ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 V6 as an everyday car

I do about 60 miles a day to and from work and its just me and my girlfriend no kids. Im 28 and I have a good job and Im torn between a 182 with the cup packs and a V6. I looked briefly at a boxster S but its juts too boring and common.

I have an apartment with my girlfriend so we are sorted in that respect, I think I have thought things though but im throwing it open to you lot :) The girlfriend says "get whatever will make me happy"

So here are my questions...

1) Is the fuel consumption of the V6 so much more than the 182 or are they pretty comparable, would an extra 60-80 quid a month in the V6 tank be all the difference?

2) Im looking at roughly double the insurance cost for a V6 than a 182, about £1700 a year and £900 for the 182. Is it worth it?

3) Other costs e.g. servicing, tyres etc how do they differ?

My head is spinning on this one, the 182 make more sense practicly and looks good fun but I just have to look at a piccie of a V6 and I go weak at the knees, its just stunning!!.

Should I plump for the V6 for a few years and get it out my system?

cmon guys im reaching out here for some guidance...

Well id take a V6 over a 182 anyday. Here is how i found my 172 compared to my V6.

Fuel Consumption

172 = 28mpg V6 = 19.5mpg

Insurance

172 = £850 v6 = £980

Servicing

Serviceing costs are exactly the same. But tyres, pads and discs are more than double the cost of the 172/182 parts.

But if you have the monney for a V6 maybe there are better cars out there for you???? But for me there wasnt ;) But make sure you spend some time test driving some other cars like the 350z or RX8.

GW Clio 200

what a sensible post and a sensible answer from theroninv6... now all that will happen is loads of idiots will post saying v6 v6 v6 - as if there is NO other car. the v6 is by far one of the best looking cars i have ever seen but i think you are asking all the right questions before you spend your money. when i got my 172, i could have afforded the v6 but when i looked at the price/performance difference i just couldnt justify buying it no matter how good it looked. i looked at the bottom line which was i am paying a lot more money for not much more speed. but then if i wanted speed, i could have bought a scooby/evo. so bought the 172 and a scooby with the change! the only thing i regret it not having the looks/uniqueness (is that a word?) of the v. its a hard choice but i think i would go with the 182. test drive them both beware of the lovely noise the v makes - it will sway you towards buying it if you test drive it!!

2) Im looking at roughly double the insurance cost for a V6 than a 182, about £1700 a year and £900 for the 182. Is it worth it?

Who insures you mate? I am the smae age and pay 500 quid a year for a cup and this is with a claim and 3 points..elephant btw!

thats exactly where im at beacytan (thanks to you too RoninV6) It really is only the looks of the V6 that is keeping my attention and the noise of course, other cars in the similar price bracket just dont do it for me (rx8, 350z, boxster, scoob, evo). I want something with "uniqueness" ;)

My heart says YEY my head says NAY......

Thinking bout it ive only every seen 1 other 182 on the road, loads of 172s and never seen a V6 in motion in the flesh..

nobody yet brazo, had company cars all my working life up till now, trouble is my lasty company I worked for went down the pan and I have no idea who they used for fleet insurance so I can claim my no claims if any, so Im starting afresh with 0 NCB and 3 points TS20.

Tried elephant BTW, thats where I got 900 from...thanks anyway

GW Clio 200

keep your eye on this topic mate. it will be swamped by people saying v6v6v6v6v6v6 (mostly non-v6 owners!) and all common sense will be lost! the problem with v6 also at the moment, is its rapidly dropping prices. i think this will only stop once renault stop production of the v. as stated, you can buy from motorpoint or somewhere similar for £21k with all warranties etc. whats its gonna cost in a year? even cheaper i would bet. u can pick up a brand new 182 for 11-12k at the moment so as far a losing money is concerned the 182 wins everytime. my personal opinion is go for the 182 but then again i still kick myself everytime i see/hear a v. also think about if u want to give anyone a lift when u got the missus in. thats a no-no with the v. dont let the heart rule the head!

Renault Laguna Coupe

I had my 172 for almost 3 years and loved it. I do a lot of trackdays, and it was almost perfect - cheap to run and really fast. Anyhow I needed to change it, so it was either a 182 or the V6. I chose the V6 for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I just wanted one! And you have to want one - if you get too logical about it youll probably buy something else!

Performance. You really cant compare the 2 at all, despite what the figures might suggest. The V6 is massively faster. Itll happily pull from 20mph to 130 in 5th - theres so much torque - the powers there all the time. It also has much better steering and loads more grip.

Costs. I get about 24mpg in everyday use, and thats really the big difference - I used to get about 33 in the 172. The V6 has a bigger tank, so the range is about the same, it just costs more each time you fill up! Servicing costs seem to be about the same. My insurance went up from £450 in the 172 to £600 for the V6, so no problem there.

The attention it gets is simply manic. Everyone stares at it, if you park it to go shopping youll return to the car to find kids taking photos of it with their mobile phones.

Ive had no problems at all with mine - done 2000 miles since I got it in October. Even managed to squeeze in enough luggage for a weekend in Devon. Its actually got a lot more luggage space (behind the seats) than I expected.

Quote: Originally posted by bluerickshaw on 03 January 2005

nobody yet brazo, had company cars all my working life up till now, trouble is my lasty company I worked for went down the pan and I have no idea who they used for fleet insurance so I can claim my no claims if any, so Im starting afresh with 0 NCB and 3 points TS20.

Tried elephant BTW, thats where I got 900 from...thanks anyway
I actually have a claim and 3 points for speeding, have you tried putting your g/f on a sthis will reduce the premium with elephant?

Mark 1 Clio V6

I bought a mk1 and sold it after a year. Not for me. Too impractical, gets far too much attention for my liking.

Insurance isnt too bad. I am 28 and it only cost me £600 with Elephant. Servicing costs not that bad. Tyres and brakes are hellish however.

If youre doing 60 miles a day you will have to replace the rear tyres twice and the front once in about a years use. That will be about £600/£700 a year extra.Not sure about fuel for a 182, but you will have to spend about £80 a week (using Optimax) doing the miles you are doing in a V6.

Mate has a 182 and its very nice, although I wouldnt buy one.

Doing that kind of mileage I would advise against a V6 as your only car. If you can stretch to a separate car for commuting and use the V as a weekend toy - go for it!

S2000

Average fuel consumption for us is about 25mpg with quite a bit of motorway miles.

Is it worth double the insurance?? Hmm that is ALOT to pay for insurance, that would probably stop me buying one.

As said, servicing costs are about the same apart from the cost of parts. However if you get aftermarket brake pads for example you can get them way cheaper than the Renault items.

I would say insurance is the only issue. If you personally can afford that and dont mind paying that much for insurance then I say go for the V.

Oh btw, I have had a mk1 172 and a Cup and my wife has also had a mk1 172 so I know how they compare.

lets add something else into the mix...

Finance for it would cost me in the region of 450 a month, fuel another 200, insurance 100 month (after a 1000 deposit)

So thats 750 a month, more than my mortgage...

182 finance would cost me 250pm, fuel probably 150, insurance 100 with no deposit.

So thats 750pm vs 500pm...

This is the bit where my head says "dont be stupid" I need to find a picture of a V6 quickly somebody post one :)

we have had 2 x 172, 172 Cup and the Vee

insurance (not so bad for us cos Im an "oldie"!!

mpg - I do a lot of miles in it, mostly motorway, but also drive it in London - average is 24-25mpg

there is more space than you first think - we can go away for 5 days with 2 helmets in the car and manage!

we looked at Evo 7/8, 350Z, RX8 etc., and none took our fancy like the Vee

it does attract a lot of attention - if that is goin to bother you dont buy one.

the 182 is also, I believe, an excellent car, well worth the money - its just a different car altogether, but none the worse for that!!

it is like Mike said, if you "have to have one" then do it, maybe if you dont "have to have one" you would be better off with a 182?!?

disclaimer - the above is only my opinion, and everybody is free to disagree with it without comeback!!! ;) however, it is based on over 200k miles in RS cars over the last 3 years - and a lot of driving of many different cars over a long time.

GW Clio 200

bluerickshaw - you have been so lucky mate! if u do a search on v6 topics, they are always hijacked by the 1.2 (sport) gang swearing on their mothers eyes that the v6 is the ONLY car in the world and they are gonna get one as soon as the next giro comes through. you have had opinions from the most sensible v6 owners and ex-owners instead of loads of daft replies from people who really dont know a lot about vs. now the hard bit is on you mate - YOU gotta choose! i know how u feel cos i was there myself. if you do choose the 182, like i said, you will have that feeling (like i still have!) whenever you see a v. but then i think about the money i saved and the amount of times i used my back seats etc. the choice is yours! i dont envy you at the moment mate!

S2000

It all really depends on what you can comfortably afford. If the cost of the V is a stretch or will leave you with no money each month then its probably not wise. However, if you have a spare couple of grand (for arguments sake)just knocking about each month then why not.

if I went for the V6 and based on my costings previous I would have in the region of 1600 left every month. My mortgage and house bills, food shopping etc combined is about 1000pm so that will leave me 600pm to well either spend or save.

Is that cutting it a bit tight do you think??

Finance for it would cost me in the region of 450 a month, fuel another 200, insurance 100 month (after a 1000 deposit)

182 finance would cost me 250pm, fuel probably 150, insurance 100 with no deposit.

This is the bit where my head says "dont be stupid" I need to find a picture of a V6 quickly somebody post one :)
Do proper accountancy lol! When the 1k deposit is inlcuded its more like 830 a month vs 500 a month!

Jeez am I garateful for a comapny acr and fuel card!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by brazo on 03 January 2005 at 12:03pm]

Mark 1 Clio V6

Get a 182 and spend the £3k a year you will save on a good holiday! That will keep you in the good books of the missus as well!

You will actually save more than that as the wear and tear costs will be much less also.

Have you thought about anything else? Loads of cars about for that kind of money. Focus RS?

My opinion of the V6 coupled with the fact that my girlfriend is pregnant changed over the last year. The novelty of everyone being your friend because of your car and morons stopping you to take a picture and ask about your car at every corner wore a bit thin after time. I also found myself worrying about where I parked it all the time.

im swaying towards the 182 i must admit.....if I want it I can get a brand new titanium 182 + both cup packs delivered to my door by the end of the week for 12,350.

Well as with any car its very important that you can afford to buy it and run, the "Head" is more important than the "Heart" in that respect.

If £750pm is NO problem to you then get the V6 (you will love it), however if youre going to strugle on that amount of money get the 182, they are great cars too...:D

Simon.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1102211722__Imga0232.jpg

MINI JCW

get the 182 it was faster than the V6 round top gears test track, and its only half the price. Seriously though if i was going to spend 25k on a car i wouldnt buy a clio

Its your choice, if you can afford it get the car you want

Ill run and hide now!

Get a V6. Keep it a year. If after that time you cant afford it, get rid and get a 182. That way you have lived a dream. I intend to do a similar thing with a Ferrari 355 in a few years time (and so also i wont have to spend alot on servicing).

However, if after a year you love it and can easily afford it. Keep it.

Simple.

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 03 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 03 January 2005

get the 182 it was faster than the V6 round top gears test track,

Why do people keep quoting that rubbish?

The 182 was on a bone dry track where as the CLIO V6 was in the pouring rain, have IQs dropped while I was away???

You can knock a good 4-5 seconds of the V6s times (down to around the 350Z time), so dry time would beat 182 times....:D

I just wish TG did all the times on that times board in the same conditions

Simon

What about a diesel Clio or Fabia VRS?

Even if your only driving back and forth to work youll save about £600/yr on fuel a Clio will save you about 50% on servicing costs since it only neeeds servicing ever 18k. Insurance will be less and you should be able to pick up a 65hp dci with a Yrs free insurance for about £9k since a 182 for 1 yr on the road will be close to £14k so your already £5k saved for a weekend car or an expensive holiday.

MINI JCW

get the 182 it was faster than the V6 round top gears test track,

Why do people keep quoting that rubbish?

The 182 was on a bone dry track where as the CLIO V6 was in the pouring rain, have IQs dropped while I was away???

You can knock a good 4-5 seconds of the V6s times (down to around the 350Z time), so dry time would beat 182 times....:D

I just wish TG did all the times on that times board in the same conditions

Simon
take 4 seconds off and the V6 beats the 182 by a sec, which is pretty poor considering it costs twice as much.

Scruffy blue 182

In my opinion, Youve got to really want a V6. If you think about the practicality and the cost, logic dictates that its not the car to buy. Even then, if your head still wants a V6, then get one. I considered the V6, but with two kids, it just wasnt practical unless I bought the wife a Senic or something. Then it starts to get very expensive!

At the end of the day the V6 is a fantastic car, but would you pay £27K and group 20 insurance for a Clio?

Clio v6

Do you have a garage to get it in and keep it a little cleaner?

As for the speed issue.

70 mph in a 182
70 mph in a v6

Nothing in it :)

take 4 seconds off and the V6 beats the 182 by a sec, which is pretty poor considering it costs twice as much.

Here we go again;), the V6 will be at least as quick as the 350Z on a track, which is almost 2 seconds a lap faster than a 182.

Whats the average lap speed that track? if its only 85mph average then a 2 sec lead = almost 20 car lenghts....just on ONE lap, quite enough for me thanks, just think after 20 laps that would equal 200 car lenghts in front.....lol

I am teasing of course, if you can afford the V6 then get one, as I have already said, if you can not then buy a 182, both are rapid cars.....;)

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by James on 03 January 2005

Thats a good point, I wouldnt want a V6 unless I could keep it from prying hands in a Garage?, No way would I want a £27k car parked in a street or drive way?

Simon.

Thats a good point, I wouldnt want a V6 unless I could keep it from prying hands in a Garage?, No way would I want a £27k car parked in a street or drive way?

Simon.

lol i park mine on my drive in a pretty rough area, so far no damage.

For everyday use you would be suprised how practical it can be, I do my weekly shop at tesco with the mrs in mine and we can fit all the shopping in without any real problems at all. 10 full bags and 2 boxes of beer.

For insurance try renault insurance thats who i use and am 24 and its about 980 a year.

Quote: Originally posted by TheRoninV6 on 03 January 2005

Simon.

Really? brave man...lol;)

Simon.

Mini Cooper S sport

If you see a V6, you just HAVE to stare at it...they are such attention-grabbers.

I would say, if you can comfortably afford one, then DO IT. I think its what you really want, and youre hoping forum members will justify it!! ;)

If itll leave you short of cash, get a 182. I would personally have a 182, even if I could afford a V6, just because I think they are more practical and less flashy (Id be too terrified to leave the V6 anywhere).

Quote: Originally posted by TheRoninV6 on 03 January 2005

Simon.

Really? brave man...lol;)

Simon.

yup, when i moved out of the parents place to where i live now my insurance on the 172 went up by nearly 300 quid a year.

E91 M Sport

What the others have said....if youre a petrol-head and you love cars that are plain stupid and youll have £££ left over each month then go for the V6. Ive had some interesting cars before, but none of them have had the cool feel of the V6, its one of those cars I will have been glad to own when I look back. :D

Having said that, if it will leave you short of cash, try and imagine this: Its November, its raining, you need new tyres, a new clutch, a £45 tank of fuel - and this isnt because you want to go out posing, its just because the car needs it! The point being, unless you really really must have it, the sensible choice would be the 182, and its just as quick and fun to drive on UK roads.

Well bluerickshaw.................most of the above replies give you all the information you need to make your decision..........being, I think, the youngest Vee owner.............just had to get that one in eh :D..............I dont think my opinion really counts cause I wanted a Vee for probably dif reasons than you.

But what I would say is that if you are in any way even remotely thinking about kids you might be better off thinking about the 182.

As for insurance.....if you can prove that you have been a company car driver then most companies WILL cerdit you with something.........maybe just 10% but its something eh ;)...................also after the first year and given your age the premium will start to tumble very quickly if you can stay claim free.

By the way at 20 Im paying £2500 odd for my insurance :eek:

As far as the looks and attention go ALL of the attention I have had, be it from the police or chavs has not been heavy but genuine interest................I recon its because people respect the Vee more than say a scoobie or an evo (no offence intended).

In my own case it was a MUST have situation I just couldnt resist.........and I have no regrets even with the high cost of insurance which WILL come down big time come the renewal :D

Although another option might be to get a used say Mk1 and another car for commuting but it can be expensive eh :(

Cya Stu

PS by the way (shout this) ITS A v6 ALL THE WAY OH YEAH :D

All of the above is only my opinion

[Edited by stusV6 on 03 January 2005 at 4:37pm]