune in the future. It’d be nice but I bought it to have fun and enjoy those weekend blasts. All too often people buy cars when then start to gain value and mothball them so they don’t put miles on them. It goes against the ethos of the car. It’s afordable performance that’s cheap as chips to run. Pamper it but by all means use it.
Well said 👍🏻

It is definitely a lot harder to find good examples, but they are out there. I got a 2005 182 Full Fat, 80,000 miles, 2 owners, FSH with Rentec, great condition and completely standard apart from the exhaust. Judging by prices I will be able to run the car for a year and still be able to make a profit on the car.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
I've been saying this for ages about 172 cups, 1300 odd sold compared to 480ish flamers and monaco's
Yes but now there are only a few hundred cups left.
The cup will always be more desirable due to what makes it a cup to an enthusiast looking for a 172

Unlucky-Racing

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yes but now there are only a few hundred cups left.
The cup will always be more desirable due to what makes it a cup to an enthusiast looking for a 172

This may be an unpopular opinion but I don't think the Cup is special enough that it will be more desirable than the likes of LY 182's and Trophys and in the long run only slightly more desirable than similar condition / mileage 172's. But only time will tell on that one.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Opinions...there's plenty of people who dont get the cups as well as there is those who do

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Probably more that it’s more difficult to get out there and collect cars at the moment. I have seen fewer offered for sale, but still plenty about. Some of the ‘home breakers’ are pretty shady in my opinion. Selling untested stuff for bloody fortunes.

Clio R.S 182 FF
Am I imagining it or has the amount of 1*2's being broken slowed down? Are they now worth more as a whole?
As prices start to rise slowly for the 1*2’s then it becomes more economical to repair, hence you get less broken for spares
Well duh. I was wondering if we are at that point yet🤷‍♂️.
okay, I’ll tell you the point we’re at.....

I looked up how many 182s are still about. Data based from Q3 2020. There’s less than 2/3rds left (3,700 out of 5,700) of which 1,700 are SORN! What does that mean? Ppl are buying these, not to daily, but as 2nd, 3rd cars to park up and leave.

So not only are the total numbers dropping fast, the SORN ones are climbing fast too. Once the SORN numbers go above the tax’d numbers, prices will rise quickly as demand outstrips supply.

4GTS/7.5R/182
I've been following 1*2 prices since early 2020 and it seems that:

- Non runners / no history / no belts are firmly over 1k, not much difference in price but fewer being sold at this price point
- Average condition / miles / owners has shot up quite a bit to around 3k
- Cars that look good on paper / low miles / low owners / decent recent history have gone up the most, with many examples now being advertised for 4.5-6k

The top end in particular has gone up from 3-4k (50%+) in the last 6 months alone. Whether they are selling at these prices I'm not so sure.